Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Truk_Kurt

Re: Videogame News

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Any highlights from The Game Awards?

I was pleased to hear the announcement of Alan Wake 2 and the Wonder Woman game from the developers behind the Shadow of Mordor games.

I also really liked the look of the gameplay trailer for Rocksteady's Suicide Squad. It looks like there is a good level of variety in the combat between each of the characters.
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

I thought there were a surprising amount of games showcased that I'm interested in. Horizon Forbidden West, Elden Ring, Hellblade II*, and Forspoken are all games I was already looking forward to, and the new footage looked fantastic.

Forspoken actually looks quite Horizon-y (in terms of gameplay and having a likable female lead), so I think I'll probably enjoy it quite a bit. I actually think the temp title, Project Athia, is a more memorable and cooler name than Forspoken, which I keep forgetting :P.

Hellblade II looks absolutely stupidly beautiful. Although nothing they reveal can quite top that amazing teaser trailer Ninja Theory did a few years ago with the chanting and the mountain giant. Hellblade was one game I loved for atmosphere and audio and aesthetic rather than gameplay so it would be lovely if the sequel, with the budget boost (?) I assume they got from Microsoft, means the gameplay is improved.

Slitter Head, the new The Expanse game, the Texas Chainsaw Massacre game, and Suicide Squad (like Kurt said), all look potentially interesting.

Star Wars game looked pretty but it was this very Cane and Rinse podcast that put me off trying Quantic Dream games :p

* (although I have no gaming pc or xbox so it looks like I'll just have to watch Let's Plays)
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I thought the gameplay of the Suicide Squad game look very reminiscent of the Sunset Overdrive, which isn't a bad thing for me.

I doubt I'll be able to run it, but Alan Wake II was exciting to hear.

And Planet of Lana and Tunic looked just great.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

I'm over the moon that Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine II got announced. Wasn't expecting that! The original was a genuinely great game, and sorely underrated.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Miririn wrote: December 10th, 2021, 1:46 pmStar Wars game looked pretty but it was this very Cane and Rinse podcast that put me off trying Quantic Dream games :p
I really enjoyed Heavy Rain and Detroit, for what it's worth. I even enjoyed Beyond Two Souls as I was playing it, but can appreciate it is actually quite a poor game. (I stand by Heavy Rain and Detroit as great videogames, though). I say take a look at them!
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/01/18/ ... ft-gaming/

Microsoft buying Activision/Blizzard.

Although great as a GamePass subscriber I really don't like this Disney-style monopoly Microsoft seem to be building. Plus Kotick is apparently staying on, baffling.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Rhaegyr wrote: January 18th, 2022, 2:00 pm https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/01/18/ ... ft-gaming/

Microsoft buying Activision/Blizzard.

Although great as a GamePass subscriber I really don't like this Disney-style monopoly Microsoft seem to be building. Plus Kotick is apparently staying on, baffling.
I can't imagine he'll be staying on for long. Simply mindboggling that this news didn't leak.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

He'll hang around until the sale and integration process is complete before leaving with a golden handshake on top of whatever he personally made from the sale.

I've played so few Activision games in recent years that this has little direct impact on me, but losing a major third party publisher like this can't be great going forward. Will it result in more consolidations in the publisher space in the coming years?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ColinAlonso wrote: January 18th, 2022, 8:50 pm I've played so few Activision games in recent years that this has little direct impact on me, but losing a major third party publisher like this can't be great going forward. Will it result in more consolidations in the publisher space in the coming years?
Said the same myself, I think in the last ten years I've played Modern Warfare Remastered, Tony Hawk's Remastered and Sekiro. Had a look through their output over the last few years and it seems like quite an odd purchase for Microsoft. I'd have thought there were far more interesting companies than this to buy out.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Worth a look through these to understand why perhaps MS have splashed out on the whole shebang:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activision#Studios

https://www.pcgamer.com/every-game-and- ... cebook.com
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

It was more of a personal observation regarding Activision.

There are plenty of reasons for Microsoft to buy them. One of the guys on DF Direct described CoD as the FIFA of first person shooters, it's often an impulse buy for many who may not follow video games the way we do. Now Microsoft can get that audience specifically to Xbox and gamepass.

They've also purchased many studios and IP continuing a push that started in 2018/19 with smaller studios and continued with Zenimax.

Blizzard has different benefits, with ongoing games like WoW and Overwatch having captive audiences. Could WoW subscriptions be discounted for gamepass subscribers? That will push the all important subscriber number even more.

I'm not sure how they'll fold King into their plans. Maybe Microsoft will be happy just having that foot in the phone market? I don't know.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Alex79 wrote: January 18th, 2022, 11:14 pm
ColinAlonso wrote: January 18th, 2022, 8:50 pm I've played so few Activision games in recent years that this has little direct impact on me, but losing a major third party publisher like this can't be great going forward. Will it result in more consolidations in the publisher space in the coming years?
Said the same myself, I think in the last ten years I've played Modern Warfare Remastered, Tony Hawk's Remastered and Sekiro. Had a look through their output over the last few years and it seems like quite an odd purchase for Microsoft. I'd have thought there were far more interesting companies than this to buy out.
There may be more interesting companies they could buy in terms of IP, but I doubt they would make as much money for Microsoft or entice the more casual players who only play COD, Diablo or Overwatch to buy an Xbox or Game Pass subscription.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I guess, but Call of Duty will never go Xbox exclusive, I can't see that happening at all.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

I think it could happen in a few years time. There are established COD communities on the other platforms, but I imagine they might be tempted to migrate to Xbox if MS offer content only on Xbox. I'm 50/50 on it as I would not have expected The Elder Scrolls to go exclusive either but here we are. Last night I was in the mind that I didn't think it would ever go exclusive either but the more I thought about it, the more I thought it could make sense. For MS they would stand to make more money from getting PlayStation COD players to buy an Xbox and/or annual Game Pass subscription than to let them carry on playing on PlayStation where the only money they would get would be from the one time purchase of the game and any DLC.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Well this is disappointing; E3 totally cancelled this year, no digital event.

https://www.ign.com/articles/e3-2022-of ... y-canceled

Not sure why, after they've managed the last couple of years. I know a lot of people won't give a shit, but I love E3 week.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Yeah, I love E3 week too so disappointed to see it cancelled next year. They say it will be back in 2023 but to be honest, I'm not confident that will happen either. It seems as though Geoff Keighleys summer game fest event has taken over the E3 mantle.
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

LucasFilm Games has announced Return to Monkey Island, a follow up to the acclaimed adventure game series led by original writer and director Ron Gilbert.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/new ... land-game/

Hyped would be an understatement.

Good luck to Ron on finally explaining/continuing that Monkey Island 2 ending!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Amazing news!

Delighted by this!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout is going free to play in June alongside the long awaited Switch and Xbox release of the game. Personally, I'm well pleased about this. Had planned all along to pick it up for Switch when it came out as I've still not played it, and this means the kids can have it on their Switch for no cost too!
DeadpoolNegative

Post by DeadpoolNegative »

Rhaegyr wrote: April 4th, 2022, 4:17 pm Good luck to Ron on finally explaining/continuing that Monkey Island 2 ending!
So much for my theory that The ending of Monkey Island 2 was meant to destroy the franchise for good...

--Dan