Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Shmups

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I picked it up again. Not my favorite shmup, but for £3 it's silly not to. :lol:
Belmont03

Post by Belmont03 »

@Michiel, you've got a "new" member in that choir. Currently searching for a PVM that won't cost me an arm and a leg. My current setup is a 32' Phillips Magnovox MX series. It's a great tv but I'd like something smaller with a better picture.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

There's 2 of us now! We had some other CRT advocates like Suits, but I don't think he posts here anymore, so we have to make do with Twitter and WhatsApp. :P

Good luck with the PVM search! They're increasingly hard to find. I'm happy with my massive Bang & Olufsen MX7000 and the smaller Trinitron for my cartridge based consoles myself, but I hear that PVMs are amazing.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Where are the shmup people at in this lovely forum, these days? :o
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

All sat eagerly anticipating yours to play :lol:
shadowless_kick

Post by shadowless_kick »

just posted in the Whatcha Playing thread about Rolling Gunner, which I've just started. I like it. 8-)

I'd like to get excited about the new Cotton games, but honestly, nothing I've seen makes them seem like must-plays for me. we'll see how Rock n' Roll develops.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Alex79uk wrote: June 23rd, 2021, 7:36 pm All sat eagerly anticipating yours to play :lol:
Haha, fair enough!

@shadowless_kick I'm still waiting on my copy of Cotton Reboot! (Switch) from Strictly Limited. I wasn't sure about it at first, but it got a lot of good reviews!

I probably better secure that next bundle if I want a physical, I think...
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Not sure if people have seen this yet, but Deathsmiles 1 and 2 are coming out in a collection for PS4/Switch on Dec 16th.

Right now it's Japan only but will have English language support.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/ ... s_december
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

It's by City Connection though, who have a terrible record with laggy Switch releases. I'd hold off on preordering any physical editions.
shadowless_kick

Post by shadowless_kick »

it's now possible to buy individual titles from Capcom's Arcade Stadium for 1.99 USD each. which means I'll be playing Progear at long last in the very near future 8-)

(I searched for "Capcom Arcade Stadium" directly on the Playstation Store and got nothing; I had to find it via a general internet search :roll: )
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Wow.

Progear is beautiful, but it has some really odd bullet patterns and angles. Very hard to deal with, undoubtedly until I have much more time.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I picked up the Deathsmiles collection. I really, really like the aesthetics and music. But, as always, I suck at it.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Thankfully, you can see a fair bit of the game on 1 credit if you set all the stages to level 1 difficulty.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Has anyone gone in on Sol Cresta?

I was very keen prior to release and am still interested, but it looks to have some fairly significant visual issues.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

I may pick it up on PS4 (5) but I don't like the other Cresta games especially and it's not my kind of shmup. Nevertheless, I buy basically every shmup console release to support the genre.

Separately, LiveWire liked my Futari request post a while ago - I'm really really badly hoping that has some significance. I assume the company CEO runs the Twitter account.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Michiel K wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 2:11 pm Thankfully, you can see a fair bit of the game on 1 credit if you set all the stages to level 1 difficulty.
I don't want to set it quite down to 1. I feel like that's kind of admitting defeat. I'd like to practice and try and get a bit better at it.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

ThirdDrawing wrote: February 25th, 2022, 2:44 pm
Michiel K wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 2:11 pm Thankfully, you can see a fair bit of the game on 1 credit if you set all the stages to level 1 difficulty.
I don't want to set it quite down to 1. I feel like that's kind of admitting defeat. I'd like to practice and try and get a bit better at it.
Can you play all six on level 1 in this version? I’ve ordered the completely unnecessary collector’s edition so I’m still waiting! I thought you could only choose 1 and 2 twice in the original but 3 was unlimited. Anyway, regardless that means front-loading it so the first stages are more difficult then dialling it down to 1 (twice) as you progress isn’t admitting defeat. And if you can set it all to level 1, I’d still learn it that way and then ramp it up! I’m doing the same at the moment with novice mode on Mushihimesama.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I'm not sure, I'll check today and let you know.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

stvnorman wrote: February 26th, 2022, 7:17 pm
Can you play all six on level 1 in this version? I’ve ordered the completely unnecessary collector’s edition so I’m still waiting! I thought you could only choose 1 and 2 twice in the original but 3 was unlimited. Anyway, regardless that means front-loading it so the first stages are more difficult then dialling it down to 1 (twice) as you progress isn’t admitting defeat. And if you can set it all to level 1, I’d still learn it that way and then ramp it up! I’m doing the same at the moment with novice mode on Mushihimesama.
I completely forgot about this post, I'm really sorry. I'm playing it as we speak, with a new character and it seems to be that you can choose your level each time and play on level 1. Did you get the CE yet?
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

ThirdDrawing wrote: March 16th, 2022, 3:10 am
stvnorman wrote: February 26th, 2022, 7:17 pm
I completely forgot about this post, I'm really sorry. I'm playing it as we speak, with a new character and it seems to be that you can choose your level each time and play on level 1. Did you get the CE yet?
No worries! Sounds like they’ve made it more accessible in this release. I was watching a Schmup Junkie video that implied the same. I still find the last couple of levels tough even on level 1! Strictly Limited Games is still saying shipping in March, so hopefully not long now!