Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
stvnorman

Re: Videogame News

Post by stvnorman »

ratsoalbion wrote: October 2nd, 2020, 1:14 pm I've already ordered this:
https://store.strictlylimitedgames.com/ ... 4-preorder

Couldn't face springing for the €200 version though.
I really wish I hadn’t clicked that link. I’ll now only be able to put off the inevitable for so long, and my wife just isn’t going to understand! That is a beautiful set and a fantastic collection.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: October 1st, 2020, 3:59 pm Just a few months ago I paid £45 on day one for The Last of Us Part II, a AAA Playstation exclusive. Demon Souls on PS5, a AAA Playstation exclusive (although a remake!), is £69.99 everywhere you look - a £25 price increase. You can argue that the RRP of TLOU 2 is actually more like £49.99 or maybe even £54.99, but that's still a £20 or £15 increase, and the fact is I could find the game easily at £45 day one without trying.
Isn't there usually an increase at the start of a new generation and prices fall slowly over the course of the generation. I think new boxed games were €70 (some maybe even €75) in shops at the start of the gen and now its €60-65. I agree it is a bit of a bump to €80 (see Demon's Souls) this time though.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I dropped £70 on Turok in 1997 so it is the usual start of the generation taking advantage of early adaptors.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

ColinAlonso wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 6:42 pm Isn't there usually an increase at the start of a new generation and prices fall slowly over the course of the generation. I think new boxed games were €70 (some maybe even €75) in shops at the start of the gen and now its €60-65. I agree it is a bit of a bump to €80 (see Demon's Souls) this time though.
DomsBeard wrote: October 4th, 2020, 7:19 am I dropped £70 on Turok in 1997 so it is the usual start of the generation taking advantage of early adaptors.
Some Nintendo cartridges back in the day were very pricey! In today's money that's about £125!

I'm not quite buying the taking advantage of early adaptors or 'it gets cheaper as the gen goes on' things though.

Neither statement is wrong necessarily as there is definitely a bit of truth to that, but actual RRPs - as in the price the retailer is told they can sell at - for at least the last 3 gens have never been as high as £69.99. They have largely been £49.99 or £54.99 in the UK, and really it's only the likes of GAME here that actually sells new titles at that price, with most online retailers offering games around £45 at release.

I really don't see that being the case moving forward now, as if you're a retailer being told by your supplier that the sticker price of a product is £70, you don't discount it to £45 day one. I'm going to bet we're looking at day one discounts on RRP down to £60 at best even when things settle down a bit. Yes there will be sales and price reductions on older games etc, but I'm talking what you'll be paying day one/first few months after release.

On the flip side, what we're hopefully going to get is more exploration of scaled pricing for games, so yes full price AAA games might be £60-£70, but we're already seeing with the likes of Miles Morales on PS5 that smaller experiences could be priced lower. That said, given that the high benchmark is now £70, that 'smaller experience' is still £52 here in the UK.

Hopefully I'm just a doomsayer and completely wrong (although this is fairly evidence-based and not just my view obviously - see Eurogamer article!), but I don't see how life as a PS5 gamer who likes to buy their games early doors isn't going to be quite expensive over the coming years.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm hoping this doesn't have a knock on effect to smaller indie games, too. The likes of Hyper Light Drifter and Hollow Knight are impulse buy kind of prices on release at the moment, but bumping games like that up to £25-30 and things might be very different.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I see stadia is trending on twitter and think Bomberman must be going main steam a la fallguys.

Reality:

https://9to5google.com/2020/10/22/gamer ... ssion=true

:o
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Absolutely gratuitous and over the top? Yes

Will I be giving Netherrealm £12 just to play as Rambo?

Yes

He looks so much fun. They've really knocked it out of the park with MK11 with its great expansion of characters and Aftermath (though Robocop was a bit of a disappointment).
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Saw a funny thing on Twitter recently that said Mortal Kombat 11 is turning in to Smash Bros designed by your dad in the 80s.

:lol:

Never played the game, but loving the fact it's just being filled with 80s action heroes. Wonder if they'll do Quaid off Total Recall, or Arnies Commando character. Or the cast of the A-Team!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The A Team wouldn’t be allowed to perform any Fatalities though...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

:lol:

Very good.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Yeah friendships only 😂
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Mass Effect trilogy remasters finally confirmed by Bioware. Spring 2021.

Yes!!

No Switch port announced though. Shame, I'd love to have them 'on the go'.

https://blog.bioware.com/2020/11/07/happy-n7-day-4/
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I mean, I really don't know what to make of this...

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/kf ... rs-2844512

Surely it can't be real? But it seems like it is..!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Alex79uk wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 11:10 pm I mean, I really don't know what to make of this...

Surely that is a hoax! It must be! Or is it? If it isn’t that is insanely brilliant. It look rather small so I might get one🤪
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Simonsloth wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 9:15 am
Alex79uk wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 11:10 pm I mean, I really don't know what to make of this...

Surely that is a hoax! It must be! Or is it? If it isn’t that is insanely brilliant. It look rather small so I might get one🤪
I know, I mean instantly it registers as a hoax, but it's not April, and everything they're saying seems to sound real...? BUT IT CAN'T BE!? :lol:

Oh come on it can't be, can it? Seems to have higher specs than both current gen machines...!
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

It seems to be real but I don't think they're intending to sell it haha
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Netflix will stop working on the Wii-U and 3DS later on this year: https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2021/01/06 ... u-offline/

Not huge news, but I also saw a notification on my PS3 last week saying the Sky Go app will cease to work from Jan 18th. This is actually a real pain, since we use my PS3 to watch TV upstairs. Netflix is easily available on most smart TVs and Firesticks etc, but the Sky app is a little more difficult to come by. We don't actually have Sky, we use my partners parents log in, so we can watch it at our house. Disappointed we won't be able to use it upstairs any more!

I do wonder how many parents use their old consoles as basically TV streaming boxes for their kids bedrooms, too. I bet there's a fair few. Ah well.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

My Dad uses my old PS3 for watching Netflix on and amazon prime
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Delighted to hear about the new Indiana Jones game yesterday. Despite being a huge fan of the films (excluding the last one) I haven't played any of the games. I am a big fan of Machine Games after their Wolfenstein games, so I expect they will do a good job, I just hope Lucasfilm doesn't restrict what they can do creatively. I think the Wolfenstein games have some great writing so I'm expecting this new game will have some good Indy one liners and humour that was done well in the Wolfenstein games alongside more serious moments.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Truk_Kurt wrote: January 13th, 2021, 10:23 am Delighted to hear about the new Indiana Jones game yesterday. Despite being a huge fan of the films (excluding the last one) I haven't played any of the games. I am a big fan of Machine Games after their Wolfenstein games, so I expect they will do a good job, I just hope Lucasfilm doesn't restrict what they can do creatively. I think the Wolfenstein games have some great writing so I'm expecting this new game will have some good Indy one liners and humour that was done well in the Wolfenstein games alongside more serious moments.
I’m pleased too. I think they need to have a break from Wolfenstein and this is welcome news. My only reservation is that Indy films are PG rated family romps whereas Wolfenstein in terms of tone is the polar opposite!