Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
seansthomas

Re: Videogame News

Post by seansthomas »

Simonsloth wrote: May 24th, 2020, 11:34 pm
Alex79uk wrote: May 24th, 2020, 8:54 pm Anyone seen or heard of this? Looks like it could be fantastic!

Whoah this looks incredible! Thanks for the info Alex!
Been following this one for ages. After that 80s Arcade Racer game died, a few people I follow mentioned a similar title in early development called Racing Apex. This seems to be a rebranded version of it with Sumo Digital and Curve throwing their weight behind it.

The early tests and handling footage they've been previewing on twitter for the past 18 months or so all look really promising!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Re: the rumoured Sega announcement, I'd just be happy with Dreamcast and Saturn games on Switch. Sega Rally, Crazy Taxi, Skies Of Arcadia...

Or the Yakuza series.

But I can't see them hyping up that so much. But then again, they haven't really have they. I think the Internet has gone and hyped it well beyond whatever it probably is!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Angry_Kurt wrote: June 1st, 2020, 9:56 am
dezm0nd wrote: June 1st, 2020, 7:53 am No news but strong rumour that the Xbox will be rebranded as a sega box in japan.
I think this would be a good strategy for Xbox. Something that might add a little fuel to the rumours I found out yesterday is that Yakuza 7 still isn't listed for PS5, but is for PS4 which seems odd. Yakuza 7 being a Sega published game
I'm not sure what you mean here. It wouldn't be listed for PS5 as it's out on the PS4. Have I misunderstood what you meant?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

He’s suggesting the them not saying Yakuza 7 is on ps5 is because SEGA will only put their next generation stuff on the MS platform, as evidence that the SEGA Series X is true.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Alex79uk wrote: June 1st, 2020, 6:05 pm
Angry_Kurt wrote: June 1st, 2020, 9:56 am
dezm0nd wrote: June 1st, 2020, 7:53 am No news but strong rumour that the Xbox will be rebranded as a sega box in japan.
I think this would be a good strategy for Xbox. Something that might add a little fuel to the rumours I found out yesterday is that Yakuza 7 still isn't listed for PS5, but is for PS4 which seems odd. Yakuza 7 being a Sega published game
I'm not sure what you mean here. It wouldn't be listed for PS5 as it's out on the PS4. Have I misunderstood what you meant?
so I'm surprised that it's listed for Xbox One and Series X, but only PS4 and not PS5
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ah I see what you mean. I guess it's just because Xbox One games will work and be enhanced on Series X but PS4 games probably won't get the same for PS5? Like Microsoft whole thing is that the lines between the generations are really blurred, which personally I can't really get behind. I think its confusing for people and may end up in people wondering if it's worth bothering getting the next gen console, whereas with PS it seems like more of a traditional 'next gen' machine. I'm probably not explaining what I'm thinking very well, but I just mean the PS5 seems like the 'next console', but the Series X doesn't seem to have anything setting it apart from the XB1 for game players who aren't as, I don't know, 'dedicated' as us? I don't want to use the phrase 'hardcore gamer' because it's stupid, but that's what I mean. To most people the Series X probably seems unnecessary, whereas the PS5 is Sony's next console.

I realise I've basically just said the same thing 3 times in a row there, and probably none of them make sense. My head hurts.

EDIT: I just mean Yakuza 7 probably won't get a PS5 branded release, even if it works on backwards compatibility, whereas the Xbox one might say 'enhanced for Series X' or something. I'm even confusing myself now. I think I might be having a stroke.

EDIT 2: Also, just read your comment Flabyo. Yeah, that makes sense too!
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Alex79uk wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 3:14 pm Ah I see what you mean. I guess it's just because Xbox One games will work and be enhanced on Series X but PS4 games probably won't get the same for PS5? Like Microsoft whole thing is that the lines between the generations are really blurred, which personally I can't really get behind. I think its confusing for people and may end up in people wondering if it's worth bothering getting the next gen console, whereas with PS it seems like more of a traditional 'next gen' machine. I'm probably not explaining what I'm thinking very well, but I just mean the PS5 seems like the 'next console', but the Series X doesn't seem to have anything setting it apart from the XB1 for game players who aren't as, I don't know, 'dedicated' as us? I don't want to use the phrase 'hardcore gamer' because it's stupid, but that's what I mean. To most people the Series X probably seems unnecessary, whereas the PS5 is Sony's next console.

I realise I've basically just said the same thing 3 times in a row there, and probably none of them make sense. My head hurts.
It is easy to talk in circles with this stuff, particularly on the Xbox side with all these blurred lines!

I own everything so certainly not an Xbox guy exclusively, but here's why I'm planning on picking up a Series X as a current Xbox One X owner just to offer a point of view:

- The best versions of all new first party games including higher resolutions, faster frame rates, and dramatically shorter load times. There may be other benefits that we don't yet know about, but I'm excited enough for Halo Infinite, new Forza games, Fable, and whatever else comes from the eclectic bunch of studios they've acquired, that those three things alone are enough for me.

- My entire library comes with me, and plays better on the Series X including automatic HDR on games that have never had it (big HDR fan!).

- I want to support what Microsoft is trying to do with their Xbox ecosystem, because overall I find it a more compelling proposition than what Sony or Nintendo are currently offering (that may of course change in the coming weeks!). Game Pass including all new first party games, xCloud functionality for all of those games, backwards compatibility across generations including automatic upgrades to old games - this feels to me like how gaming should be, and I want to put my money where my mouth is to support that.

- This is speculative right now, but the feeling seems to be that overall the specs of the Series X vs PS5 will lead to the best versions of third party next gen games being on Series X. Will be interesting to see if this comes to pass! I think PS5s crazy SSD sounds awesome, but my guess is we'll only see the benefits of that on exclusive titles, and in every other category the Series X looks to have the edge, plus its SSD is no slouch either.

Three of those reasons are obviously pretty techie and about wanting the best possible version of the games you play. I understand that's not important for everyone though, and if that's the case I do totally see why the Series X may not be for everyone right now.

What I would say is that if you're rocking an original Xbox One right now, playing games at 900p-1080p then the jump to native 4K HDR visuals will feel absolutely huge!

EDIT: This all probably supports your point that the average joe who may not care about this stuff might not see the point in the Series X, but early on it's not the average joe that either Microsoft or Sony are after - it's you and me, and the rest of the folk on this forum (the hardcore!). And I think they've got a great proposition for us. Whether they can crack what the proposition is for everyone else is another matter!
NoMoreSpearows

Post by NoMoreSpearows »

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Game gear micro? Megaton!

Ahem.
Suits

Post by Suits »

That's too small for me.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Apparently this isn't their big announcement. Famitsu is reporting something to do with arcades under the name of 'Fog Gaming'
Sinclair Gregstrum

NoMoreSpearows wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 5:17 am https://twitter.com/SEGA_OFFICIAL/statu ... 3392778242

You can do better than that, SEGA.
Am the only person who likes this? :roll:

People seem to be being really critical (not necessarily here but across the internet at large), but to me it's good old bonkers Sega!

This is very Japanese, and I'd be surprised to be honest if these even make it out worldwide. Many of the games included certainly didn't. They're just meant to be fun collectibles rather than serious mini-consoles, and personally I think they're super cute :D
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I mean yeah they look nice, but they could have actually made them playable. A 1.5 inch screen or whatever it is, is just a bit silly really. And the 4 games per console. It's classic Sega alright, but it's a shame they're just not a bit better. Every time Sega announce something I keep wondering if it's the big thing. This, the Sega drinks, there was something else yesterday too... They're trolling us!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I’m not mocking the game gear micro, I’m mocking the way the internet decided this was going to be huge news and it... isn’t.

At least not yet anyway.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Alex79uk wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 10:30 am I mean yeah they look nice, but they could have actually made them playable. A 1.5 inch screen or whatever it is, is just a bit silly really. And the 4 games per console. It's classic Sega alright, but it's a shame they're just not a bit better. Every time Sega announce something I keep wondering if it's the big thing. This, the Sega drinks, there was something else yesterday too... They're trolling us!
I'd agree it's a shame it's not something better (e.g. the seemingly obvious Dreamcast mini that they'll probably never do), but I've long given up on Sega doing anything with their classic systems or IP that makes much sense. With these things being so bloody small you have to assume they're not even really planning on people actually playing them in any serious way.

Because I'm idiot I'd totally buy one if they do ever come out over here, or maybe get an import if prices are reasonable.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Flabyo wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 10:42 am I’m not mocking the game gear micro, I’m mocking the way the internet decided this was going to be huge news and it... isn’t.

At least not yet anyway.
Yeah, it's not huge news in any way, shape or form is it :lol:
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

If they were disposable and you could get them out of a vending machine at a train station for £1.50 and it lasted like an hour for your journey (roughly six times as long as the original) and then you just binned it, yeah, OK. I might occasionally get one for that purpose, like I occasionally get a Millionaire Shortbread from M&S in the train station or a physical magazine or some fags.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

:lol:

What a bizarre concept. I like it!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Well, I can't say I'm not disappointed with Sega's big announcement. Another case of The Internet building far too much hype for something without any idea of what it might be!

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sega- ... 0-6477989/
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

An achievement list has popped up for a remake of Kingdoms of Amalur.

Good game that was, once you get past the slightly overlong first act. It’s not far off where I wanted us to take the Fable combat system but we never did.