Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
User avatar
Joshihatsumitsu
Member
Posts: 1021
Joined: September 12th, 2016, 3:55 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Videogame News

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » August 8th, 2018, 8:38 am

I don't go to IGN expecting plagiarism; I go to IGN for my fix of hyperbole!

Not a fan of IGN either way... plagiarism is bad, but my journalistic expectations in regards to IGN are already pretty low...

Just my opinion... there are probably very professional people who work there, but yeah...

User avatar
Suits
Member
Posts: 2769
Joined: October 28th, 2015, 3:25 pm
Location: Chelmsford, UK

Re: Videogame News

Post by Suits » August 8th, 2018, 9:13 am

Filip Muicen fired it seems.

I suppose that was the only outcome in this regard.

IGN have certainly had their fair share of issues in the past few years Kallie Plagge etc...

User avatar
Alex79uk
Member
Posts: 5731
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 12:36 pm
Location: Walsall, UK.
Contact:

Re: Videogame News

Post by Alex79uk » August 8th, 2018, 11:35 am

Joshihatsumitsu wrote:
August 8th, 2018, 8:38 am
I don't go to IGN expecting plagiarism; I go to IGN for my fix of hyperbole!

Not a fan of IGN either way... plagiarism is bad, but my journalistic expectations in regards to IGN are already pretty low...

Just my opinion... there are probably very professional people who work there, but yeah...
I dunno, I like it, it's generally the first place I'll look for a review on the rare occasion I read them. (I very rarely read a review for a game I haven't already started!)

I think it's the podcasts I enjoy more then just kind of drift towards the site when I'm looking for info. I like their best of lists they do from time to time, too.

User avatar
Joshihatsumitsu
Member
Posts: 1021
Joined: September 12th, 2016, 3:55 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Videogame News

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » August 8th, 2018, 11:44 am

There's some inherit value in the site, and if you were a journalist starting out then working at IGN would be great experience, but yeah... to each there own I guess. It's not fair to bag out the whole organisation for the failings of a few bad apples.

User avatar
KSubzero1000
Member
Posts: 3015
Joined: August 26th, 2015, 9:56 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Videogame News

Post by KSubzero1000 » August 8th, 2018, 1:30 pm

Suits wrote:
August 8th, 2018, 9:13 am
Filip Muicen fired it seems.

I suppose that was the only outcome in this regard.
Dunno, I think giving said writer a salary cut and donating the majority of the article's revenue to the youtuber in question for six months would have been a better and more productive solution. As it stands now, everyone loses. Again. IGN loses even more credibility, Miucin is being hounded down on twitter, and the youtuber is only getting a hokey PR "apology" for his troubles.

Don't get me wrong: plagiarism is a very real issue, especially for writers and comedians and the like. I know people who have been affected by it, and it sucks. People shouldn't do it, and it shouldn't be brushed under the table when discovered. But I can also empathize with a newly hired reviewer buckling under the intense pressure of his newfound workload and hastily copying from a video.

I don't know how controversial this may be, but I feel like this trend of instantly firing people as soon as an infraction has been made public has more to do with generating positive PR / damage control than with fostering a healthy work environment. And I would prefer to see internet furor being directed at high-impact, high-ranking criminals rather than easy and soon-to-be-obsolete targets like Miucin. There is a discrepancy at play here that doesn't sit right with me.


PS: I realize I'm also giving the writer the benefit of the doubt here. It's entirely possible he's a lazy con artist who's done this before and was planning on doing it again, but eh.

User avatar
Suits
Member
Posts: 2769
Joined: October 28th, 2015, 3:25 pm
Location: Chelmsford, UK

Re: Videogame News

Post by Suits » August 8th, 2018, 2:29 pm

KSubzero1000 wrote:
August 8th, 2018, 1:30 pm
Suits wrote:
August 8th, 2018, 9:13 am
Filip Muicen fired it seems.

I suppose that was the only outcome in this regard.
Dunno, I think giving said writer a salary cut and donating the majority of the article's revenue to the youtuber in question for six months would have been a better and more productive solution. As it stands now, everyone loses. Again. IGN loses even more credibility, Miucin is being hounded down on twitter, and the youtuber is only getting a hokey PR "apology" for his troubles.

