Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: Videogame News

Post by KSubzero1000 »

https://www.siliconera.com/langrisser-i ... lem-games/

Nice, the upcoming Langrisser remaster collection sounds right up my alley. Never had the opportunity to try the series before, so I'm really looking forward to this one. I'd love to sink my teeth into something unknown and substantial.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

So that's E3 cancelled then, what a shame. I'll miss it this year. I know a lot of people aren't really bothered about it any more but I still think it's the most exciting gaming time of the year.

I'm really hoping we don't lose Euro 2020 too :cry:
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Probably for the best given the circumstances, I would imagine.

I'll take some neatly edited 'Nintendo Direct'-type of virtual announcement events from all the major publishers and developers over the same old overbearing theatrics, forced applause and awkward stand-up comedy. Let's just watch some cool trailers / interviews and save everyone a lot of patience and money this time around.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Makes me realise we haven't had much virus chat on here, have we?

I dare not start it because I've been chatting to mates in Wuhan about this for months and plenty of people have told me I've been overreacting over the last eight weeks. I wish they were right and I take zero pleasure from my expectations materialising. I really hope everyone here is staying calm and preparing psychologically and resourcefully for some time at home.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 11th, 2020, 4:32 pm overbearing theatrics, forced applause and awkward stand-up comedy.
Haha, that's what I love about E3. The awkward complete disconnection from gamers most of these company execs seem to have. The misplaced 'celebrity' appearances, the expectation of applause and the realisation of a complete misjudgement. The hype and the trailers and the live shows, I love it all! I'm sure there's a certain amount of schadenfreude on my part, though.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 11th, 2020, 4:32 pm Probably for the best given the circumstances, I would imagine.

I'll take some neatly edited 'Nintendo Direct'-type of virtual announcement events from all the major publishers and developers over the same old overbearing theatrics, forced applause and awkward stand-up comedy. Let's just watch some cool trailers / interviews and save everyone a lot of patience and money this time around.
I am in wholehearted agreement.
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

Microsoft and Ubisoft have both said they will be doing digital events instead.

If these go well this could actually be the end of E3 for good.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I've heard that a few times, but I can't see one year off being the catalyst for cancelling the event permanently, even if the online video conferences prove popular.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It’s been in decline for yonks already though. I can see 2019’s turning out to be the final one.
James

Post by James »

Sadly, I agree (not about the decline - I think it's more or less the same great/shit sandwich as ever). I can, though, see the replacement digital events doing equally well, with far less stress and expense for those putting them together.

Though I actually think the final nail in the coffin is likely to be the ESA continuing to make mess after mess with regards to how they want to evolve the show. After all, Sony and Geoff Keighley and iam8bit all notably walked away from this year's E3 before it was cancelled, citing concerns with the new direction of the show. That's very telling to me.

For years now, I've taken a few days off work for E3; I love to speculate and stay up late and cringe and see what's coming next in the world of gaming. I know it's not for everyone, but it's become kinda a highlight of my year. For me it's very much the gaming Christmas that many describe it as.

Presumably the individual digital events will spread all of this out, and whilst I'm interested to see what MS and Ubi (and others) do, it does feel to me like this could well be the end of that intense one week cannonball run through gaming's future (good and... not so good).
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Speaking of Geoff Keighley, I'd be fine with his TGA remaining as the only live conference of its kind in the industry. He always comes across as a good dude (unless there's some drama I've missed?) and at least that show has something resembling an actual point besides blatant marketing.
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 11th, 2020, 10:11 pm He always comes across as a good dude (unless there's some drama I've missed?) and at least that show has something resembling an actual point besides blatant marketing.
Dunno, I still find him a little unsettling.

Can't quite put my finger on it, but he comes over a little too corporate and sterile at times.

It's hard to say that without feeling bad, as he's most likely a really normal dude that's cool but that's just the feeling I get at the moment.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

His dialect is like hes constantly reading a teleprompter
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Well. This is unexpected, but cool.

Blade Runner (the PC game) is being ported to consoles.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/03/ ... red_on_ps4
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Wow that is a surprise! Definitely pleased though, never played it all the way through and would like a non-PC opportunity to do so. And by non-PC I mean on console, not casually throwing around racial slurs.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

This is hardly news since it appears they announced it over a year ago, but I've only just heard of it and haven't seen anyone else talking about it here...

Hello Games are working on a new game: The Last Campfire.

It looks nice! https://thelastcampfiregame.com/
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 11th, 2020, 4:32 pm Probably for the best given the circumstances, I would imagine.

Yeah, this sounds rad.

Mind, I do enjoy the ‘stuff’ around E3 quite a bit too.

I really like the Giant Bomb interviews and fun things they do - that won’t really be a thing this year now.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

RE3 demo is available, with a little juggery-pikery:
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/new ... on-change/

Edit: you can tell I typed this on my phone. I’m leaving it though.
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

ratsoalbion wrote: March 18th, 2020, 12:42 pm RE3 demo is available, with a little juggery-pikery:
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/new ... on-change/

Edit: you can tell I typed this on my phone. I’m leaving it though.
Any info on if it's a one shot demo or has a timer would be greatly appreciated from anyone that plays it today.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Anyone watching the PS5 tech stream? This is hardcore tech theory! Not the console reveal I think people were hoping for!

Big caveats around backwards compatibility - "almost all of the top 100 PS4 games will be playable at launch" - and no mention at all of PS3, PS2, PS1. I never thought they'd do that, but I know loads of people wanted/expected it.