Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Videogame News

Post by Alex79 »

Yooka Laylee has been getting some mixed reviews hasn't it...

Ouch - http://www.thejimquisition.com/yooka-laylee-review/

Read the comments though. The Internet really is full of some disgusting creatures.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

From what I can gather Yooka Laylee is a pretty accurate reproduction of how that kind of game played at the time. If you liked that, you'll like it. If you didn't (or as with a lot of reviewers now, weren't even around then) then it'll feel very odd and old fashioned.

Friend who I know who played it said he felt it gets a bit too caught up in trying to be nostalgic. But I suspect that's what most of the kickstarter backers wanted, so they'll be fairly happy.

I expect similarly divisive reviews for the remake of wonder boy 3 that's out soon.
macstat

Post by macstat »

But isnt this usually the case ? That besides those who have very strong emotional connection with ye olde game in question, most of people realise how outdated some of the systems are in compared to what game design looks right now.

For example i used to play all those dungeon crawlers when i was a kid, like Ishar for example. I really dont see myself trying to get through that often tedious experience right now (like drawing myself a map so i wont get lost and then getting lost ;) ).

Also couple of facts about about scores of YL. I took all 80 revew scores that was presented on opencritic and run basic statistical diagnostic (im still waiting for a site that will do that for me).
Assuming transformation scores to percentage data Mean score was 71,6%, while median 75% which suggests skewed distribution with some scores lower than majority of population. Min was 20% that Jim gave, max was 95 given by ThisGenGaming (which im unfortunately not familiar with). Interquartile range which is 50% of all scores that are positioned around central statistic (which is median) gives us range between 60 - 80, while standard deviation gives us +/- range of 13,56.

Below i give you histogram to show what score distribution looks like (unfortunately imgur is down so im not sure where to upload it :P).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7jjgpnxfygl5h4/yl.png
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

This is not news, but it is an exciting tale of the marvellous world we live in.

The other day I was sat on the toilet (told you it was exciting!) checking my emails and I had a message from Amazon saying the refund for an item I'd returned had been processed, and that I'd got £21 credit on my account.

I then browsed the EU Playstation blog, and noticed Rez was in the Easter sale for the discounted price of £15.99. I'd wanted the game since it was released, but hadn't got round to buying it yet.

So, I went back to Amazon, and using my store credit purchased a £20 PSN voucher. The code was immediately emailed to me, so I went to the Playstation app on my phone, input the code, and bought Rez.

I then clicked 'download to my PS4', and using the remote play app on my phone turned on the console from hibernation, and wiped.

By the time I got downstairs, there it was. Rez, fully installed on my PS4, waiting to be played.

I thought I'd share this tale of the amazing technological world we now live in.

:)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

That is pretty cool!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

...Wait, Rez is discounted? How did I miss this?! ...Oh, and btw: cool story Alex. Always nice to witness people's quality of life standards skyrocket like this :D
Craig

Post by Craig »

Thousands of years of technological advancement right there.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

It's like the old saying goes: if we can send man to the moon, then surely I can download and install games while I'm on the can. :shock:
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

GTA Online is getting more content in the form of "Tiny Racers" next week. Looks a bit micro machines-ey
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I saw that, I've had GTA5 on PS4 for months and not even touched it really (finished it on PS3 before) so I might give it a try, it looked a lot of fun! C&R night?
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

So this just came out:

Still bummed at the prospect of no X-men character but Im not gonna lie the ridiculousness that is "Ultron-Sigma" got me pretty hyped.
James

Post by James »

Yeeeeee-hah! Looks like great fun!

If every character in that trailer is playable, that's quite the addition to the previously-known roster. :-)
James

Post by James »

Yeeeeee-hah! Looks like great fun!

If every character in that trailer is playable, that's quite the addition to the previously-known roster. :-)
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Was quite a fun trailer that. Although I thought the specific highlighting of Redfield at the end was odd considering the big evil chap kicks a load of super-powered asses before old Chris has a pop with his pea shooter. Would be funny if they were playing it for laughs, but don't think they were...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I thought this was quite an interesting read: http://www.greenheartgames.com/2013/04/ ... of-piracy/

I must admit, when I was younger and first using the Internet (so around 1999-early 2000's) I didn't think twice about illegally downloading games, music and movies.

Nowadays pirating games doesn't happen (although I'll happily emulate an old system for games I can't get hold of new - Snatcher and Policenauts are recent examples), I use Spotify for music and a combination of Netflix, Sky on Demand and other legal streaming sites for movies and TV. I'm aware Spotify gives barely any more money to artists than straight up stealing their albums, but I feel like I do the best I can short of buying all albums on iTunes or whatever, which I flat out couldn't afford.

Anyway, I'm waffling, it was a nice little article, give it a read.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Thanks really good read, as someone who pirated games for most of his life and doesnt anymore the best way to fight piracy is to offer a better service then they like Gabe newell would say, for context I have a huge PS1 e PS2 library must have around 200 games only around 10 of them are original the rest is all pirated and the answer to that is simple the prices of games here are incredibly expensive while pirating a game costs nothing, while buying consoles and games on the west is a somewhat expensive hobby here buying a console is an investment almost because they can easily cost up to R$2,000 reais,hell when the switch came out it was R$3,000 reais! Not to mention the games that can also cost up to R$300 reais, so there's a reason why my PS1 and PS2 library are around 200 games and my PS3, which are all original,is around 20.

And believe it or not the prices used to be worse, prices have gone down and the economic situation had improved(up until now that is) so people had more money to spend but it's still incredibly expensive. Steam was a real game changer because if console piracy was bad the PC one was through the roof but when steam came out and actually started offering games at a resonable price and it's incredible sales, before it was inconceivable that you'd be able to buy a bunch of AAA games under 200 but with steam it was possible. Thanks to steam not only I but I think a really big portion of people here stopped pirating games and started buying them, not only because it was acessible but because it was way more convinient then digging through the internet searching torrents and risk getting a virus. Steam also opened my eyes to indie devs and how they need the money from sales to survive so I just applied that to all devs in general and stopped pirating all together.

Now when it comes to emulation Im 100% in favor of it and have no qualms about, The times I do it is because I have no way of getting access the original or because so much time has passed that me buying it or not has no effect on anybodys job,for example I could go but a PS2 copy of Viewtfull Joe but hat wouldnt benefit the devs it's been years and they dont even work for Capcom anymore, and I doubt Capcom bottom line would really affected by me buying their over 10 years old videogame.

Still piracy is still very ingrained here, my dad for instance doesnt give a shit and pirates all the time, only recently I convinced him to get a steam account to buy games, and he did he got "very Doom" and was then incredibly pissed because it didnt run on his PC XD but it' progress I guess.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Only saw this after your other post but I think Midnight Resistance is absolutely brilliant. It's tonally and structurally in the vein of TCGS, the usual 'what have you been playing?' and listeners' questions but it's got its own sense of humour and it feels a tiny bit more niche (can't explain why). They also do sporadic massive specials on various game series or one off titles. Good rotating series of guests/mates, all of whom bring something different.

I've not listened to many yet but Chat Very Good is also great so far. Tamoorh from Gamespot, Gary Dooton and a few others I'm less familiar with (sorry!).

I also love Twin Humanities, Watch Out For Fireballs and Bonfireside Chat.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Midnight Resistance is coming to an end later this year.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Indeed. A but gutted about yesterday but still, promotion mission accomplished, and we still have one (tough) shot at the title.

My season ticket is on auto-renew
as it has been for a good while now!

I've been watching the Albion since 83/84, and so next year will be my first ever top flight campaign.