Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
gallo_pinto

Re: Videogame News

Post by gallo_pinto »

You all are obviously right about the best and most responsible way to look at the game and we should all reserve judgement until the game comes out. On the other hand, I just don't think Konami has earned ANY benefit of the doubt. It would be great if this ended up being good, but with all of the evidence of the last 12 months, I think we should assume that this is a cash grab until we hear otherwise.
macstat

Post by macstat »

I dont have strong feelings towards metal gear series, especially since i've only played those released on PC (so 2 and 5). I certainly had a lot of fun with its gameplay, but also though that storytelling was a tad wierd and didnt make much sense.
So my thoughts on "new" metal gear game ... well if they use gameplay from 5, i will probably still have a lot of fun with it. Then again if its gonna be co-op Resident or Day Z im gonna definitely pass on it. In that second case i will also wonder ... why is it branded as metal gear ?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Without being too cynical, it's because it's made people give it a heck of a lot more attention than it would otherwise generate!

I'm happy to give Konami the benefit of the doubt with the actual game. They must have a lot of great staff who've performed many of the marvels in Kojima's imagination but as an organisation, certainly I'm more wary offer them now. Even disregarding the Kojima stuff, the way they constantly shifted the goalposts with FOBs and resources and item development in TPP absolutely neutered my ongoing affection for that game. I'm one of those who paid for a couple of extra FOBs to gather resources and so on, to develop everything and signed in every day and did farming runs and so on, as I steadily worked towards getting 100% and S on every mission, but basically so I could play with all the toys.

Then, time and again, they slowed down resource production, slowed development, nerfed the FOBs and corralled all endgame content into invasions. They also put an end to offline resource production so ultimately, six months in and having paid for 3 extra FOBs and farned all S class Base Development staff, I received about as much Fuel per hour's play as I did in the vanilla game, only with vanilla I could at least repeat missions to get the resources again.

Goodness me, what a feeble whinge, but it was a genuine slap in the face for all the time and money I'd put into the single player game. Maybe it was satire, I don't know.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

macstat wrote:In that second case i will also wonder ... why is it branded as metal gear ?
Because brand recognition and franchising are good for sales. It will gather attention and increase sale numbers based on the name alone. Certainly more than if you called it LazySurvivalCoopShooter3000 instead. And because Konami is run by businessmen who only think short-term and care about their bottom line instead of the integrity of their IP.

Edit: @Stanshall: Exactly.
macstat

Post by macstat »

Oh im aware of how cynical and/or business savvy this is ;) It was more of an rhetorical question that was ment to point out that it might have no ties to old series besides title.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I heard it's an alternate dimension spin off to Ground Zeroes, bizarrely enough. So, yeah, as you suspected, pretty flimsy!
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

To me this isnt even a question of is the game gonna be good or not,this is the start of the bastardization of Metal Gear they literally took the license and did the most generic thing possible I guess this is better then them trying to do Metal Gear Solid VI but it isnt much better and given all the crap they put their staff through that we learned last year people shouldnt buy this outta principle. The worst part is they did this before with Silent Hill after 4 we got titles like Silent Hill: whatever and they ran that license into the ground,not only that but this will make differenciation beteween Konami's games from Kojima's Peace Walker,which is a great game vital to the series and that in many ways is the real MGS5, in the future and that pisses me off because PW is already ignored enough as it is. Also Im very doubtfull of the devs working on this first off conditions at Konami werent great and Im of the belief that this type of enviromment isnt the best for making a good game,also when Kojima left he clearly took with him the people that he trusted and whose work he liked,that was confirmed by people seeing him at E3 with a bunch of ex-team silent members which he had previously incorporated into KojiPro when that team broke up, so I dont how good the people left at Konami are that also leads to another issue, Kojima is in many ways a failed Shinji Mikami in the sense that Mikami had all these "pupils" who ended up making great games but when it comes to Kojima everytime he wanted to pass things on to his staff he couldnt do it,MGS2 was to be his last metal gear but his staff was screwing up 3 so he went back in, after 4 he left his staff continue alone once again and the result was that he ended up taking over Peace Walker and had give Metal Gear Rising to Platinum so they could salvage it,the only metal gear game his staff did without him was Portable ops which for a Metal Gear title was a mediocre game that most people pretend it doesnt exist,so Im not hopefull for the future I just wish Konami could let the series die in peace,the story already came full circle there's nothing to add and MGSV was the best stealth game ever made so just leave it alone but they wont...
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

Todinho wrote:so Im not hopefull for the future I just wish Konami could let the series die in peace,the story already came full circle there's nothing to add and MGSV was the best stealth game ever made so just leave it alone but they wont...
I agree with you completely. However, the good news for me is that because it's set in an alternative universe and it's a zombie co-op game, it should be pretty easy to ignore.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I love it when Todinho rants :D
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Your reminder that Solid Snake was in Ape Escape. And Smash Brothers. And a skateboarding game.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

