Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Sinclair Gregstrum

Re: Videogame News

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Suits wrote: December 16th, 2019, 11:00 pm I think the Saturn looks rad.
I like you Suits
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/1 ... y_concerns

That's really unfortunate, I would have loved to have the chance to finally play these. :(

Not sure I understand the "localisation" talking point considering how all three main games were translated in english when they originally came out in the US. It wouldn't have been the first english-only niche release in Europe and I think that would have been a perfectly acceptable compromise.

What about a basic native resolution PSN port, then? Surely that would be affordable, no?

This sucks.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Xenogears would never have been part of it anyway, that belongs to Square not Namco.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

This is amazing news!!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Last Human Safed
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

https://twitter.com/PlayApex/status/122 ... 43457?s=09

This new trailer for Apex Legends is absolutely amazing. Don't read the comments, go in blind. I love this.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Some interesting things are happening with Platinum today.

First, they are running a Kickstarter campaign to port The Wonderful 101 to Switch and other consoles. So far it's been very successful, already passing that original goal, and currently very close to the PS4 threshold. It'll probably be past it by the time I post this.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pl ... escription

They're also teasing something called "Platinum 4", which could be anything. The name makes me think of the Capcom 5, and with Platinum talking about how they want to start self-publishing (like with TW101) I can see that being a thing. The font/styling of the page though look very similar to Nier Automata though. Not sure how that can relate to the number 4. Drakengard 4 maybe?

https://four.platinumgames.com/

(I just noticed that page now lists TW101 Kickstarter on the page, so it seems the multiple project thing might be true)
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Metroid Prime 4? :D
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Very cool looking Double Dragon and Kunio Kun 18 game collection coming very soon!
https://uk.ign.com/articles/double-drag ... -announced
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

That's cool. Still never played River City Ransom properly, it's on the NES collection on the Switch I think so should give it a go.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The Japanese release of it in 2018 (yes, that long ago) has an xbox one version as well, so I’d be surprised if that doesn’t turn up too.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Possibility of Persona games coming to Switch?

https://personacentral.com/atlus-ninten ... n-odyssey/
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

GoldenEra trailer!

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh cool! Love a good video game doc.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

clippa wrote: February 27th, 2020, 9:57 am Might be good - Hotshot Racing

You beat me to it Clippa! I come onto the thread to post about this one!

Looks right up my street, and really loving that faux-90s poly art style. Sumo Digital have a hand in it, and aside from local loyalties (their HQ is in Sheffield - my adopted home city!), they've got a pretty strong track record with arcade-style racers.

Will definitely be keeping an eye on this one!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Sumo Nottingham was formed from whatever was left after Free Radical closed.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Isn't that game based on some indie game that was on Kickstarter years ago? I think the devs got absorbed by Sumo at some point and changed the game quite a bit. I think I remember it originally had some weapon mechanics.

Anyway, it looks very cool. Absolutely starved for games like that these days, and this looks like a good one. Maybe it can help fill the void left by Drift Stage.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Perhaps Flabyo can correct me on this if I'm wrong, but I imagine that games with such a simple retro graphical style are significantly easier and less expensive to produce than others that go for a more photo-realistic aesthetic.

Given the arcade racing genre's abysmal track record in recent years, I think it would be clever for a smaller studio to ignore graphical fidelity and invest most of its resources in aspects that would elevate their game from the rest. I for one would be ecstatic to have another mechanically brilliant arcade racer that looks like an up-ressed PS1 title. Cautiously optimistic, bring it on.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It varies. For a racing game it’s definitely way less art time to build stylised cars instead of the crazy detail level of a Forza game.

But for things like, say, shovel knight, it’s not really much easier doing 2d sprite work than it is simple 3D models.
ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan »

So Baldur's Gate 3 looks like 'Divinity: Original Sin 3'. There's plenty of salty tears flowing tonight! I don't think the turn-based combat suits the franchise, ditto Larian's 3D worlds.

I had a great time with D:OS2 and was very excited to see their take on Baldur's Gate. But it looks quite disappointing as a sequel (looks great as a new Divinity title). It's almost identical to their previous game. However I'm sure it will be a success on its own terms. They certainly know how to make an RPG.