Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
duskvstweak

Re: Videogame News

Post by duskvstweak » April 11th, 2019, 7:00 pm

It reminds me of Golden Sun? That was a game that didn't grab me story wise, but had gorgeous graphics and a nice soundtrack to go along with solid gameplay.

Suits

Post by Suits » April 11th, 2019, 7:45 pm

duskvstweak wrote:
April 11th, 2019, 7:00 pm
It reminds me of Golden Sun? That was a game that didn't grab me story wise, but had gorgeous graphics and a nice soundtrack to go along with solid gameplay.
Going back to Octopath for a second but the issue I had with its story wasn't that I didn't enjoy it per say, it's just that it was gated to a degree behind bringing characters up to certain levels to progress it.

In fact, I found the individual stories really compelling and took my time with them.

The problem was, if you gravitated to a certain character or story, one you'd beaten that chapter, as you move onto the next chapter it would give a recommended level - often these were way higher, on occasion a whole ten levels, so to increase your characters level you are supposed to choose a new character, add them/replace with someone in your party and do their lower chapter stories to bring your other characters levels up and that's how you'd progress.

It's a cool system, encourages party variability and makes you learn new styles.

The victim is a broken up story, made up of eight different stories.

The developers have heard the cries of the fans and I'm sure will be mindful of this in their next adventure - which is rumoured to already be underway.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » April 14th, 2019, 3:00 pm

I'll just leave this here...

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... +and+rinse

Apologies if the description isn't quite spot on. It took three rewrites before they accepted it - it's harder to get something on there than you'd think!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » April 14th, 2019, 3:14 pm

:D

Suits

Post by Suits » April 18th, 2019, 4:33 pm

Looks like the Castlevania collection games have been announced.

Quite a package it seems.

I pray for a physical version.

Coming to PS4, Xbox and Switch.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.poly ... date-games

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » April 18th, 2019, 4:40 pm

Wowzers that’s some package!

Suits

Post by Suits » April 18th, 2019, 4:47 pm

Simonsloth wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 4:40 pm
Rad in it.

There’s noise of a part 2, with Rondo, SotN, etc.... 🤤

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » April 18th, 2019, 5:03 pm

Suits wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 4:47 pm
Simonsloth wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 4:40 pm
Rad in it.

There’s noise of a part 2, with Rondo, SotN, etc.... 🤤
Would be lovely to have part 2 bringing us to present day just in time for next year’s metroidvania cane and Rinse podcasts. You heard it here first ;)

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » April 18th, 2019, 5:05 pm

Michiel’s not been doing his metroidvania retrospective for nothing. It’s all research :lol:

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » April 18th, 2019, 6:03 pm

Hmm yeah, not really any interest in that package (though I'm sure there will be plenty who love it) as I only really like the MetroidVania Castlevanias. A second package with SotN, the GBA games and DS games would be incredible.

clippa

Post by clippa » April 18th, 2019, 6:20 pm

Warhammer: Chaosbane has gone into it's second closed beta (which you're allowed in if you preordered).
I didn't know about this game until today. I love a nice, relaxing, soul numbing ARPG. Anyone in the beta or knows if it's any cop?

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » April 18th, 2019, 6:28 pm

Alex, I think you might like this:

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » April 18th, 2019, 8:07 pm

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!! AT LAST!!!

Thanks ksub, I had no idea it was even being talked about, let alone almost done!

:D

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » April 18th, 2019, 10:37 pm

KSubzero1000 wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 6:28 pm
Alex, I think you might like this:

I just saw this and thought of you too!! It’s a great game (and comic)

Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod » April 19th, 2019, 1:46 am

https://youtu.be/Oj9Vl-Bteq8

Looks like that Capcom arcade stick thing might be illegally using an explicitly non-commercial emulator without permission. Whoops!

clippa

Post by clippa » April 20th, 2019, 11:52 am

Oh blimey, sounds like someone took a back hander and didn't bother telling the others. He's been suspiciously absent/tight lipped since - https://twitter.com/fbalpha/status/1118201306034974721

Pagan Online looks like it might be fun

A lot of negative steam reviews but they're mostly complaining about the WASD controls being a deal breaker as it's not what they're used to.
Looks like it plays more like a top down shooter with ARPG style skills and that worked brilliantly for Leap of Fate.
I always go ranged glass cannon to keep things interesting anyway so it might suit my playstyle just fine.
I might just give this a go.

Haaa, from their website

Cheeky.

clippa

Post by clippa » April 20th, 2019, 10:15 pm

Oof, not sure about this at all.
Played right up to the 2 hours mark, skipping all the guff, and seriously thinking about asking for a refund and spending the money on cdkeys for chaosbane in june.

WASD movement in an ARPG game can be great if it's done right, but it's pretty badly done here.
One of the skills of the character I'm playing is to regain health by dashing through a bunch of enemies and leeching health from them.
Rather than the dash going towards the mouse pointer, it goes in the direction you're pushing and it just never seems to go where you want it to. That skill is pretty much just a "dash to safety" button when you don't have the precision to point it through a large line of enemies.

It's very start/stop, rather than you just playing through the campaign, it's lots of little missions and you keep being shoved back to the home area. I just want to wander around and bash bad lads and pick up shiny things! So much crappy dialogue and cutscenes you have to keep clicking through.
Man, this could be good, you can feel fun combat trying to strain through the jank, but there's just too many things holding it back.

Aaaargh, I don't know, 2 hours isn't enough to call it I don't think, but that's the policy on steam, if you play any more, you can't have your money back.

It'd really help if the game would let me unlock a couple more characters to try to see if they work better (I have to do missions and collect "sharts" or something), all (most?) of the skills make you stand still, thus negating the whole point of having movement controls separate from the mouse, I found myself just tanking damage as it was quicker than dodging the projectiles and chipping away at enemies.
I think they blew it. I can't see this getting better.
I'd probably just stick with it and get my monies worth but it's 23 quid and I don't think I'll get 23 quids worth of fun out of this to be honest.

clippa

Post by clippa » April 23rd, 2019, 2:27 pm

clippa wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 6:20 pm
Warhammer: Chaosbane
I managed to get into the closed beta for this, it finishes tomorrow morning but I had an hour and a half on it there today and it's much more fun than that pagan thing.
Gonna try the other ranged class tonight but the elf scout is so much fun, all the skills feel very situational so you're not just spamming the same things again and again. It's nice and fast and daft.

They've gone for a "one size fits all" approach to the UI and that so it's a bit too chunkalicious for PC and I've seen console players complaining about small text, but it's not so bad, camera could do with being zoomed out ever so slightly, but it's not bothering me like it did in path of exile.
Would be nice if they tailored the game to the different platforms in that regard before launch, but it's totally fine as it is.

Looks naff but it plays well. They've gone for the same cheesy early morning cartoon vibe that diablo 3 had, I can't see too many warhammer fans being happy with that, they take that stuff a bit more seriously I think.
It's good, I like it so far.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » April 30th, 2019, 2:18 pm

The trailer for the Sonic live action movie is out there.

It hurts to watch. Actual physical pain.

Suits

Post by Suits » April 30th, 2019, 2:50 pm

Dunno man, I’m into it.

Robotonic looks cool.

I’ll probably never see it though :lol: .