Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Stanshall

Re: Videogame News

Post by Stanshall »

Hehe, not at all. I actually thought you were joking about showing him!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Yeah, having started that bad movie podcast has made me aware I'm now doomed to watch these movies too. Sonic and that new Doom movie that's coming.

Detective Pikachu looks like it might be that one bright spot but Pokemon is so big, I have to remind myself it's even a video game movie.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I think the Sonic trailer looks OK for what it is. A children's film. Some of that raised a smile. Sonic looks awful, though.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

When I went to see Us at the cinema, I saw a Sonic poster just outside the door to that screening.

I'm glad I bought tickets to Us, because that Sonic movie looks pretty scary!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

‘It’s fine for a kids film’ is something I’ve seen a lot of people say. As if it’s ok for kids to get trash just cause they’re kids. It’s not, kids deserve to have good movies as much as adults do.

(Also, what kid even gives a flying about sonic in 2019 anyway?)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Sorry to pile on you Alex, but I have to agree with Flabyo on this one. People are too quick to dismiss poor quality entertainment products aimed at children under the pretense that they won't notice if it's dumb or shoddy. But most kids can tell the difference between engaging and idiotic movies, or between old-school Legos and cheap toys that instantly fall apart. And kids are especially vulnerable to tailor-made garbage because it's not like they can "vote with their wallet", after all.

A good kid movie or game is enjoyable even as a grown-up. That's why old Disney classics and Mario are so respected. I prefer the term "family-friendly", personally. It implies that the product doesn't contain any explicit content that would be unsuitable for children but also that adults can get something out of it as well.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Here’s hoping that it’s “so bad it’s good”, because at the moment its... so puzzling...

I mean... Jesus... the design choices... at least Jim Carrey is being well fed by the scenery he’s chewing.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Ultra Ultra, a studio which grew out of ex-Hitman devs, has folded. They released Echo, a stealth game which had some really clever ideas, and whose main hook was the AI 'learning' from your own actions. So for example using the gun was extremely dangerous, as the next time the simulation reset, all the enemies knew how to use a gun :lol:

It was a real slog at times too, of course, but was pretty great in concept and execution. The game remains on sale. A level playthrough with developer commentary if anyone's interested:

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: May 8th, 2019, 10:51 am It was a real slog at times too, of course, but was pretty great in concept and execution. The game remains on sale.
I had never even heard of it! Looks interesting, though. The PS4 version at least isn't on sale, but I'll keep an eye out in the future. Thanks for the heads-up. :)
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Sorry, badly phrased on my end! I meant, the game remains for sale at the usual outlets, it hasn't disappeared or anything. And yes, I would advise waiting for a sale - it should be noted that the game is very stealth-focused indeed, and is not the action-packed proposition seen in the video, for the most part. Mostly you are killing things when something goes badly wrong, and you are very fragile.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Flabyo wrote: May 1st, 2019, 8:16 am ‘It’s fine for a kids film’ is something I’ve seen a lot of people say. As if it’s ok for kids to get trash just cause they’re kids. It’s not, kids deserve to have good movies as much as adults do.

(Also, what kid even gives a flying about sonic in 2019 anyway?)
KSubzero1000 wrote: May 1st, 2019, 9:14 am Sorry to pile on you Alex, but I have to agree with Flabyo on this one. People are too quick to dismiss poor quality entertainment products aimed at children under the pretense that they won't notice if it's dumb or shoddy.
I mean yeah, you're both right. I wasn't really defending it, it looks pretty rubbish. I've had to sit through a lot of absolute unmitigated guff over the last couple of years, and comparably didn't think this Sonic movie seemed the worst thing ever.
Flabyo wrote: May 1st, 2019, 8:16 am(Also, what kid even gives a flying about sonic in 2019 anyway?)
Probably none, but kids get in to characters after they've seen movies rather than go to see movies because of the characters. If the movie does well, expect a huge resurgence of Sonic. Lunch boxes, drinks bottles, toys, more films. Nobody gave a shit about Woody and Buzz until they'd seen Toy Story.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: May 8th, 2019, 11:58 am I would advise waiting for a sale - it should be noted that the game is very stealth-focused indeed, and is not the action-packed proposition seen in the video, for the most part. Mostly you are killing things when something goes badly wrong, and you are very fragile.
The game not being too action-driven is a plus in my eyes - I like my stealth games to be stealthy, my tragedies to be heart-wrenching, and my tea to taste like tea (sorry, dear Brits :P ).