Don't get me wrong: plagiarism is a very real issue, especially for writers and comedians and the like. I know people who have been affected by it, and it sucks. People shouldn't do it, and it shouldn't be brushed under the table when discovered. But I can also empathize with a newly hired reviewer buckling under the intense pressure of his newfound workload and hastily copying from a video.

I don't know how controversial this may be, but I feel like this trend of instantly firing people as soon as an infraction has been made public has more to do with generating positive PR / damage control than with fostering a healthy work environment. And I would prefer to see internet furor being directed at high-impact, high-ranking criminals rather than easy and soon-to-be-obsolete targets like Miucin. There is a discrepancy at play here that doesn't sit right with me.


PS: I realize I'm also giving the writer the benefit of the doubt here. It's entirely possible he's a lazy con artist who's done this before and was planning on doing it again, but eh.
I've been thinking about and talking about this a lot with Kayleigh, as I feel generally shocked by this, as I've listened to every NVC FM has done since he joined IGN - so I kinda feel hurt by this, as weird as it might sound.

I say the only outcome was for him to be fired, not because I though that was right but by the absolute calamity that I saw unfold on twitter and IGN more than likely felt like their hand was forced, which bing the establishment that they are i I can understand this reaction concerning plagiarism in the content that they are putting their name too.

I also think that there may well be more to this than meets the eye - on both fronts.

FM was clearly struggling with the roll (Podcast/Video host) I feel as Nintendo Editor at IGN, he was fresh in as a YT amateur and was clearly blown away by it all. Even a year later he still seemed very often like a rabbit in the headlights and struggled greatly with the other personalities and powerful characters at IGN, he was getting better as a host but it never seemed natural for him - in my opinion.

Now, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he did reach out for help on a number of occasions and people have helped him along, the others at IGN don't seem to be the type to let someone fail and I'm sure would have been there for him should he need help.

Which makes me wonder why on earth did he do this, it doesn't make sense.

The IGN statement says that the writer involved in the review has been fired, not FM. Look into that how you will but why not say his name - everyone knows its him.

Unless it wasn't him that reviewed it ? Maybe someone stepped in and helped ?

I wonder if more will come out about this and it'll be an interesting show on Friday.

Also, as I understand it, IGN have been in contact with Boomstick Gaming and had discussions about compensation.

Very much car crash TV at the moment.

User avatar
Suits
Member
Posts: 2769
Joined: October 28th, 2015, 3:25 pm
Location: Chelmsford, UK

Re: Videogame News

Post by Suits » August 10th, 2018, 8:11 am

Just on this again, if anyone is interested, but Brian Altano (IGN Chief Editor - who likely would have been the one to deal with teh situation first hand as Peer is out of the county in Japan) Tweeted this yesterday;

Thing that people don’t hear enough:

If you’re overwhelmed with something you’re doing, don’t hesitate to reach out for help.

Ask a friend/colleague/family member and just say “Hey, this is tough and I need assistance.”

There’s no shame in that. Just ask. You’ll feel better.

User avatar
Alex79uk
Member
Posts: 5731
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 12:36 pm
Location: Walsall, UK.
Contact:

Re: Videogame News

Post by Alex79uk » August 10th, 2018, 10:51 am

Vita hacking?

User avatar
KSubzero1000
Member
Posts: 3015
Joined: August 26th, 2015, 9:56 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Videogame News

Post by KSubzero1000 » August 10th, 2018, 1:18 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
August 10th, 2018, 10:51 am
Vita hacking?
...Could you go into a tiny bit more detail, perhaps?

User avatar
Alex79uk
Member
Posts: 5731
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 12:36 pm
Location: Walsall, UK.
Contact:

Re: Videogame News

Post by Alex79uk » August 10th, 2018, 1:46 pm

KSubzero1000 wrote:
August 10th, 2018, 1:18 pm
Alex79uk wrote:
August 10th, 2018, 10:51 am
Vita hacking?
...Could you go into a tiny bit more detail, perhaps?
Haha I don't know what happened there! The forum went a bit haywire and I wrote a post about Vita hacking and Flabyo said he'd put it on mute on Twitter, but I don't think he was actually replying to me but I didn't see any other posts!

