Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Joshihatsumitsu

Re: Videogame News

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

So PC owners will now get to experience "emotion" for the first time?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

This might very well be the final incentive I need to buy a gaming PC.
Joshihatsumitsu

clippa wrote: March 20th, 2019, 11:31 pm
Joshihatsumitsu wrote: March 20th, 2019, 11:04 pm So PC owners will now get to experience "emotion" for the first time?
Aw, I don't like the sound of this. Which one?
Well, my favourite emotion is Jason.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 20th, 2019, 11:07 pm This might very well be the final incentive I need to buy a gaming PC.
:lol: Well played. As I was reading from bottom up, I assumed you were referring to the Master Chief collection, which was still a wow! moment but all the funnier when I saw what you were referring to.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Because Cage is a terrible writer, mostly.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It’s worth experiencing at least one of them to make your own opinion. Just cause I think he’s a hack doesn’t mean you will, I’m fairly sure a lot of the authors I like would be disliked by plenty of people.

(I also get rubbed up the wrong way by studios that base themselves around the auteur principle)
Craig

Post by Craig »

There’s a huge build up and blister from developer and press alike about how they are touching and important stories on the cutting edge of what technology can do, and then the reality of a product that puts the b in subtlety.

The stories are pretty poorly written in such a way that makes you anxious when they start to approach a more delicate subject as it’s pretty clear it’s going to be fumbled with none of the grace or nuance it needs. The stories will often head in that direction too, to try and push boundaries, but David Cage just isn’t the man for the task.

In the midst of these attempts at diving into the more distressing and dark areas of the human condition, you have completely tone deaf gratuitous nudity which is poorly handled both in-game and outside with the real life actors.

The games bill themselves as interactive movies, but if we compare them to similar works in cinema, they’re the equivalent of a straight to DVD flick you’d see in the Tesco bargain bin. The gameplay does not make up for it.

But why the animosity? It’s the build up. If the hype wasn’t there, it’d be much easier to consider these games a waste of time and move on, but there’s a steady message saying these games are important. There’s the self important message from the creator acting like he’s breaking new ground in both cinema and games. And this breeds a certain amount of resentment.

But further than that, it could be argued the games set back the industry in terms of story-telling. Within the industry, opinions are certainly mixed but from the outside, people think a ham-handed metaphor for race relations with androids is the best we can do, meaning many more interesting and creative works are overlooked.

Within the industry it also takes up a lot of oxygen - you have people hate buying these games, playing them as a joke, but that’s still money and time that could be used on better products.

And directly, Sony keeps on handing David Cage a blank cheque to push out these games, and regardless of what you think of the story, these games are a spectacle with a huge budget. If that cash could be diverted elsewhere we could have much richer stories and a multitude of voices.

In short - poorly written and execution of studies into the human condition get hyped big and an endless bankroll leading to resentment from those shouting the Emperor has no clothes.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I really enjoyed Heavy Rain from start to finish, not convinced it would hold up to a replay now, although I'd like to try at some point.

Beyond Two Souls on the other hand had some excellent parts and some that were just terrible, and worst of all, boring. Overall, I enjoyed the story though.

If you're curious, it's worth playing them.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Yep, I agree with everything Craig just said.

But one other reason I think people keep going back to QT games (asides from playing them as a joke, which I've considered doing myself numerous times) is that they genuinely happen to fill a very specific niche without much competition. Someone interested in playing big budget interactive stories that put narrative agency front and center doesn't really have that much to choose from as to be able to ignore QT entirely. So I would imagine that a lot of people put up with their quirks because they want to see video games move in that direction in general, even beyond the likes of BioWare and such.

If you're intrigued, it's worth picking one up in a sale and giving it a shot. Just don't expect Kurosawa and you'll be fine.

The Detroit thread from last year is also well worth reading through if you haven't already, especially the passionate back-and-forth between fan(s) and detractors on page 2.
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

I don't think the issue for discussion should be how good or bad you felt Cage's games were but what Sony has done.

Advertising and selling games as 'Only on PlayStation' then seeing them on PC means Sony's marketing can no longer be trusted.

I hope Sony/PlayStation receive a lot of complaints because of this.
Joshihatsumitsu

rob25X wrote: March 21st, 2019, 10:15 am I don't think the issue for discussion should be how good or bad you felt Cage's games were but what Sony has done.

Advertising and selling games as 'Only on PlayStation' then seeing them on PC means Sony's marketing can no longer be trusted.

My first reaction was more of feeling sorry for the PC audience.

As far as Sony exclusives are concerned, PC gamers deserve soooo much better.

David Cage games, if they were 90 movies, would be totally recommended for the good-bad experience. The misguided nature and lack of self-awareness almost makes them a recommendation.

Almost.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I thought this was quite a nice little feature on video game music: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/id ... game_music
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I actually really want to play Detroit and I'm glad it's coming to PC.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

rob25X wrote: March 21st, 2019, 10:15 am I don't think the issue for discussion should be how good or bad you felt Cage's games were but what Sony has done.

In my experience, the console exclusivity label of third-party games is rarely reliable. My US copy of RE4 says "only for GameCube". My Xbox copies of NGB & 2 sport similar logos, even though they all got ported to PlayStation shortly afterwards. And those are just the first ones that come to mind.

In the long run, very few of them remain exclusive. Even some first party titles end up being ported to PC, like the Halo Master Chief Collection recently.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I cant imagine Sony will get much stick about this. Heavy Rain and Beyond were too long ago for people to care, and if anyone bought a PS4 just to play Detroit... Well, it doesn't seem too likely!

I think any 'exclusive' claim on a game has to be taken with a pinch of salt these days. Publishers would be really shooting themselves in the foot signing life time exclusivity deals nowadays I think.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: March 21st, 2019, 5:26 pm
I think any 'exclusive' claim on a game has to be taken with a pinch of salt these days. Publishers would be really shooting themselves in the foot signing life time exclusivity deals nowadays I think.
Yeah, I don't think it's really had any weight since the N64/Playstation days. It almost feels like Sega going software was the beginning of the end of that?
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

duskvstweak wrote: March 21st, 2019, 5:34 pm
Alex79uk wrote: March 21st, 2019, 5:26 pm
Yeah, I don't think it's really had any weight since the N64/Playstation days. It almost feels like Sega going software was the beginning of the end of that?
So exclusive claims need to be dropped or at least given small print.

I remember another case where this happened, Bioshock (Xbox 360/Windows) later released on PS3.

Without doing research, I can't remember this ever happening before with any other PlayStation 3 or 4 'Only on PlayStation' games.

Not something we want to see really, false advertising.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

rob25X wrote: March 21st, 2019, 8:55 pm Without doing research, I can't remember this ever happening before with any other PlayStation 3 or 4 'Only on PlayStation' games.

Not something we want to see really, false advertising.
Yakuza 0 was ported to PC recently despite the "Only on Playstation" label on its initial release.

It happens. Best to just ignore this stuff entirely, I think.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Judgment will apparently not be delayed in the West, according to Siliconera, although some changes will be made to the character's voice and in-game model.

Good news... I think?
Joshihatsumitsu

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 6:00 pm Judgment will apparently not be delayed in the West, according to Siliconera, although some changes will be made to the character's voice and in-game model.

Good news... I think?
Going by Suruga-ya, the game is still available to purchase in Japan, so I have to assume what changes needed to be made were made? I haven't got enough knowledge on how changes like that work in games. Only assumptions. :?