What's Out This Week?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Chopper

Re: What's Out This Week?

Post by Chopper »

I was wondering what the MD stood for! :lol:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Really tempted by Deaths Gambit, been following it for what seems like years, but it's a toss up between that and Dead Cells and I can't decide...
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Monster Hunter Generations demo on Switch tomorrow. Also like the look of Bubble Bobble homage Robbotto on there tomorrow too.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

All-Star Fruit Racing - NS
Guacamelee! 2 -PC, PS4
Return of Double Dragon - SNES
Shenmue - PC, PS4, XBO
Shenmue II - PC, PS4, XBO
Gone Home - NS
F1 2018 - PC, PS4, XBO
Little Dragons Café - NS, PS4
Night Trap: 25th Anniversary Edition - NS
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ok, with Shenmue remasters out this week, I'm asking the question, are these games still worth playing? I played a tiny bit of the first game when it came out, but not much that I can remember and I have no nostalgia for them whatsoever.

I have recently enjoyed Yakuza though, which I understand to be fairly similar in terms of structure and gameplay.

I'm interested in how these have held up...
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Alex79uk wrote: August 19th, 2018, 6:31 pm Ok, with Shenmue remasters out this week, I'm asking the question, are these games still worth playing?
I know this tends to be a rather unpopular opinion whenever I express it, but if you ask me, every good game is worth playing regardless of its release year and the main barrier of entry with older stuff are the player's expectations and habits. Quality does not have an expiration date.

With that being said, a lot of people that have played them for the first time in recent years have found them to be rather difficult to get into. I think Leon for example was very critical of them on the Shenmue podcasts. They are very old-school in many respects, so I would think twice before putting any money down. I'm sure they'll be on sale at some point, and Kiwami 2 is just around the corner as well..
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

They’re very polarising. If you can get into their groove they’re apparently very enjoyable. I found the first one too slow paced and clunky for me, but I know they have some very vocal fans.

It’s one of those games where I’d put it down as being an important one as far as the history and development of the medium is concerned, but not essential to actually play. If you’re a game designer or a historian of the medium and haven’t experienced them then you probably should, but I don’t know that they stand up in an era of GTAV and the Yakuza series.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Alex79uk wrote: August 19th, 2018, 6:31 pm Ok, with Shenmue remasters out this week, I'm asking the question, are these games still worth playing? I played a tiny bit of the first game when it came out, but not much that I can remember and I have no nostalgia for them whatsoever.

I have recently enjoyed Yakuza though, which I understand to be fairly similar in terms of structure and gameplay.

I'm interested in how these have held up...
I would recommend Shenmue 1 and 2. Imagine Yakuza: Chilled and it is someway towards how I would describe it.

Totally understand the criticisms of it in the show but at the time I had moments playing it at the time that were on a par with highlights in gaming.

I have wanted Shenmue 3 for so long and need it in my life. Ironically I am not picking up 1 and 2 HD due to falling in love with Yakuza 0 and wanting to play through those then do Shenmue on the lead up to 3.

I think for £25 it is a no brainer. You hate it and I will buy your copy :P
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Shenmue really isn’t for me.
It wasn’t on launch and it certainly isn’t now but having said that i think they’re some of the most important games out there.

They kind of broke new ground and for better or worse, didn’t care if you were having a good time or not.

I never thought we’d see the day that these HD ports would come out, after years of people asking but here we are. Hopefully they sell well and sega can find it in themselves to port more games from the archives rather than the usual suspects
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Hmm thanks all. I am really intrigued by it, but it doesn't actually sound all that much fun, and there's always too much to play as it is. But then... I've always been interested... ARGH!

Wait for a sale, I think!
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Feels really strange that more than 5 years ago, we were listening to the C&R podcasts on Shenmue, and its taken that long for these HD remasters.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Bad North is out on Switch. Not sure about other platforms
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I think the other platforms are Friday.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Blade Strangers - PC, NS, PS4
De Blob 2 Remastered - NS
Donut County - PC, PS4, iOS
Firewall: Zero Hour - PSVR
Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate - NS
Pro Evolution Soccer 2019 - PC, PS4, XBO
Strange Brigade - PC, PS4, XB1
Victor Vran: Overkill Edition - NS
Yakuza Kiwami 2 - PS4
Penguin Wars - PS4
The Messenger - PC, NS
Two Point Hospital - PC
Suits

Post by Suits »

For the first time in 12 years, I’m switching back to PlayStation from Xbox for this years Pro.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Is anyone going after Two Point Hospital. I'm interested to see if it's very good or just a nostalgia pit
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I’m curious for sure. Not enough to feel like I want to buy it yet but I’ll keep my eye on it.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Shikhondo Soul Eater, a very pretty Korean bullet hell shmup is also out this Thursday on consoles, including Switch.

https://youtu.be/Dz4hXzb60KM
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Nice! I've been looking forward to that one thanks to the gorgeous art design alone. Will you be buying it straightaway?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Definitely day one for me. Aside from Danmaku Unlimited 3, there haven't been any proper bullet hell games on the Switch yet (and even that's basically all about the grazing), so I'm really looking forward to it, and I'll report back!