E3 2018 - Conference times and general chat

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Re: E3 2018 - Conference times and general chat

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum » June 13th, 2018, 4:11 pm

ThirdMan wrote:
June 13th, 2018, 10:17 am
All of the references to The Witcher 3 are getting tiresome
Agree. Cyberpunk isn't The Witcher! It's not in the same series or related to it in any way. It's just coming from a developer who's previous games were third person, but why can't they change that? They're the artists doing their thing and if first-person's a deal breaker for people then don't buy game when it's done.

I'm not saying people can't be disappointed if FPS' really aren't for them and they were hoping for third person (especially feel for those who get motion sickness), but the folks who are actually angry about it need to get over it. Maybe the game just isn't for you - move on. Play Assassin's Creed Odyssey instead. That looks cool...

Suits

Post by Suits » June 13th, 2018, 4:12 pm

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote:
June 13th, 2018, 4:02 pm
.....gives them the win for me.
For the want of a better, less widely used term - I think it's easy to 'Win' E3, it's harder and more important to deliver on E3.
Xbox - Suits
PSN - Suterovich
Nintendo Switch - SW-0866-4803-1890
N3DS - 5370-1662-1949

Todinho

Post by Todinho » June 13th, 2018, 4:22 pm

KSubzero1000 wrote:
June 13th, 2018, 7:55 am
Todinho wrote:
June 13th, 2018, 1:05 am
They just confirmed that the RE2 Remake wont have any fixed camera angles or tank controls and that they are doing away with the zapping system. Might as well call this Resident evil 8 now I dont care.
...FUCK.

I was secretly hoping they might offer two separate modes within the same engine. I am so disappointed. How hard can it be to follow the greatest remake in video game history? :(

Edit: Would you mind sharing your source when you have the chance?
In the gameplay footage video I put here they talk about that.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » June 13th, 2018, 4:29 pm

Ah, okay. But that could also be interpreted as them saying that the OTS camera is the primary camera. Fairly trustworthy leaks are suggesting that the fixed camera angles have been apart from the project since the beginning, and that they are still being worked on at the moment (as a separate mode, of course).

I know there's only a small chance, but I refuse to give up hope.

More thoughts to follow after watching the two upcoming gameplay demos on https://www.twitch.tv/CapcomUSA later today.

Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum » June 13th, 2018, 4:44 pm

Suits wrote:
June 13th, 2018, 4:12 pm
June 13th, 2018, 4:02 pm
.....gives them the win for me.
For the want of a better, less widely used term - I think it's easy to 'Win' E3, it's harder and more important to deliver on E3.
I wouldn't say the winning is easy, but you're 100% right that delivering on the promises made is much MUCH harder!

Anyone seen that FF7 remake around?

Me neither...

kintaris

Post by kintaris » June 13th, 2018, 7:42 pm

I enjoyed Nintendo's Direct but I fully appreciate that if you're not interested in Smash, it was probably pretty bad for you...
Sam Quirke - @kintaris

ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing » June 13th, 2018, 8:04 pm

Call of Cthulhu trailer if anyone is interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHrTKSr ... e=youtu.be

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » June 14th, 2018, 8:53 am

Alex79uk wrote:
June 12th, 2018, 11:46 pm
And Ghost Of Tsomething looked awful to me! Certainly not a current gen title, let alone one released as we heard towards the end of the PS4 lifespan.
Seriously? This looked awful to you?

Blimey!

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » June 14th, 2018, 10:00 am

My issue with Ghost of Tsushima is twofold: It seems to be a very cinematic open-world game, which are already not my cup of tea. I could look past that however if the setting proved to be fresh and interesting, but feudal japan-themed action games seem to be the hot new thing nowadays, and Nioh 2 + Sekiro being set to release within the same time frame kinda took the wind out of GoT's sail for me.

Still, the trailer looks gorgeous and the Mongol Invasion period could make for a very interesting story if done right. Tentatively looking forward to it.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » June 14th, 2018, 10:14 am

Yeah, I'm not necessarily saying that it looks utterly incredible, or that it's definitely my cup of tea, but I was surprised at Alex' especially negative description as regards to the technical/aesthetic side.

Also yes, current trends in gaming - outside of battle royale - definitely feudal Japan and prosthetic/augmented/robotic arms. Often both at the same time.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » June 14th, 2018, 11:00 am

ratsoalbion wrote:
June 14th, 2018, 10:14 am
I was surprised at Alex' especially negative description as regards to the technical/aesthetic side.
Yeah I just thought graphically it looked quite poor, terrible voice acting too. I was watching it on my phone, mind...

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » June 14th, 2018, 11:13 am

Interesting. I think the visuals look pretty swish!
Anyone else have opinions?

