Microsoft Xbox news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Suits

Re: Microsoft Xbox news and discussion thread

Post by Suits » March 29th, 2018, 11:17 am

I took the plunge, lets see what all this 4K is about.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » March 29th, 2018, 11:30 am

Nice shoes, man. :P

Have fun!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » March 29th, 2018, 11:36 am

I feel like I might be partly responsible...
:o :oops: :twisted:

Suits

Post by Suits » March 29th, 2018, 11:53 am

I’m not going to lie, I did spare more than a slight thought about it after chatting the other night :lol: .

I ended up doing some research into the smallest screen I could get, that would suit the requirements for an X (4KUHD, HDR, low input lag and high refresh rate) and this was on offer for £369 – which was low enough for me to start to considered making the upgrade to an X.

Then, I wondered if there were any Scorpio editions still out there and found a brand new still sealed one on eBay for £409.

It something I was always going to do, the stars just had to line up for me and they did on this occasion.

Just got to hold on until my house/office is finished and I can set it all up and mess about with it 😊 - about a week hopefully.

countstex

Post by countstex » March 29th, 2018, 2:19 pm

Welcome to the Scorpio club! :D Warning, an increased interest in backwards compatible enhanced games is highly likely! ;)

kintaris

Post by kintaris » May 17th, 2018, 3:23 pm

So State of Decay 2 seems to be dividing opinions somewhat, though only a handful are praising it, including my fellow podcaster Mark.

It seems the main complaint is a bog-standard open-world setup combined with bugs galore - Eurogamer in particular got quite savage about the latter. Weirdly, Mark barely experienced any bugs and a lot of them disappeared with the first patch, so his opinion has ended up looking skewed towards the positive.

Anyone here giving it a go? I'm so tired of zombies so I won't bother!

It's still not looking great for Microsoft on the exclusives front as we march on to E3, though the hype really wasn't there for SoD2 in the first place.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » May 17th, 2018, 5:12 pm

I was looking forward to it, but I'm not so sure now. The first game didn't get great reviews either, and I loved it. However I'm not seeing a whole lot here to differentiate it from the first game.

I haven't seen it expressly stated anywhere, but some are hinting that the resource management stuff is the same as the first game - in that your supplies get consumed while you are logged out and not playing the game. This means that every time you play, you have to restock all your supplies before you can get round to playing proper. The devs were not receptive to changing that at the time, and if it's the same thing again I don't know whether I'll pick it up.

It's also exclusive to Windows 10 on PC, and only available from the Windows store. I'm sure it'll appear at other outlets later on but it seems like they are shooting themselves in the foot on this one.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » May 19th, 2018, 11:42 am

542 comments on that Eurogamer review now; clearly the first game did something right.

I’m a bit conflicted now; we shouldn’t be saying, we’re ok with buggy messes, but it’s such an intriguing game.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » May 19th, 2018, 1:26 pm

Chopper wrote:
May 19th, 2018, 11:42 am
we shouldn’t be saying, we’re ok with buggy messes
It's not like that has ever stopped anyone before, considering Bethesda's cachet within the industry.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » May 19th, 2018, 2:21 pm

It was your (old) comment on the mass effect andromeda thread that has put this to the front of my mind :)

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » May 19th, 2018, 2:40 pm

Oh snap, I just went and re-read that and I sound like a complete ideologue, what the hell?! :lol:

2017 me: frothing at the mouth over glitches in a game he's not playing. Stay classy.

countstex

Post by countstex » May 21st, 2018, 5:04 pm

Linda and I will be playing this at some point. Played a far bit of the original, but it always felt like a game that needed some multiplayer to brighten up the downtime. I've seen complaints that it's a bit dull and methodical, but for me that's capturing the reality of a zombie apocalypse. It's a game about surviving, not thriving.

Suits

Post by Suits » June 7th, 2018, 1:51 pm

Crackdown 3 is delayed again then.

That's a shame, I'm a big fan of the first one and the 2nd was, or felt like a cheap 1.5 of sorts to me, so I'd be pretty excited about the 3rd entry.

Not much of a surprise then as there has literally been nothing about the game since it missed the Xbox X release date.

I wonder what the issue are, technical, or just that it's not panning out as they need - gameplay wise.

countstex

Post by countstex » June 8th, 2018, 7:41 am

Rumours are it's awaiting a beta of another Microsoft game to be ready to be a pack in.

Suits

Post by Suits » June 8th, 2018, 8:11 am

countstex wrote:
June 8th, 2018, 7:41 am
Rumours are it's awaiting a beta of another Microsoft game to be ready to be a pack in.
Wow, that seems like a brave decision.

To starve a console that is in desperate need of some individuality for the sake of pack in BETA, when you could roll the BETA out digitally anyway - yeah, that's a brave, confidant move if it's true.

You get the impression that Spencer knows his onions, so if he's made that decision, then I'm sure he has a plan he's confidant in.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » June 8th, 2018, 9:49 am

You know how the Z.O.E. HD collection included a demo for Metal Gear Rising as a throwback to the MGS2 demo included in the original? What if... Crackdown 3 came with a Halo 6 beta as a similar throwback?

Microsoft have been surprisingly quiet about anything Halo-related since the release of the fifth game three years ago. If there's a game that they would feel confident enough about to bet all their chips on, Halo 6 would seem like an obvious choice.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » June 8th, 2018, 9:53 am

Halo 3 was a big deal though, I don’t think enough people care that much about 6.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » June 8th, 2018, 9:59 am

True, but this might very well change with a bombastic trailer coupled with a Crackdown-Beta bundle releasing only one week later. It's obviously not the hottest new thing anymore, but let's not forget just how massive Halo can be under the right circumstances.

Suits

Post by Suits » June 8th, 2018, 9:59 am

I was one of those people that used the original Crackdown as a way into the Halo 3 BETA, so I fully believe that that may have been a pull for people previously unfamiliar with the franchise to buy the game - as EVERYONE was waiting for Halo 3.

I don't know, with the way that current Alpha's and Beta's are rolled out this would seem like an odd decision to me. It just seems like an old way of doing things that would just unnecessarily reduce your Beta participation.

A GamePass member invitation would seem more appropriate perhaps.

I stand to be corrected I suppose.

countstex

Post by countstex » June 8th, 2018, 3:57 pm

Wonder is Fable 4 will get any attention at this E3? Still too early maybe?