Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
HaloFandango

Re: Videogame News

Post by HaloFandango »

Flabyo wrote: June 18th, 2020, 8:06 pm I have a suspicion we won’t see a gathering like e3 again, everyone is going to learn what Nintendo already did, which is that a prerecorded fully managed presentation you have complete control over is far better at connecting to the modern streaming audience than a live show in front of an audience that can and usually does go wrong in some way.

Public shows like EGX, PAX and Gamescon will still happen, they’ve always been about more than just showing new games to the press. But these dedicated press only events were already feeling like an anachronism even before Covid lockdown.
Agreed, e3 will probably become more like PAX and the like, since that was the path they seemingly were going down with allowing more of the public in and having "Queuetainment" options. Nintendo and Sony had already bailed before covid.
shadowless_kick

Post by shadowless_kick »

this newly announced MVSX Home Arcade has me really intrigued: http://www.snkmvsx.com/index.html.

not terribly interested in the the KOF-heavy games list, but if it's built well and is relatively easy to add games to (it's got six buttons instead of SNK's usual four—it's begging to have Street Fighter added!), it could really scratch my itch for a home arcade solution. I prefer this bartop design to the Arcade 1Up-style shrunken cabinet.

I'm sure the DIY folks are scoffing at this, but I don't have the skills, tools or inclination toward taking on a project like that.

I wondering, though... given Arcade1Up's apparent success and now this, anybody think it's possible we could see other companies trying something similar? I mean, if Capcom went this route instead of ...what they did with their Home Arcade, I woulda been all over it. imagine if Cave made something like this filled with their shoot-em-ups...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It's really nice yeah, I'd be all over that if I had a spare $500.
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

shadowless_kick wrote: August 15th, 2020, 8:32 am this newly announced MVSX Home Arcade has me really intrigued: http://www.snkmvsx.com/index.html.

not terribly interested in the the KOF-heavy games list, but if it's built well and is relatively easy to add games to (it's got six buttons instead of SNK's usual four—it's begging to have Street Fighter added!), it could really scratch my itch for a home arcade solution. I prefer this bartop design to the Arcade 1Up-style shrunken cabinet.

I'm sure the DIY folks are scoffing at this, but I don't have the skills, tools or inclination toward taking on a project like that.

I wondering, though... given Arcade1Up's apparent success and now this, anybody think it's possible we could see other companies trying something similar? I mean, if Capcom went this route instead of ...what they did with their Home Arcade, I woulda been all over it. imagine if Cave made something like this filled with their shoot-em-ups...
WANT! Nice find! It looks very nice indeed with a great selection of titles! I'm always up for playing Metal Slug or The Last Blade. The website seems to still be in development, as their FAQ and Where To Buy sections seem quite sparse. I like the attention to detail with pixel perfect accuracy for the emulation and that they are including both the AES and MVS roms.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Indie devs Vlambeer closing down: https://www.polygon.com/2020/9/1/214093 ... x-break-up

Not due to money or anything, apparently. Seems like they just want to do other stuff. Quite an odd article though. :lol:
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Microsoft are saying there will be no next gen news at Tokyo Games Show later this month. That could mean because the price and date will have been revealed before then, but if it isn't then it's ridiculously late.

It doesn't bother me that they're leaving it this late as I won't be getting either at launch, in comparison to some reaction I've seen where people are saying it is killing their excitement for the new consoles, but even I have to admit that this is pretty bad.

Regarding killing the excitement, it's not really something I can relate to as for me it is only the games at launch and what the consoles could do better than the previous gen which dictates my excitement for a new machine.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

They might still delay it. Hard rumours are currently suggesting the PS5 is now delayed...
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I don't think they will, only because recent marketing materials from both still say Holiday 2020. Even just yesterday Xbox put out this tweet.

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1300569 ... 49889?s=20
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I can't figure out how to insert images on here so I will just post the link to the tweet instead, but I thought this was an interesting chart showing various consoles announcement to launch time periods.

https://twitter.com/DeekeTweak/status/1 ... 41632?s=20
macstat

Post by macstat »

https://www.destructoid.com/stories/pri ... 3136.phtml

Dun dun dun duuuuun (my rendition of end of level tune from Prince of Persia ;) )
SludgeWizard

Post by SludgeWizard »

macstat wrote: September 10th, 2020, 12:20 pm https://www.destructoid.com/stories/pri ... 3136.phtml

Dun dun dun duuuuun (my rendition of end of level tune from Prince of Persia ;) )
I loved this game back in the day, but I'm curious to see how it holds up in a post-Assassin's Creed world.
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/09/23 ... d-veterans I've been pretty lukewarm(and frankly, confused/disappointed) with blizzard lately.

Nothing's gonna happen anytime soon, but maybe it's a sign?

Something that's become more and more apparent to me is that talent travels even if the company name stays the same...
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

It just struck me - as a gamer for over three decades since the Sinclair ZX Spectrum, I have never played a single Blizzard (or Silicon & Synapse) game. Not one.

I have no idea why. Their games look great and have always appealed to me. Weird :roll:
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Not even Lost Vikings or Rock n’ Roll Racing?
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

Blizzard games are worth a shot, though their bowing to the chinese may be a turnoff for some at this point.

They (were) kings of iteration, taking an already done concept and going near perfection with it. Not exaggerating, I spent most most of my teenage years playing WCIII and WOW. Ah, reminiscing...
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The talent always travels. And sometimes even when things are going great, people like to change the scenery sometimes.

I mean, of the people who spent significant time working on Fable 1, less than half were still around when we started Fable 3.
Sinclair Gregstrum

ratsoalbion wrote: September 24th, 2020, 9:24 am Not even Lost Vikings or Rock n’ Roll Racing?
Not even Lost Vikings or Rock n' Roll Racing! :oops:

Vikings was a game I remember really liking the look of as a kid (would have been 10 or 11 when the first one came out), but at that age most games were acquired as birthday or Christmas presents specifically asked for, and it obviously never quite made the list! I do actually have it hacked onto my SNES Mini, so will hopefully get round to giving it a go one day...

Rock n' Roll Racing I vaguely remember from the games mags at the time, but that's about it!
Sinclair Gregstrum

Not 'news' as such, but there's a really interesting article on Eurogamer about the impending price hike for next gen games and it's potential impact on the market and gamers, particularly on PS5 where there isn't a genuine Game Pass equivalent.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020 ... ideo-games

I totally understand all the arguments for some form of price increase, and when you take into account inflation games have actually gotten cheaper etc, but the adjustment for next gen does seem extreme.

Just a few months ago I paid £45 on day one for The Last of Us Part II, a AAA Playstation exclusive. Demon Souls on PS5, a AAA Playstation exclusive (although a remake!), is £69.99 everywhere you look - a £25 price increase. You can argue that the RRP of TLOU 2 is actually more like £49.99 or maybe even £54.99, but that's still a £20 or £15 increase, and the fact is I could find the game easily at £45 day one without trying.

I'm looking forward to getting my PS5 in November and it's going to be an awesome machine with fantastic games. But it is going be expensive as hell to be a Playstation gamer this generation, and when Microsofts first party studios start dropping day one AAA games on Game Pass (sadly not for the next 6-12 months probably!), it's going to be interesting to see how the market reacts and whether Sony's traditional model is sustainable.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Turrican Anthology announced for PS4 and Switch: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.euroga ... nthologies

This looks cool, I remember enjoying the first two games on my old Amstrad. Hard as nails, though.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I've already ordered this:
https://store.strictlylimitedgames.com/ ... 4-preorder

Couldn't face springing for the €200 version though.