Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: Videogame News

Post by Flabyo »

In the UK we just assumed Ireland was doing its best to never win it again cause they didn’t want to pay to host the thing.
Suits

Post by Suits »

It’s a VR game dude, I very much doubt it’ll come to Switch VR 😄.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Half Life: Labo confirmed!

Get hyped to defeat the Cardboard Combine!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Elliot has asked for Trials Rising on Switch for Christmas and I've found it cheapest here: https://www.thegamecollection.net/trial ... yAQAvD_BwE

Has anyone used this shop before, is it reliable?

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Yup, they're good. Used them a good handful of times and never had a problem.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Cool, cheers mate.

EDIT: Eh, what's with all the snips, ThirdMan? Weren't you just talking about Eurovision or something?

EDIT 2: Sweet Jesus, he's edited all of his posts to say 'snip'. That's some commitment! What's going on!?

EDIT 3 (!!): Is anyone in contact with him outside of the forum? Just want to check he's OK as sitting and editing every single one of your posts doesn't sound like the work of a healthy mind. If anyone has any contact details for him hopefully they'll drop him a line and just check he's doing OK.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I have no idea what he’s doing, or why.

He could have just asked us to delete all his posts. Takes about 5 clicks as an admin.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Nothing makes me happier than the idea of buying slightly improved versions of great games I already own.

No sarcasm, but I would gladly pay €60 for a 60fps remaster of Vanquish alone. :P
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Looks like they're just ports of the PC versions, not remasters exactly. A bit pointless for Bayonetta perhaps, but good news for Vanquish. The better frame rate improves that game massively.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

clippa wrote: December 7th, 2019, 8:38 am Framerate is uncapped on the pc version if that excites you - https://store.steampowered.com/app/460810/Vanquish/
Well duh, but obviously my Tamagotchi-GPU laptop is not gonna be able to run that.

He even posts the link and everything, what a troll. :lol:

clippa wrote: December 7th, 2019, 8:38 am Never understood the fuss about platinumgames.
They make 3D action games with enormous amounts of mechanical depth and replayability. In an era full of AAA "action" games that play themselves, they're one of the very few studios who still focus on responsive, elaborate and challenging combat systems instead of copycat open world and collectathon design structures.

If you're into that sort of thing, they more or less represent the gold standard in the industry and I personally find it relatively easy to look past some of their usual shortcomings - such as uninspired level aesthetics or, in the case of Vanquish, intrusive cutscenes. When it comes down to it, there are almost no other games that scratch the same gameplay itch as P*. Certainly nowadays.

PS: For what it's worth, Vanquish is 100% designed to be played with a controller.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

That feels like an unfair characterisation to me. Platinum's games are far more than "empty calories". Like Ksub explains, they have a level of depth and complexity that few other action games come close to matching, if you dig in to them just a bit and let them show you what they have to offer. Although I'd say Vanquish isn't the best example of that. It's a pretty unrefined game in my opinion, that would benefit a lot from a sequel to improve on things. Bayo on the other hand is the prime example of this. And I would say Astral Chain is another good example, as it pretty much forces you to engage with it on that level, even to a fault. But these games definitely aren't the Michael Bays of the medium, they're the antidote to it.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

My problem with platinum stuff is that what it wants me to do I don’t find fun. No more, no less.
Suits

Post by Suits »

clippa wrote: December 7th, 2019, 6:50 pm
Flabyo wrote: December 7th, 2019, 2:29 pm My problem with platinum stuff is that what it wants me to do I don’t find fun. No more, no less.
What do you mean? They sort of ask you to find the fun in their combat systems and to use it as a playground, sort of like making your own fun rather than just button mashing your way through? You'd rather be forced to engage?
I’m not really a fan of the Bayonetta, or the recent Astral Chain games either.

I appreciate them greatly but there’s something about them that just don’t feel fun for me.

I played a good bit of Astral Chain but came to the realisation I wasn’t enjoying the gameplay, more so the art and world.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It’s the way they say ‘if you can’t master our combo system we’re going to tell you you suck’.

And I can’t, because I’m old.

So screw those guys.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Age isn't necessarily a/the barrier.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Well no. Not giving a shit about a game that asks way more than it gives when it’s a genre you don’t particularly enjoy in the first place is.

I don’t get the hostility I get when I mention I don’t like a particular darling of the community? Am I not allowed to dislike things now?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

...What hostility? :shock:
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

There was no hostility from me whatsoever.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Everybody is just recounting their subjective experience with PlatinumGames’ games, right? Nobody can tell you how you should be feeling and I don’t think anyone is.

Personally I’m in the “Thank the gaming gods for Platinum” camp. Without them, there would be a whole lot less for me to be excited about in current day gaming. “Soulless” would be the opposite word of what I’d describe their games with, but then again it’s a bit of a funny thing to try and determine that some games have (a) soul and others don’t... maybe even unfair to developers and a judgment on their efforts or how much they put into their projects.

I also think most of P*’s games can be engaged with on a fairly casual level if you don’t care about combat rankings, as opposed to say Itagaki’s Ninja Gaiden, which forces you to learn its systems inside out just to make it through the game.