The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
chase210

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by chase210 » July 12th, 2019, 10:18 pm

I already have Hellblade on PS4 but I wouldn’t mind the switch version. Only £12 something through the South African store.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » July 19th, 2019, 2:48 pm

Is the first Metroid game on the NES still worth playing? I've read such wildly varying reviews (mostly from a modern point of view). I've never played a Metroid game for longer than a few hours, although I do like the MetroidVania (yeah, MetroidVania, deal with it!) genre. Just wondered if it was worth seeing where it all started? Or, should I skip the NES entirely and go straight to Super Metroid on the SNES? Ta!

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » July 19th, 2019, 2:58 pm

Zero Mission is a remake of the first game and is the superior title in every respect in my opinion. Either ZM or SM are probably the best entry points when it comes to 2D Metroid.

The first one is hard to get into: password save system, no in-game map, stiff animations... That sort of thing.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » July 19th, 2019, 3:09 pm

Although on Switch you can save anywhere, rewind etc.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » July 19th, 2019, 3:34 pm

Yeah that's what I was thinking! Save scum my way through it more than likely, haha.

Hmm I didn't realise Zero Mission was a remake of the first game. I'm sure I played some of that on GBA back in the day without realising so. Interesting. I'll give the old one a try on Switch first and if it's impenetrable I'll give Zero Mission a whirl. Thanks :)

Suits

Post by Suits » July 19th, 2019, 4:01 pm

Yeah, Zero Mission is stunning.

Super Metroid is brilliant but flawed by its stupid frame perfect requirement for Samus’ spin and wall jump - for me anyway. The music, art and story are so incredibly captivating though. Wonderful game.

Metroid is well worth a go on the Switch, as Leon says the save and rewind features make it so much more accessible - what have you got to lose ??

I’m going to play Zero Mission again.

Flabyo

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion threa

Post by Flabyo » July 19th, 2019, 4:30 pm

Like a lot of NES games I find the original Metroid is useful to play if your primary interest is in history of the medium, but if you want to actually skip to something that plays as well as a modern take you’re better skipping to at least the SNES versions.

I find a lot of nes and Master System stuff way harder going than Megadrive and SNES games if it’s not a game I’m already familiar with. (There are exceptions of course, super Mario is super Mario after all...)

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » July 19th, 2019, 5:29 pm

I'd say that aside from SMB1-3, I find the NES games either unplayable or unable to hold my interest for more than a few minutes.

clippa

Post by clippa » July 19th, 2019, 5:59 pm

Yeah, I think that's fair to say. One day people will be saying something similar about us. Poor grandpa nes, it comes to us all.
There's probably a handful of other games that still hold up, but yeah, the nes has had it's day, the games are definitely feeling creaky now.
Loads of the 16 bit era still holds up really well, but nes is starting to feel ancient by comparison. Amazing how far that generational leap was!

As much as I love the first zelda, I remember getting stuck a lot. I persevered because it was like one of 3 games I had to play (and even that I borrowed off a friend), but folk nowadays wouldn't stand for any of that crap, even with the internet being full of pages telling you what to do.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » July 19th, 2019, 6:01 pm

Thanks all. Yeah Stan, I'd have to agree unfortunately. The idea of 40 odd NES games on my Switch seems so cool, but a lot of them are virtually unplayable. Even the first Super Mario suffers I think, I had to persevere to get through it. SMB 3 is still excellent though, as is the first Zelda. Hoping Metroid at least swings a little more in that direction. The thing I struggle with the most with a lot of these NES games is there's no point to playing them. Of course there's a point, it's fun (debatable), but without a story or at least clear goals a lot of games fall down for me as I really need something to aim for. Mario has no story of note of course, but that a whole different level of fun which makes up for it. But stuff like Balloon Fight and Ice Climber, whilst they're fun for five minutes I soon get bored of them and have no drive to keep playing. And I'm really not complaining though, as a piece of gaming history I really love what they've done and its almost always worth giving each one a go for a bit at least.

Apologies for what was a total steam of consciousness post there, had no idea of where it was going - just kept typing!