Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
duskvstweak

Re: Videogame News

Post by duskvstweak »

Honestly, I prefer new IP-based loving homages like Shovel Knight and The Messenger over certain series going backwards.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I too hadn't heard of Cyber Shadow... but now I'm glad I had!

I would be curious to see a modern interpretation of Splatterhouse, using a similar vintage aesthetic.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I’ll just leave this here.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Somebody straight up made a new Burnout game in all but name when I wasn't looking...
...and it's coming out IN LESS THAN TWO WEEKS:

Simon, Eric, you guys seeing this?! :o

It looks a bit on the cheaper side though, I hope I'm not getting all hyped for nothing...
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 29th, 2019, 6:36 pm Somebody straight up made a new Burnout game in all but name when I wasn't looking...
...and it's coming out IN LESS THAN TWO WEEKS:
Not just "somebody", it's got a lot of the main people behind the original games behind it. Namely Fiona Sperry and Alex Ward, to be precise. I've been keeping my eye on these guys for a while ever since they split off from Criterion to do their own thing, much like how the Playtonic people split off from Rare to make Yooka Laylee. Took a while but they finally got around to making another Burnout-like thing. Hope it turns out well. Their previous games have been a bit rough round the edges, and have a kind of prototype feel to them. This looks like it'll hopefully be a notch higher than that at least.

Also if you buy the physical version of this game it comes packaged with another game they made, Danger Zone 2. Which is basically Burnout's crash mode as its own standalone thing. Which is handy, since Dangerous Driving itself won't have the feature.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Scrustle wrote: March 29th, 2019, 7:15 pm Not just "somebody", it's got a lot of the main people behind the original games behind it. Namely Fiona Sperry and Alex Ward, to be precise. I've been keeping my eye on these guys for a while ever since they split off from Criterion to do their own thing, much like how the Playtonic people split off from Rare to make Yooka Laylee. Took a while but they finally got around to making another Burnout-like thing. Hope it turns out well. Their previous games have been a bit rough round the edges, and have a kind of prototype feel to them. This looks like it'll hopefully be a notch higher than that at least.

Also if you buy the physical version of this game it comes packaged with another game they made, Danger Zone 2. Which is basically Burnout's crash mode as its own standalone thing. Which is handy, since Dangerous Driving itself won't have the feature.
Yeah man, I looked up Three Fields Entertainment in the meantime, and it's composed of ex-Criterion devs. I knew they had formed a new studio and were working on a new game, but I had no idea this was it, nor that it was so close to release! I suppose they couldn't afford any major marketing campaign.

Definitely going to buy the physical version no questions asked, and if it turns out to be a complete dud then so be it. I feel like taking a chance on these guys given their pedigree.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’m a little pessimistic as dangerous golf and danger zone weren’t (in my opinion) that good. I will wait and see with this one.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Article from Fiona Sperry herself over on the PlayStation blog, including some Q&A's in the comments.

It's always a bit difficult to know where genuine info ends and marketing begins with articles like these, but it's an interesting read nonetheless. Excited for the game, I really want it to be good.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

KSubzero1000 wrote: April 5th, 2019, 1:42 pm Article from Fiona Sperry herself over on the PlayStation blog, including some Q&A's in the comments.

It's always a bit difficult to know where genuine info ends and marketing begins with articles like these, but it's an interesting read nonetheless. Excited for the game, I really want it to be good.
Ok so I’m excited now
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

From what I've been seeing, early impressions are pretty positive. It seems it will be what it looks like. A bit rough around the edges and light on content, but with a solid core that scratches the Burnout itch. I like the sound of some of the tweaks they're making to the formula too. Nothing major, but just enough to make it feel like it's not just a worse Burnout 3, and that it actually has some original ideas.

The lack of a soundtrack is a little disappointing, and somewhat puzzling (if licensed music is too expensive, why not do something simple like 1 and 2 had?), but all that has really done is change what platform I intend to get the game on. Without a Spotify subscription, I'll just replicate the same functionality by playing my own music in the background on PC. I'll miss out on the Danger Zone 2 bundle, but the racing side of Burnout has always been way more interesting to me anyway. It's an interesting coincidence that Forza Horizon 3's version of this custom soundtrack feature got shut down so recently. A shame Dangerous Driving won't have the same cool diegetic treatment of the custom soundtrack as that game.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Very exciting Microsoft news.

Well... I thought it was funny...
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I laughed at the "screenshot". :lol:
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Octopath Traveler coming to the PC is very exciting to me. It's looks lovely.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

It is a gorgeous game and the music is even better. Combat is neat and satisfying and the game opens up in terms of combat options and job classes and stuff. It seems to tick all the boxes. The story side is a bit underwhelming though, to my tastes, because it's eight self-contained individual threads, one per character, each split up into four episodes. I can see their thinking and I guess it's plenty varied in terms of the characters but I missed the sense of camaraderie and epic adventure that JRPGs excel at. On the other hand, it's different and the low-key approach will no doubt really appeal to some.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Stanshall wrote: April 11th, 2019, 5:19 pm It is a gorgeous game and the music is even better. Combat is neat and satisfying and the game opens up in terms of combat options and job classes and stuff. It seems to tick all the boxes. The story side is a bit underwhelming though, to my tastes, because it's eight self-contained individual threads, one per character, each split up into four episodes. I can see their thinking and I guess it's plenty varied in terms of the characters but I missed the sense of camaraderie and epic adventure that JRPGs excel at. On the other hand, it's different and the low-key approach will no doubt really appeal to some.
Yeah, I've heard that about the character interaction, which is strange given that when it was coming out, I remember people comparing it to Final Fantasy VI, which is all about character interaction.

But, yeah, I don't mind a cozy JRPG taking a low-key approach.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Octopath Traveller is beautiful.

I took it to France camping last summer and would often wind down in a chair with a beer as the warm sun went down.

After 60 hours I got my main three characters all to their final chapters and the others to chapter 3 but never actually finished it.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

It reminds me of Golden Sun? That was a game that didn't grab me story wise, but had gorgeous graphics and a nice soundtrack to go along with solid gameplay.
Suits

Post by Suits »

duskvstweak wrote: April 11th, 2019, 7:00 pm It reminds me of Golden Sun? That was a game that didn't grab me story wise, but had gorgeous graphics and a nice soundtrack to go along with solid gameplay.
Going back to Octopath for a second but the issue I had with its story wasn't that I didn't enjoy it per say, it's just that it was gated to a degree behind bringing characters up to certain levels to progress it.

In fact, I found the individual stories really compelling and took my time with them.

The problem was, if you gravitated to a certain character or story, one you'd beaten that chapter, as you move onto the next chapter it would give a recommended level - often these were way higher, on occasion a whole ten levels, so to increase your characters level you are supposed to choose a new character, add them/replace with someone in your party and do their lower chapter stories to bring your other characters levels up and that's how you'd progress.

It's a cool system, encourages party variability and makes you learn new styles.

The victim is a broken up story, made up of eight different stories.

The developers have heard the cries of the fans and I'm sure will be mindful of this in their next adventure - which is rumoured to already be underway.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'll just leave this here...

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... +and+rinse

Apologies if the description isn't quite spot on. It took three rewrites before they accepted it - it's harder to get something on there than you'd think!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

:D