Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Scrustle

Re: Videogame News

Post by Scrustle »

Huh. I swear last time I looked them up it said they didn't come out over here. Oh well. That makes it more likely they'll get support.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Scrustle wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 10:58 pm I'm not sure "joy" is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Ninja Gaiden.
That joy needs to be earned first, but it's certainly there.
Scrustle wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 10:58 pm Ninja Gaiden is getting 16:9 support too, as well as the resolution improvements. Widescreen may have been in the game originally, I don't know, but that was something they announced as if it was new.
Yes, Ninja Gaiden does run in a native widescreen aspect ratio. I guess Microsoft isn't above trying to make a quick buck by way of exploiting the public's short term memory if they're genuinely selling this as a new feature. :P

I'll second the Fable and Jade Empire recommendations as well. Great games that shouldn't be forgotten / abandoned.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Maybe the difference is that widescreen is now in progressive scan instead of interlaced or something?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

NGB runs on 480p, so no I don't think so. It's probably just a resolution bump.
countstex

Post by countstex »

For KOTOR at least they could have grabbed things from the PC version. In fact it may have been easier to port the PC version given the internals of the XBOX One (S/X) though I don't think they did. Maybe they grabbed some of the assets though. I might actually get around to playing KOTOR to completion now! Had it on PC since launch but never quite completed it. Any word on if they have Achievements??

As for Fable, there was the Anniversary edition so they may not want to cannibalise sales of that? (Been a while since that came out though)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Fable does some... interesting... things that might make emulation non-trivial. Did the game run on 360 back compat? Can't remember.

For me, I want to see Panzer Dragoon Orta supported, because that's impossible to play on the 360, it crashes on the third stage and they've never made any attempt to fix it. Jet Set Radio Future would be fun too, never played that.

Maybe the MechWarriors games too, those were a really fun arcadey interpretation of the PC BattleTech games. They were made at a point in time when MS owned FASA, but they shut them down and sold on the IP years ago, so no idea who would be responsible for putting them forward.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

You could buy Fable on 360 but infuriatingly it was only the original release that was made available rather than the Lost Chapters edition.

Unsure whether or not 360 Fable Anniversary is currently playable on Xbox One, which may also complicate things, commercially speaking.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

With that being said, the disc version of TLC is backwards compatible and runs on 360 without major issues.
countstex

Post by countstex »

ratsoalbion wrote: October 24th, 2017, 9:47 am
Unsure whether or not 360 Fable Anniversary is currently playable on Xbox One, which may also complicate things, commercially speaking.
Pretty sure I saw it in the backwards compatible list the other day... yup, just checked, it's in the Store.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

No achievements for OG Xbox titles - last we heard on TA, anyway. And Rich tends to have the inside word.

I guess there would be additional technical and rights hoops to jump through in order for Microsoft to add an achievement list for third party titles, so it's easier to just leave it.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Flabyo wrote: October 24th, 2017, 8:37 am Fable does some... interesting... things that might make emulation non-trivial. Did the game run on 360 back compat? Can't remember.
Would be very interested to hear exactly those "interesting things" are. I'd say it's been long enough now to let that stuff be known. Especially given the fate of Lionhead.

I remember the game having quite a few issues running on the 360 though. A lot of graphical issues on the UI, and at one point, my disc simply stopped working. It's in perfectly good condition, but my 360 just decided it was broken every time I tried to load up a save. I even just tried it now to check, and yup, the game will boot, but I can't load any save. Such a pain.

I did wonder about trying out the Anniversary version on XB1 since they added support for it lately. I never finished that version. It lacked something that gave the original charm. Even though it was technically more highly detailed, the graphics seemed a lot duller in general. Also it ran pretty awfully too. Maybe playing it on the Xbone can fix that issue at least. Not tried it out though, and not heard anyone make any mention of it at all.

