Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Truk_Kurt

Re: Videogame News

Post by Truk_Kurt »

I'm not too fearful of it becoming outdated as it sounds more powerful than the Switch by some distance (apparently it's similar to the PS4 in terms of power) and we have seen on Switch how games like Doom Eternal have been scaled down for it. I suspect most people know it's not going to be playing the latest stuff at top settings and will most likely stick to their PC or console for those types of experiences, but this should be fine running indie games for years and years I suspect.
However, I did read in an interview with someone from Valve that their intention is to release updated versions of the steamdeck overtime, but no word on how frequently.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Spec Analysis: Steam Deck - can it really handle triple-A PC gaming? (Eurogamer/Digital Foundry):
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digi ... c-analysis
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

There's a pretty big difference between console hardware, which is specific to each platform so devs can optimize specifically for it, and with known amounts of OS overhead, and PC hardware, where all you can do is make it run as efficiently as possible and hope it works on as many systems as possible. That said, personally, if I end up picking one of these up, it will mostly be for random indie games, so it's probably won't matter much. The types of games that either don't hit consoles, or are more expensive on consoles, or early access stuff. For AAA titles, there's not much downside to playing on console these days anyway. $400 is a bit steep, but I'm definitely intrigued.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Trying to get one was a bit of a farce yesterday. I was out so had to try on my phone but to no success. As soon as I got home and tried on my PC via steam it worked first time, have to wait till Q2 2022 though.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Disappointed to see the news about Pro Evo going free to play. I will reserve full judgement till we see how the free to play element is implemented for single player modes, if those modes exist at all. Kind of sucks that there won't be single player at launch though.
Whippledip

Post by Whippledip »

My biggest hesitation would be how quickly Valve has previously abandoned their own previous hardware projects
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It's official!

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/ ... -coming-so

GTA 3, VC and SA remastered coming to basically all platforms this year! I'm really pleased about this, can't wait to play them again on Switch!
SludgeWizard

Post by SludgeWizard »

Alex79 wrote: October 8th, 2021, 6:22 pm It's official!

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/ ... -coming-so

GTA 3, VC and SA remastered coming to basically all platforms this year! I'm really pleased about this, can't wait to play them again on Switch!
I'm looking forward to this more than I expected to, but I'm also waiting to see what type of gameplay improvements they've made.
I've never fully completed VC or SA, and haven't played any of the previous ports because I'm afraid of how poorly the gameplay has aged.

Fingers crossed!
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Yeah I’m going to hold fire to see what they look like first before getting too excited as I already own them on PS4 and PC. If it’s just an up res to 4k and frame rate improvements I probably won’t bother. Dream case scenario is that they make them as good looking as GTA V on last gen for the switch version and better on the other consoles and PC. The fact that there’s mobile ports doesn’t make me hopeful though
SludgeWizard

Post by SludgeWizard »

So ConcernedApe's new game was just announced, Haunted Chocolatier.

What do you guys think?

I like the concept, but honestly I couldn't help but feel disappointed watching the reveal. It looks exactly like Stardew Valley. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore Stardew Valley, I've spent many many many hours building up Sasquatch Farms and running my cheese business, but I was really looking forward to seeing what ConcernedApe put out next. I don't want to be a mean old fart, but it looks like Stardew Valley DLC I would have skipped.

I don't know, I bet it will be good, but I can't help but have the wind taken out of my sails a little bit with that announcement.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

I suppose with all due respect to the success ConcernedApe enjoyed with SV, there's not a lot of originality there. It's very refined and there's a lot of depth to the execution, but it occupies a narrow existing genre. You'd hope that with a few quid in the bank these days he would have felt a bit more comfortable to experiment, but maybe he just really loves this type of game. I also think that most people, most audiences, want the same thing over and over with slight tweaks. I'm sure it will be enormous.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

GTA Trilogy trailer with graphics comparisons. I think the graphics have been touched up quite nicely, personally. I wasn't expecting the games to be running in the GTA V engine or anything like that. More than happy with this.

SludgeWizard

Post by SludgeWizard »

Alex79 wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 3:08 pm I think the graphics have been touched up quite nicely, personally. I wasn't expecting the games to be running in the GTA V engine or anything like that. More than happy with this.
Agreed. I'll definitely be picking it up (once it goes on sale, my back log is too deep to justify any full price purchase at this point)
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I never played San Andreas, so I guess this will be the perfect way to do it. I'll have to wait for a sale since it's the game of trilogy I'll be playing (sort of like that Castlevania Advance collection that just came out).

I will say, I was not expecting the wave of nostalgia that came over me when they had that shot of driving through Liberty City in the rain. I know the games have "improved" since, but GTA3 was as transformative of a game for me as they came.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

They've also announced that the remastered versions of San Andreas will hit Gamepass on the day the trilogy is released, and GTA 3 will be on PS Now in December.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I've a horrible feeling the original soundtracks will be dlc only.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I doubt we'll even be that lucky. They'll probably simply cut a bunch of songs and leave it at that. On top of that I have a suspicion the PC versions will also be hostile to mods, given how 2K has been acting around that issue the past few years, so adding back in those old songs might not be possible either.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

https://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/batman-arkham-asylum

Saw this come up yesterday and I managed to get tickets this morning :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Masayuki Uemura, Creator Of The NES And SNES, Has Passed Away.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/ ... assed-away