User avatar
Flabyo
Member
Posts: 3263
Joined: August 8th, 2013, 8:46 am
Location: Guildford

Re: Videogame News

Post by Flabyo » August 10th, 2018, 6:31 pm

That was reply to something weeks ago...

User avatar
KSubzero1000
Member
Posts: 3015
Joined: August 26th, 2015, 9:56 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Videogame News

Post by KSubzero1000 » August 13th, 2018, 6:48 am

Today in Capcom being Capcom:

Image
(Approx. $680.00 USD)

Meanwhile, for $249.00 USD...

:roll:

User avatar
Sinclair Gregstrum
Member
Posts: 723
Joined: April 4th, 2013, 4:09 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: Videogame News

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum » August 20th, 2018, 2:16 pm

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... d-a-sequel

This makes me sad. I thought Velocity 2X was fantastic and played it to completion. But then I downloaded on PS Plus so am clearly part of the problem. Maybe I'll pick up on Switch to lend them a hand, as I'd definitely buy a sequel day one!

User avatar
Alex79uk
Member
Posts: 5731
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 12:36 pm
Location: Walsall, UK.
Contact:

Re: Videogame News

Post by Alex79uk » August 20th, 2018, 5:32 pm

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 2:16 pm
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... d-a-sequel

This makes me sad. I thought Velocity 2X was fantastic and played it to completion. But then I downloaded on PS Plus so am clearly part of the problem.
It was released on PS+. You had no opportunity to purchase it for PS4/Vita before it was handed to you for free, you are most definitely not part of the problem.

User avatar
DomsBeard
Member
Posts: 3313
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 5:03 pm
Location: Doms Chin

Re: Videogame News

Post by DomsBeard » August 20th, 2018, 7:48 pm

I presume they get some kind of income from ps+?

User avatar
ratsoalbion
Admin
Posts: 7147
Joined: August 28th, 2012, 9:41 am
Location: Brighton, England
Contact:

Re: Videogame News

Post by ratsoalbion » August 20th, 2018, 7:54 pm

They negotiate and agree a one-off fee.

User avatar
Flabyo
Member
Posts: 3263
Joined: August 8th, 2013, 8:46 am
Location: Guildford

Re: Videogame News

Post by Flabyo » August 20th, 2018, 10:23 pm

From what I’ve been hearing those who decided to go on PS+ or Games with Gold at launch have had pretty mixed results. For games with a strong long tail of consumables and dlc like Rocket League it’s been great, for small indie single player titles, not so much. Probably not helped by many of them probably not knowing how much they should actually be asking for.

It seems like the best strategy is to wait about a year, then hope the word of mouth of a month ‘free’ gets you some extra sales afterwards. For the big AAA companies it’s just advertising really, the games they put up are usually ones they’re not seeing significant sales from now anyway.

(Take for example Forza Horizon 2 which is up this month, it’s clear that MS have done that to try and get a last spike of DLC sales from it before they retire it from the store in September.)

User avatar
Alex79uk
Member
Posts: 5731
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 12:36 pm
Location: Walsall, UK.
Contact:

Re: Videogame News

Post by Alex79uk » August 21st, 2018, 7:13 am

Yeah and quite often you'll see older games in a series come up just before a new one is released (Forza Horizon also, and the David Cage games on PS+ in the lead up to Detroit etc)

User avatar
Flabyo
Member
Posts: 3263
Joined: August 8th, 2013, 8:46 am
Location: Guildford

Re: Videogame News

Post by Flabyo » August 21st, 2018, 7:25 am

For Honor is on Games with Gold this month primarily becauase they’ve got a major new piece of DLC that adds a whole new faction to the game due in a month or so, and so it doesn’t hurt to get a spike of new players in beforehand.

I’d actually expect Ubi to get that on PS+ as well before then, assuming there isn’t some sort of ‘if you’ve done gwg you can’t do ps+! Clause in the contracts)

User avatar
Chopper
Member
Posts: 1406
Joined: April 16th, 2013, 6:35 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Videogame News

Post by Chopper » August 21st, 2018, 11:35 am

Stellaris is coming to consoles. It has quite a lot of small text, so I dunno how well it'll work for couch gaming.

Also, the trailers for Total War Three Kingdoms seem to indicate that it is coming to console (at least, they are being shown on PS sites like Sixthaxis). I haven't been able to verify that though.

Interesting times.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests