Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Videogame News

Post by Alex79 »

The Wonderboy 3 remake will let you swap between new and original visuals and audio. This is great news considering the not very pleasing "HD" graphics. I'm a little more excited for this now, it's one of my favorite 8 bit titles for sure. Also - original password saves will still work! WE5T 0NE anyone?? ;)

http://www.appy-gamer.com/Web/ArticleWe ... urce=drive
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I really like the new art style. It is *very* French though.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It's not awful, it just looks a bit......iPhone?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Alex79uk wrote:It's not awful, it just looks a bit......iPhone?
As an iPhone developer, I'm not the person to say that to :)

(I do think that whole 'mobile games all look awful' thing really needs to die, but public perception is what it is, so I kinda have to live with it)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I don't think all mobile games look awful, but there is a certain art-style which is used on the WB3 remake that I do tend to associate more with mobile games. It's difficult to describe what I mean really, but it's almost too clean and crisp. That's really not what I'm trying to say but it's the best I can come up with. Certainly not meaning to be disparaging of your particular medium, if that's how it came across.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

This is definitely in the wrong thread but I couldn't think where else to put it.

Is there any reason I can't use Gear VR apps in Google Carboard headset? I can't work out what Gear VR actually is, because it just looks like a plastic headset. You don't appear to get a controller with it, so I can't understand the reason I can't just download Gear VR games, and use them in Cardboard. Also, why aren't they just on the Google Play store? If there is a specific store for them, how come I can't find or access it from my Galaxy S6, because after all, the phone doesn't know it's not in a Gear VR unit, does it?

I'm probably being thick, but I don't get it!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

You can only access them from within the Gear VR/Oculus app.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Hmm, I still don't get why I can't access that app from my phone as it is though!

Anyway - this looks awesome! https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/03 ... ng-to-ps4/

Free to play arcade brawler coming soon to PS4 - anyone fancy jumping in for a bit when it's released? Could be a lot of fun.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

New mode for Rocket League looks pretty fun.

http://kotaku.com/players-dig-their-own ... 1793212674

Dropshot. March 22nd. Free.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Whoa, this looks cool. Don't really know what to expect, but still. Thanks for sharing, Alex. First time I've heard of this. :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah it looks good doesn't it. Maybe we ought to organise a night once it's out? Can't believe how much support this game has got after release. There always seems to be a new reason to come back to it.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Hey, you know I'm always up for a cozy community RL session.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

So, erm, Mass Effect Andromeda then...

Getting a bit of a kicking, isn't it.

Worrying. :/
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Yep but if anything else at least it's making some high quality gifs XD but seriously those animations are really uncanny.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

But seriously though some real gold right here:

EDIT: :D
Suits

Post by Suits »

Alex79uk wrote:So, erm, Mass Effect Andromeda then...

Getting a bit of a kicking, isn't it.

Worrying. :/
Yeah :( , I loved the first two and was really hoping that the new one would capture some of that previous magic.

So far I'm not hearing anything too encouraging.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

At least the alien races fit the aesthetic? Maybe?
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I'm not really sure where to post this, because it's a one-off sorta thing. Plus it's more of an Australian thing, specifically East-Coast... even more specifically Sydney-ish...

Anywho... a little independent game store, The Gamesmen, has been in business for 35 years now, which is kinda crazy considering how much gaming has change over that period of time, and how many other stores have gone out of business.

And the best little nerdy thing about it, is that on their website, you can peruse all their sales catalogues (https://www.gamesmen.com.au/old-catalogues). So if you were curious as to the cost of Police Quest for the Amiga in the winter of 1990 ($59.95 AUD by the way), then you can find that kind of information there. The Summer 1990 issue was important to me, because I believe I made my pre-teen sales pitch for the benefits of purchasing a Gameboy ($149 AUD), and it was the store that we bought it from.

It's not something they were under any pressure to do, but that it exists at all is interesting... well, to me it's interesting anyway... :roll:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Love looking at stuff like that, thanks for the link!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

And the Mass Effect reviews are in:

http://www.appy-gamer.com/Web/ArticleWe ... urce=drive

It was never going to be a day one purchase for me simply due to time and money, but it's now one that I don't really feel too bad about not picking up right away. I'll get round to it some time, but it doesn't seem like it quite lives up to its legacy.