Chopper

Post by Chopper » June 14th, 2018, 11:19 am

When I watched it I was thinking, how many PS4s did they tape together to run this? :o

And before anybody replies, I know that's not how it works ;)

Suits

Post by Suits » June 14th, 2018, 12:46 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
June 14th, 2018, 11:13 am
I think it looks very good, the lighting gives it real depth and atmosphere, the way the God Rays bounce off wet surfaces and the blood on his Katana are subtle but effective.

However, I can perhaps see shortcomings in what Alex is edging towards - as a preference.

I tend to land in an art style that falls between the realistic but fantasy direction.

I think God of War did it very well and Zelda:BotW did it very well also - so by those comparisons alone you can see that I have a very broad scale.

I generally dislike games that go for full on photo-realistic styles/direction, it's an impossible goal I think.

It's very subjective though, of course.
Xbox - Suits
PSN - Suterovich
Nintendo Switch - SW-0866-4803-1890
N3DS - 5370-1662-1949

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » June 14th, 2018, 12:55 pm

I think in isolation it looks pretty good. But in the context of e3 where there have been multiple similar looking titles announced, the trailer doesn’t do a job of explaining what is unique about it.

But then I think the combat part of the Last of Us 2 trailer would be indistinguishable from the combat part of the Shadow of the Tome Raider trailer if you didn’t know who the main characters were.

I am so very bored of third person grim and gritty realism, post apocalyptic or otherwise. One of the things I think Horizon does well is that the post-post-apocalypse setting is something actually fresh (Breath of the Wild is actually pretty similar in that respect, though it doesn’t lean into the ‘after the end’ story tropes as much)

Contrast that with the Assassin’s Creed Odyssey stuff. They concentrated on the elements that were different from what they’ve done before, and capitalised on the fact it’s a less used setting for games to create at least the impression that it will stand out from the crowd. (More people need to play Koei’s ‘warriors of troy’ though, heh)

Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum » June 14th, 2018, 1:00 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
Overall I think it's looking pretty fancy! If I'm being picky, the facial animation isn't the best and they're overusing that waving grass/corn/leaves/branches effect. There's stuff flapping about all over the place!

As for the game itself, I'm fascinated by the period and setting so I'm pretty excited for this one.

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » June 14th, 2018, 1:56 pm

June 13th, 2018, 4:11 pm
the folks who are actually angry about it need to get over it.
I checked out some of the rabid Twitter comments when the story broke. The sense of entitlement of those people is really quite extraordinary.

I accept that some people are disappointed. Some of them will have been waiting on this for years in expectation of it being a certain type of game, then they find out it's something else. I'm one of those people. But you either embrace the reality or forget about the game. I've chosen the former.

This is a big problem within videogames culture. 'Fans' think they have a right to a specific type of product. To a certain extent I can understand that where it involves a sequel, because a reasonable expectation has been formed that the newer game won't be a complete curveball (and they never are). But it's just bizarre when it concerns a new IP.

There's barely a month that passes by where I'm not disappointed by a game/movie/album/novel/comic that I'd been looking forward to, but that's on me and the hype that I've bought into. As a fan I'll take part in the 'dialogue' around the release, particularly if it's a genuinely poor creation, but I don't expect my comments or any discussions I take part in to actually change anything. But there's a certain section of 'our community' that feel that if they shout loud enough to might just get a game that's tailor-made for them.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » June 14th, 2018, 2:16 pm

ThirdMan wrote:
June 14th, 2018, 1:56 pm
June 13th, 2018, 4:11 pm
the folks who are actually angry about it need to get over it.
I checked out some of the rabid Twitter comments when the story broke. The sense of entitlement of those people is really quite extraordinary. [...]
I think you guys are right to an extent, but I gotta admit that it's a bit hard to read this after spending so much time over the past few days analysing and having strong negative emotional responses to the RE2make footage while 90% of the conversation I see elsewhere on the internet is centered around how ridiculous it is to have strong attachments to certain design choices and that being a passionate fan indicates that there must be something wrong with you. :(

PS: I know you didn't mean anything by it and I agree that a lot of fans are going completely overboard in the way that they choose to express their dissatisfaction.

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » June 14th, 2018, 2:17 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
I mistakenly thought it was footage of From Software's new game, which I had been eagerly awaiting, and even with those high expectations I wasn't disappointed. It's lacking a little polish but I tend to prefer that over a game that looks suspiciously incredible.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » June 14th, 2018, 3:08 pm

Chopper wrote:
June 14th, 2018, 11:19 am
When I watched it I was thinking, how many PS4s did they tape together to run this? :o

And before anybody replies, I know that's not how it works ;)
I thought that’s exactly how it works ;)