Titanfall and Titanfall 2

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
mikeleddy83

Re: Titanfall

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Flabyo wrote:The first DLC is end of May, adds some more maps and continues the campaign story (woo).
I might've played the campaign thrice but woo sums it up perfectly.

My knowledge of the story is as follows:
"There is a character in there at some point called Graves" (even then I can't really be sure I've nailed that one down)
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

Apparently the PC version has lost a couple of modes (Capture the Flag, Pilot Hunter) due to a lack of players, and the XBox One and 360 versions are likely to follow suit. I've really enjoyed my time with Titanfall, but a lack of modes has been a real problem for the game. Ignoring the bad omen that is waning interest in the game, I'm curious as to how EA can do this from a legal point of view. Surely if you've paid money for a game then the publisher can't remove features at a later point and not compensate you in some way? I know that online games have their servers shut down, but normally this is years after release, and not barely 3 months later.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I suspect some of this is down to how the Azure servers are funded. My hunch is that XBO games get them subsidised but PC ones don't.

Dropping unpopular modes is nothing new though, and CTF is particularly poor in Titanfall. Nearly everyone plays Attrition or Hardpoint, which suit the game mechanics really well.

As for the legal aspect? This is the age old 'you don't actually own the software, you own the licence to use it', and the terms and conditions will definitely have a 'service can be withdrawn' clause in it.

No-one has ever attempted to challenge this kind of software licence in court, because hey, who can afford to?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Capture The Flag doesn't work as the Titans unbalance it I feel. But if you removed them it wouldn't be titanfall.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

It's still in there, it's just in the Variety Pack mode now (same for Pilot Hunter.)
I think it's a good move.
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

Just bought this game. Can't wait to get stuck in, have heard good things from friend. Woo hoo.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Yeah its great and I'm playing on 360. It feels like it'll take a long time to learn the maps and the best ways to travel around them. Then there's your titans and the load outs for Them. So many layers.
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

Seems like a few people are playing it on the 360 these days. Fancy setting up a private game at some point? Apparently there's been an update to reduce the number required to 2
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Yeah definitely, I'm away this weekend but we'll get one sorted soon.
The_Rooster

Post by The_Rooster »

Yeah I'm keen for that. Struggling to get to grips with the game. Had nearly 50 matches and won about 10. Think I need some decent squads to play with.
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

I know, getting my ass handed to me repeatedly. But when I play a good game it's an absolute JOY.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I've been weirdly successful with Titanfall (on Xbox One). For some reason its rhythm and pattern of play have really clicked with me and I usually finish fairly high up the MVP rankings even when I'm up with/against people with much higher overall rankings.
FUN! :)
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I do miss it, actually. I should knock the settings down a touch and play it without destroying my PSU.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

If I can ever get my copy working again, I'll join you Darren. I've played with Darren F before. When that game is working it's brilliant.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Just put a note in the 'Whatcha Been Playing' thread on how much I'm enjoying Titanfall on Xbox One. Like Leon says above, it seems to have just clicked with me, and while I'm not great by any stretch I'm not as completely dreadful as I am at most online shooters I've ever tried!

I'm usually online for a few hours from about 9pm a couple of times a week so if anyone fancies a game just add me (gamertag - Cpt Rip Murdock) and I'll always be up for some giant robot based warfare!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I shall add you on Live, sir.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

That would be grand :)
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Aaron Paul still remaining humble with an ad for Titanfall in which he gets taught how to play!

NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

That's actually a really great advert.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

You can name your titan and pilot load outs now which makes things easier :)