This is a big tangent but the MGSV GOTY edition or whatever it's called was announced right and it wont include mission 51 and the mythical chapter 3. I expected most of this I mean chapter 3 always seemed to me to be nuclear proliferation ending,so there's the title Peace in a world without nukes,it makes sense and all that's left for them to confirm that is for Konami PR to shout it from the rooftops to get it into some peoples heads,mission 51 would've been a easy thing to include especially because it was partially complete but Kojima's departure along with part of the staff surely impacted that and Konami is obviously not gonna bother trying to put some actual effort into it. That's all well and good but there's been awhile since the game came out and it has been awhile since I've looked into any comments of "fans" reguarding it and man going through some youtube videos on the topic and seeing the angry whiny babies vomiting their bile,not agaisnt Konami not even agaisnt the game but agaisnt Kojima and his team is madening,I can understand not liking the story and I can understand being disapointed with Kojima that's fine what I dont understand is people saying how it's all his fault and borderline defending Konami! Sure "fans" let's pile on the guy and his team who were working under Orwellian conditions just to deliver this game for you,because outta every interview with people that got out all they said was the Kojima kept telling them they needed to finnish the game for the fans, let's shit on the guy who created all this games you love and let's side with the corporation that only wants to milk us for our money! I hate the whole "entitled gamer" thing but man have I never seen a case where this is more true for christs sake,these are the same type of people that couldnt handle that MGS2 had an open ending and demanded a follow up to the point of sending death threats and those are the scum of the earth. Maybe Im just asking for it reading comments sections but man that's infuriating and I hate that this is what the discourse about this game has become,maybe one day people will move on but probably not.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Ok actual news this time instead of the ravings of a mad man,great jornalistic job by Jim sterling on the development of Mankind Divided and let's just say that alot of my issues make alot more sense now.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The Last Guardian delayed till December (for now...)

http://www.appy-gamer.com/Web/ArticleWe ... urce=drive

Personally, I'm not bothered. I'll definitely play it when it's ready but not too fussed about when. I can, however, see this as being the final nail in the coffin for a lot of people. They really shouldn't have stated a release date back at E3 unless they were 100% sure of it. I wonder if we will ever see it!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

FIFA demo out tomorrow. I can't wait to try the Journey mode.

http://www.gamesradar.com/fifa-17-demo- ... ffer-opmtw

It's been years (like, 20 years) since I've bought a FIFA game even the same year it's been released, but strongly tempted by this years offering.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I guess it would have been too much work making all the slight alterations to the script and cut scenes etc. They were never going to do a WBA one so I'll have to settle with United. But yeah, I can imagine City fans not being too happy about it!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

They announced a new Warriors game at TGS yesterday!

It takes the premise of Warriors Orochi 3 (which was: lets start adding random Koei/Tecmo characters to a game that was already a Samurai / Dynasty warriors crossover game with a daft plot) and turns it up to 11.

Now we have characters that don't even match the games art style! Yay!

(Yes, I'll probably still get it)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Haha blimey, well I'll be checking that out tonight for sure! That does surprise me.
Suits

Post by Suits »

ThirdMan wrote:Incidentally, have you seen the reviews fro PES? It's definitely the critic's darling once again. It will be interesting to see if EA respond with another series of erratic concepts to try win them back.
Nope. EA will just flex their financial muscle and buy up more exclusive licenses.

Pro lost the La Liga licence this year because of that.
Suits

Post by Suits »

ThirdMan wrote:With respect, that's missing the entire point.
Yeah, my comment was a bit flippant, it's just a conversation I've been having with people since the late 90's regards which is best Pro/FIFA.

With my overall feelings being that Pro is the better football fans game, that funnily enough, always has and always will play second fiddle regards licenses compared to the power house that is EA.

I can deal with it but thousands cant.

Therefore I get frustrated because thousands of peoples experiences with football games on consoles, is driven by the fact that it has the kits and badges in the game, where really, if they just played Pro for a bit longer, they'd soon experience a much better feeling football game.

In my opinion.

**North London Red FTW.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I consider myself both a fairly hardcore videogames and football fan (been going to watch Brighton for over 32 years now), and I was fully obsessed with first ISS then WE/PES from 1995 to 2007 (following my documented time with Microprose Soccer, Emlyn Hughes International Soccer then the Kick Off and after that Sensible series' - see podcasts for details).

But from 2008 to 2016 I genuinely preferred the on-pitch gameplay of FIFA, finding EA's game provided me a much more convincing simulation of soccer than the skatey, lightweight feeling Pro Evo - even though for more than a decade beforehand it had been completely the other way around.

However - see dedicated PES thread - this year it remains to be seen if the transition back to PES is going to take place.
:)