The Binding of Isaac

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
James

Re: The Binding of Isaac

Post by James »

dezm0nd wrote:Wow, look at him! Incredible stuff. Well done JC!
Thanks! Figure I should make the most of it, before the hammer drops and everything gets tougher.

Just found this as I was looking for the name of the scythe tears item: http://platinumgod.co.uk/rebirth
A lovely pictorial guide to the items, trinkets and consumables of Rebirth. There's a page for the original game too, and a handy search function to narrow down the item if you know what you're looking for.
Aces! :mrgreen:
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

that link is top!
great find.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Nice! I'm struggling to even get close to Satan at this point. I think I need to give it a rest and come back another time. Its testing my poor twin stick shooter skills!
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

dezm0nd wrote:Nice! I'm struggling to even get close to Satan at this point. I think I need to give it a rest and come back another time. Its testing my poor twin stick shooter skills!
do you use the sticks or the buttons?
I've been pretty much exclusively on the d-pad and face buttons
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I find after a mammoth session I need to start using the buttons for shooting, my thumbs start slipping off the sticks, but mainly I've been sticking with the sticks. The buttons are ok for shooting, but I'm not keen on using the DPad for movement.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

WTF!? I just beat Mom (not Mom's Heart) and had a pretty awesome build of Lazarus, when a door opened as well as the hole to the floor below. I went through the door and saw loads of items. I collected one and then just got spammed with boss after boss after boss!? I beat loads of them, fought for ages before dying and being dumped on the next floor with three soul hearts. Is that room I was in winnable? Never seen it before, it was crazy!
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Welcome to the Boss Rush! you get it if you beat mom in under 20 minutes and yeah you can beat it but I think they throw almost every boss in the game at you there but I didnt know you could die there and still continue that's interesting.
James

Post by James »

Yeah, I assumed death in the Boss Rush room was final. My only encounter with it was at the end of a challenge. That was a rather tense experience, assuming I wouldn't complete the challenge if I died. Thankfully I got lucky and managed to see off all the bosses.

More good luck was me finishing off Satan for the third time, this time with Judas. I was greeted by a sign that read "Everything Is Terrible", signifying that the game would now be harder. Yay! :shock:

Oh well, once more unto the breach!
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

I thought that was a Lazerus thing, if you die, you get put back to the previous room with a soul heart?
James

Post by James »

RoboticMonk3y wrote:I thought that was a Lazerus thing, if you die, you get put back to the previous room with a soul heart?
Of course, you're right! I had missed that. Glad that I didn't die in the Boss Rush room then!

That said, for challenges, it's possible to skip Mom's Heart (using an I AM ERROR Room or We Need To Go Deeper item) and that will not count the challenge as completed. It's possible dying in Boss Rush as Lazarus might also cause problems.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

I found the boss rush room odd.
It was crazy difficult, but I found that a lot of hearts were spawning on the floor.
I could have just been lucky with that though...
James

Post by James »

No, there were plenty for me too. It might depend on the items and passive abilities you have, though.

I was only really hampered by the red poop that one or two of the bosses covered the floor in. It rendered the lower third of the room very tricky to navigate, and was tough to see amongst the frankly alarming amount of blood that covered the floor.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Finally got out of my rut of playing poorly and made it back to Sheol. Saving that for later.

I do love the resume feature! :D
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

dezm0nd wrote:I do love the resume feature! :D
wait, what?
how?
James

Post by James »

RoboticMonk3y wrote:wait, what?
how?
Vita, surely! :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It saves anyway. There's always a continue option below new run on the title screen.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Select "Exit Game" during any moment of a run and you can continue it later.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

dezm0nd wrote:Select "Exit Game" during any moment of a run and you can continue it later.
mind blown
James

Post by James »

FNAARRGH!
The "BEANS!" challenge is such a pain in the bum. You have no tears, 99 Bombs and the Bean and Black Bean items (toot on damage and on the usable ability); it sounds like it should be alright, but the bombs soon run out and the Bean ability takes so long to recharge that you either have to avoid enemies until you can use it again or bomb your way through doors. I've been trying to do it al day and have only made it to Mom once. :cry:
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Back on the good run train! Hooray!

Killed Isaac in the Cathedral twice this morning, completing more of the polaroid. Still need to make that Negative, too but i'm finding Sheol much harder.