I do wonder how likely it is for the game to go on sale in the future, considering how it doesn't appear to have ever been part of any sale in the 18 months it's been out, and with the studio now being out of the picture I don't know who would even arrange this sort of thing behind the scenes.

...Maybe I'll just *gasp* buy it at full price someday? :o
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

KSubzero1000 wrote: May 8th, 2019, 7:39 pm I do wonder how likely it is for the game to go on sale in the future, considering how it doesn't appear to have ever been part of any sale in the 18 months it's been out, and with the studio now being out of the picture I don't know who would even arrange this sort of thing behind the scenes.
Hmm, good point. I don't think I've ever seen it on sale (on PSN at least) which is odd and maybe a decision they made (or I guess there could be all kinds of stuff going on behind the scenes, who knows?) .

I've been thinking about it since yesterday (and looked up my old comments here) and it's an easier game to regard with rose-tinted glasses than most. I saw on another site a description of it it as "the closest I’ve seen to Ian M Banks’s sci-fi – especially the Culture series – represented in videogame form," and I think that holds up reasonably well as far as I've read any of those books. The environments were great but a bit one-note (not a huge amount of variation if I remember correctly) and were a bit too long for me personally - you have, essentially one second chance and then have to start from the beginning of the level.

Also, the first 20-30 minutes are just walking through corridors with "exposition!"; I know how you love that ;) But it is very well done.

It's definitely an interesting one though, it got me thinking about it a lot yesterday and looking up a few videos on YouTube. Well worth having a look at in a sale.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: May 9th, 2019, 7:07 am Also, the first 20-30 minutes are just walking through corridors with "exposition!"; I know how you love that ;)
Sold.

I also started watching Prey (2017) recently, so if rancorous blame is gonna start flying in your direction any time soon, then I might as well go all in. :P
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

KSubzero1000 wrote: May 9th, 2019, 7:30 am I also started watching Prey (2017) recently, so if rancorous blame is gonna start flying in your direction any time soon, then I might as well go all in. :P
If there is one piece of advice I'd give for Prey (as it's a little ornery at the start), it's not to sweat the small stuff. There are a bunch of annoying, pesky enemies scurrying around, and you're not well-equipped to deal with them with the starting wrench, which is awful. Just chill and don't get too worked up at the start.

Oh, also there are some early enemies that you are probably not equipped for, so you need to remember to run away at times. The game improves (as do all games) when you get the shotgun.

See, I am optimistic that the game is going to go well for you! :mrgreen: <-
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Sad news about the closure of Ultra Ultra.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... -shut-down

Echo is a game I've had on my 'to buy' list for a long time but never got round to picking up. It's still available for purchase on PS4, Steam and GOG, so will get on to it now in case it adds a few more pennies to the pockets of those now out of work.

Clearly a very talented bunch so hopefully everyone lands on their feet at another studio soon!
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Some good stuff in the Nintendo eshop sale. All the Steamworld Games are pretty cheap.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

This is very clever...

Seems Days Gone is a distant Syphon Filter sequel?!

https://twitter.com/corybarlog/status/1 ... 26624?s=19
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

seansthomas wrote: May 10th, 2019, 7:17 am This is very clever...

Seems Days Gone is a distant Syphon Filter sequel?!

https://twitter.com/corybarlog/status/1 ... 26624?s=19
Holy Moly! That’s pretty crazy
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

It looks like things haven't been going very well for the ESA of late. Sounds like the organisation is in a bit of a mess, thanks to the ex-president not being very good at his job. This piece is a little bit outdated, as I found it through a news story about a new president taking the position, but it still offers relevant insight. It sheds some light on to why this coming E3 seems unusually decentralised. While the show has been needing to change for a while, it sounds like this recent shift has perhaps come from the companies that usually take part losing faith in the ESA somewhat. But with this president being replaced now, hopefully that sounds like things will improve in future. Although I'm not expecting too much. Those sorts of positions attract a certain type of person after all.

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/feature ... 203211280/