Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Videogame News

Post by ratsoalbion »

Buyer beware though, the retro scene is pretty down on this unit due to poor performance, dreadful sound emulation and various other ‘cheap and nasty’ tech issues.

You’d probably be better off with the recent compilation for console in my opinion.

Also, Sonic 3 ain’t on either, due to the Michael Jackson music.

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ah there had to be a catch, didn't there! Yeah I will get the compilation for PS4 at some point. I wish Sega would release an arcade compilation, though. Imagine Outrun, Sega Rally, Crazy Taxi, Golden Axe series, Space Harriet, Afterburner, Hang On etc etc all arcade perfect on current consoles. That would be awesome.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Golden Axe trilogy is available on Xbox One (via backwards compatibility), though no Revenge of Death Adder sadly.
Super Hang On is also available via that route (arcade perfect). Out Run is coming to Switch very soon (also by M2).
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

I think I heard somewhere that Sega will be putting out a new version of the Mega Drive/Genesis Classic next year - perhaps that will be an improvement over the notoriously shoddy past versions?
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

KissMammal wrote: November 21st, 2018, 8:23 pm I think I heard somewhere that Sega will be putting out a new version of the Mega Drive/Genesis Classic next year - perhaps that will be an improvement over the notoriously shoddy past versions?
We should find out sometime next year. It certainly looks the part!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Sound emulation seems to be the major failure of every ‘mini megadrive’ that’s been released so far. It’s a notoriously awkward bit of kit to emulate in software.

Now this though, this is the way to do it: https://www.analogue.co/mega-sg/
Suits

Post by Suits »

Even Sega struggled to get the Mega Drive to sound correct, just listen to the MK2 over the MK1.

That analogue will be the business, I have the SNES one and it’s a wonderful piece of hardware.

It’ll also play Master System games and X32 which is great.

I’ve just come to the personal realisation that I prefer to play 16 BiT games on a CRT/PVM - they just look so much better.

That said, the analogue products are great, little to no lag and lots of display options that is easily accessible for modern display panels through a HDMI.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Flabyo wrote: November 21st, 2018, 10:48 pm Sound emulation seems to be the major failure of every ‘mini megadrive’ that’s been released so far. It’s a notoriously awkward bit of kit to emulate in software.

Now this though, this is the way to do it: https://www.analogue.co/mega-sg/
That looks great, but I wish they'd allow for running games from an SD card. It seems its original carts only?
Suits

Post by Suits »

Alex79uk wrote: November 22nd, 2018, 8:22 am That looks great, but I wish they'd allow for running games from an SD card. It seems its original carts only?
They will take Everdrives and similar multicarts.

There’s also quite a few jailbreaks and such that will allow direct access to games from a SD card inserted into the unit.
Joshihatsumitsu

Yeah, there's definitely no substitute for the real thing: if it's possible to find the space for a CRT, and to use original hardware, then its definitely worth the effort.

I make compromises too: I have a Retro Freak setup (which definitely isn't as nice as the Analogue machines), and I aim for roms of games I could never afford physical copies of, or are super rare. (Rendering Ranger R2, Magincal Pop'n, Summer Carnival '92: Recca, etc). Not perfection, but it's in my budget.

There's a few decent options around now, with Everdrives and what not. It's just finding what suits your needs and budget.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Awesome news for me specifically - the National Videogame Museum has just opened in Sheffield, my adopted home city!

https://www.thenvm.org/

Not managed to get over there yet as it only opened on Saturday, but apparently it's packed with games including lots of arcade cabs. Only a tenner to get in with everything free to play once you're there, which doesn't seem bad to me.

I'll let you know what it's like once I've managed to visit.

They'd better have an entire exhibit dedicated to the Saturn mind or I'm walking straight out...
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Planning a visit next year. Also Arcade Club in Bury!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I think it’s a shame it had to move on from its Nottingham site (cause that’s my old home town) but when I visited it there it was pretty clear the location meant it wasn’t getting much casual footfall, and the space was quite twisty and maze like (old building, lots of support walls).
Sinclair Gregstrum

ratsoalbion wrote: November 26th, 2018, 4:52 pm Planning a visit next year. Also Arcade Club in Bury!
I've heard Arcade Club is very good! Just a shame it's in Bury as it's not very easy to get to unless you live Manchester way. Will have to make the pilgrimage one day :roll:
Sinclair Gregstrum

Flabyo wrote: November 26th, 2018, 4:58 pm I think it’s a shame it had to move on from its Nottingham site (cause that’s my old home town) but when I visited it there it was pretty clear the location meant it wasn’t getting much casual footfall, and the space was quite twisty and maze like (old building, lots of support walls).
I did wonder why it had moved. I really hope it fares better in Sheffield. Certainly a bigger city that's well connected to the likes of Manchester and Leeds so that might make a difference (not doing down Nottingham of course which I like very much!).

It's not in the nicest end of town unfortunately as lots of money has been spent redeveloping the opposite side of the city centre recently leaving that part looking a bit unloved. The museum is in the old Co-Op building which has been largely empty for a long time so not a place people are used to going to, but I guess that means they got good value for the amount of space they needed and as a not-for-profit organisation funding will be tight.

It is still within what you'd class as the city centre though with heavy footfall around the area, so not a terrible location on that front and it's certainly easily accessible (you could walk from the train station, there's a tram stop nearby, and for a big city there's plenty of car parking in Sheffield as well).

Looking forward to checking it out and fingers crossed it really takes off!
Joshihatsumitsu

You guys are so lucky... I think the closet thing we have in Australia (or at least Sydney-ways) museum-wise is The Nostalgia Box in Perth, a good six-hour flight away.

We don't really do culture down here... it's most Mad Max-styled dust storm car battles, and dead-end Wake in Fright-esque beer-soaked-existential-crisis style living.

But I guess we have nice beaches... :|
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Just seen a tweet that as of the 13th of December Game will no longer be accepting the following for trade in for either cash or credit:

PS3
Wii-U
Ps Vita

That is for games and the consoles themselves
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

DomsBeard wrote: November 27th, 2018, 12:50 pm Just seen a tweet that as of the 13th of December Game will no longer be accepting the following for trade in for either cash or credit:

PS3
Wii-U
Ps Vita

That is for games and the consoles themselves
Huh!?

What a bizarre decision. Surely a large part of their sales is from traded games? So they're basically saying they won't stock anything from last gen within a few months once their current stock runs out. OK, well they really don't seem to care any more!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I’m frankly amazed they’ve continued with the previous gen this long. they have to a draw a line at some point with every generation, otherwise they end of with a shop and warehouse full of largely valueless stock. Look at the prices of 360/PS3 games in CEX now.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I guess, but I'll be interested to see what they actually fill the shelves with. At least half the store at my local one is last gen pre-owned.