But because of the superiority of the original version, I would be more excited to see that get support on the XB1. Especially if they do the same thing they've done with KotOR, and up-ressed it massively. If KotOR is using PC assets, Fable could easily do the same.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

The third M2 Shot Triggers release, Mahou Daisakusen, has gone from the vague "Fall 2017" release date this morning, to November 2nd (next Thursday).

Of course, Japanese PSN digital download only (for the PS4), and it's going for ‎¥‎3700. I'll leave the exchange rate converting to whomever is interested.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

You know I dont say this often but the Nintendo Fandom might just be the worst fandom on gaming, for fucks sake this is pathetic:

Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Jason Schreier comes out with the story the story behind the closing of Viceral and their now cancelled Star Wars game. really interesting stuff: https://kotaku.com/the-collapse-of-visc ... 1819916152
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Well worth a read that. The story is of course way more complex than 'EA only want multiplayer games with micro transactions'.

I could take the names and games from that piece and substitute others and have the story of the shut down of several big studios.

I didn't hear much rumour about Visceral myself, I don't move in the circles where that would be discussed anymore, but during the period when I did you often got wind of what was happening in places long before the public did. Just the simple act of 'whose CV has turned up this week' can give you a feel for which studios are losing people. And in an industry where the 'six degrees' rule is more like 'two degrees' gossip can and does move rapidly.

The part where it talks about the studio having to do Battlefield Hardline to stay afloat, and that killing morale, might seem quite tricky to understand for those who haven't done gamedev at that level of pressure. At a studio of that size you're going to be expected to give everything you have at all times, and that is functionally impossible to do if you don't like the project you're on. It's the number one killer of studio morale in every place I've ever worked: the team has to have buy-in. It has to be something they believe in (or at least contain some piece of work or element they can, for an AI guy like me the games theme or plot wouldn't influence me much if I had some meaty bit of enemy AI to work on).

I guess the take away from it is: this is common. This happens everywhere, to everyone, at some point in their gamedev career. Doesn't make it right, but it does mean it isn't exceptional, and its not the harbinger of a second great crash.

It does feel like something is going to give in the next few years though. A realignment, one in which a lot of studios will fold. A hidden crash then, something that the public won't really see happening because the currently fairly slow release schedule of AAA games won't slow further, but one that will see a lot of people out of work.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

That story certainly came out quickly. Usually it takes years, if it ever happens, for these kinds of stories to see the light of day. Kotaku seem to be doing a really great job of this kind of writing lately. Very interesting and insightful read.

After seeing that whole story, I have to say it does look like the majority of the blame does come down to EA. Seems like most of the problems were from them mandating things and messing around with the project. Confusing focus, creating unnecessary hurdled to get over, and setting unrealistic goals. The only things that you could say aren't really EA's fault were the scope being too wide, and a lack of resources due to budget. The first of those problems could have been fixed with appropriate re-scoping. Although that would have been made harder because of EA's meddling. The budget issue is harder to fix, but seems to be down to Visceral being based in San Francisco, rather than anything they actually had a choice in themselves.

So yeah, even though Visceral isn't blameless, and the situation is obviously far more complex than just "no multiplayer and no microtransactions makes EA an angry boy", it still seems pretty clear that EA are primarily responsible for the failure of the project. Such a sad end to all of this.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Jason Schreier is a pretty solid investigative journalist. His book “blood, sweat and pixels” is well worth a read. Especially if you have any interest in Destiny, Dragon Age or Stardew Valley.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Flabyo wrote: October 28th, 2017, 1:35 pm Jason Schreier is a pretty solid investigative journalist. His book “blood, sweat and pixels” is well worth a read.
Good shout.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I got the audiobook upgrade via Kindle for about two quid, by the way. Also excellent.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I couldn't think of anything to add to this, except that now I might have to pick up a copy of Blood, Sweat and Pixels!

Moving away from EA and focusing on Konami, Metal Gear Survive will require an online connection! Ha ha ha haaa! :lol: Usually don't prejudge a game, but what a piece of shit!!! :lol: