Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
User avatar
ratsoalbion
Admin
Posts: 6914
Joined: August 28th, 2012, 7:41 am
Location: Brighton, England
Contact:

Re: Videogame News

Post by ratsoalbion » September 21st, 2018, 8:39 pm


User avatar
Simonsloth
Member
Posts: 962
Joined: November 22nd, 2017, 6:17 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Videogame News

Post by Simonsloth » September 21st, 2018, 10:02 pm

I’m pretty saddened by this. Although my affection for them has lessened since the days they brought sam n max back from the dead I still thought they were a great team. As a whole I found every one of their games offered me something different and I always looked forward to what they did next.

As a casual observer I thought they were one of the more solid studios and didn’t think for a minute they would be closing their doors or winding down in this way. I’m really shocked.

User avatar
KSubzero1000
Member
Posts: 2450
Joined: August 26th, 2015, 7:56 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Videogame News

Post by KSubzero1000 » September 22nd, 2018, 1:21 pm

Just in case someone would like to catch up on some of the greatest visual novels ever made.

Image

User avatar
Alex79uk
Member
Posts: 4959
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 10:36 am
Location: Redditch, UK.
Contact:

Re: Videogame News

Post by Alex79uk » September 22nd, 2018, 6:46 pm

I really didn't get on with that series. I found the courtroom stuff interesting, but the gameplay in between just bored me to tears. I really wanted to love it but found myself almost skipping text as quick as I could in the latter cases!

User avatar
Stanshall
Member
Posts: 1528
Joined: January 31st, 2016, 5:45 am

Re: Videogame News

Post by Stanshall » September 22nd, 2018, 7:56 pm

Some of my fondest DS memories were playing the first game on a night bus home after work when I lived in China, freezing my bollocks off and sleeping in two pairs of jeans and a hat. The otherworldly goofy naivety was a blessed source of comfort during those dark, dreary and bitterly cold days, along with rice wine.

User avatar
KSubzero1000
Member
Posts: 2450
Joined: August 26th, 2015, 7:56 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Videogame News

Post by KSubzero1000 » September 26th, 2018, 8:29 am



Dope.

User avatar
Suits
Member
Posts: 2315
Joined: October 28th, 2015, 2:25 pm
Location: Chelmsford, UK

Re: Videogame News

Post by Suits » September 26th, 2018, 8:41 am

Stanshall wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 7:56 pm
Some of my fondest DS memories were playing the first game on a night bus home after work when I lived in China, freezing my bollocks off and sleeping in two pairs of jeans and a hat. The otherworldly goofy naivety was a blessed source of comfort during those dark, dreary and bitterly cold days, along with rice wine.
Huh, that sounds like a trying time of life mate.

There’s a lot to be said about how games can form such an escapism that seemingly trying times can be looked back on fondly.

User avatar
ratsoalbion
Admin
Posts: 6914
Joined: August 28th, 2012, 7:41 am
Location: Brighton, England
Contact:

Re: Videogame News

Post by ratsoalbion » September 26th, 2018, 12:59 pm

Sony have capitulated. There will be all format cross platform play, starting with Fortnite, but expect the floodgates to open very quickly.

User avatar
Suits
Member
Posts: 2315
Joined: October 28th, 2015, 2:25 pm
Location: Chelmsford, UK

Re: Videogame News

Post by Suits » September 26th, 2018, 1:06 pm

What a time to be alive.

User avatar
SnakeyDave
Member
Posts: 47
Joined: September 10th, 2012, 12:45 pm

Re: Videogame News

Post by SnakeyDave » September 26th, 2018, 2:45 pm

Getting to play symphony of the night again is always good news- but I can't be the only one who didn't instantly think "that's nice, now put it on switch."

Probably will buy- never played Rondo of blood.

User avatar
Stanshall
Member
Posts: 1528
Joined: January 31st, 2016, 5:45 am

Re: Videogame News

Post by Stanshall » September 26th, 2018, 4:59 pm

Suits wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 8:41 am
Stanshall wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 7:56 pm
Some of my fondest DS memories were playing the first game on a night bus home after work when I lived in China, freezing my bollocks off and sleeping in two pairs of jeans and a hat. The otherworldly goofy naivety was a blessed source of comfort during those dark, dreary and bitterly cold days, along with rice wine.
Huh, that sounds like a trying time of life mate.

There’s a lot to be said about how games can form such an escapism that seemingly trying times can be looked back on fondly.
It might sound grim but it was actually one of the greatest times of my life! Haha. I'd just moved into a new house on the outskirts of the city (the complex was so new there was no gas switched on yet, hence the cold!) and by the time spring came around it was one of the happiest, best places I've ever lived. The winters were brutal, though, minus ten. And summers could get up to forty! It balanced out :D

User avatar
Alex79uk
Member
Posts: 4959
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 10:36 am
Location: Redditch, UK.
Contact:

Re: Videogame News

Post by Alex79uk » September 26th, 2018, 7:07 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 12:59 pm
Sony have capitulated. There will be all format cross platform play, starting with Fortnite, but expect the floodgates to open very quickly.
Ah that is genuinely awesome! I can now play Fortnite with my eldest whilst he's at his mum's! We've been lamenting the fact there is no cross platform play with him on Xbox and me on PS4. I don't even really like Fortnite but this has really pleased me.

User avatar
Suits
Member
Posts: 2315
Joined: October 28th, 2015, 2:25 pm
Location: Chelmsford, UK

Re: Videogame News

Post by Suits » September 26th, 2018, 7:53 pm

Stanshall wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 4:59 pm
It might sound grim but it was actually one of the greatest times of my life!
Hahahah, good to hear it man :) .

User avatar
ratsoalbion
Admin
Posts: 6914
Joined: August 28th, 2012, 7:41 am
Location: Brighton, England
Contact:

Re: Videogame News

Post by ratsoalbion » September 27th, 2018, 11:23 am


User avatar
Alex79uk
Member
Posts: 4959
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 10:36 am
Location: Redditch, UK.
Contact:

Re: Videogame News

Post by Alex79uk » September 27th, 2018, 12:28 pm

I know it's going back a couple of pages, but I can't believe about Telltale. I mean they seemed so safe, their games sold well, were almost all big hits, critically speaking, what on earth went wrong? Gutted we'll not see The Wolf Among Us season 2, that was by far my favorite. There was so much untapped potential for games they could have made too. What a bloody shame :(

User avatar
Flabyo
Member
Posts: 2981
Joined: August 8th, 2013, 6:46 am
Location: Guildford

Re: Videogame News

Post by Flabyo » September 27th, 2018, 12:58 pm

The ‘sold well’ part appears to be the bit that wasn’t actually true, according to what I’ve heard anyway.

User avatar
Suits
Member
Posts: 2315
Joined: October 28th, 2015, 2:25 pm
Location: Chelmsford, UK

Re: Videogame News

Post by Suits » September 27th, 2018, 12:58 pm

They were chatting on GB that only the first series of TWD actually made them any money.

The rest of the business was strung so tightly, just living from contract to contract.

It only takes one contract to go belly up and you’ve suddenly got yourself into a serious problem.

Borrowing from Pete to pay Paul scenario.

User avatar
DomsBeard
Member
Posts: 3158
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 3:03 pm
Location: Doms Chin

Re: Videogame News

Post by DomsBeard » September 27th, 2018, 1:12 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 12:28 pm
I know it's going back a couple of pages, but I can't believe about Telltale. I mean they seemed so safe, their games sold well, were almost all big hits, critically speaking, what on earth went wrong? Gutted we'll not see The Wolf Among Us season 2, that was by far my favorite. There was so much untapped potential for games they could have made too. What a bloody shame :(
To be honest Alex after season one of The Walking Dead I didn't see many people on my friends lists playing any of the others. I saw people say how funny Tales Of The Borderlands was yet none of them had actually played it. I have bought Batman, The Wolf Among Us, Tales Of The Borderlands, Guardians Of The Galaxy as well as every iteration of The Walking Dead (even the awful Michonne). Maybe some of the licences were expensive?, maybe they over saturated the market?. We will never know what went wrong. Hope all these people get what they are owed.

The one surprise for me was Batman, I was surprised there was not more of a talk and buzz about it as it turned everything you think you know about Batman on its head and was a highlight outside of The Walking Dead.

User avatar
ratsoalbion
Admin
Posts: 6914
Joined: August 28th, 2012, 7:41 am
Location: Brighton, England
Contact:

Re: Videogame News

Post by ratsoalbion » September 27th, 2018, 1:47 pm

Similar story; I bought the season passes of both TWD 1 and 2 on PS3 (and completed them), yet I have almost all of the rest of Telltale’s back catalogue (untouched) through GWG and PS+.

Even though they receive some remuneration from those deals, that’s not a sustainable business model.

User avatar
Chopper
Member
Posts: 1102
Joined: April 16th, 2013, 4:35 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Videogame News

Post by Chopper » September 27th, 2018, 2:24 pm

DomsBeard wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 1:12 pm
To be honest Alex after season one of The Walking Dead I didn't see many people on my friends lists playing any of the others.
That's interesting, I don't recall seeing many friends playing them either but I just assumed it was because I played the complete editions later when they came out. I'd love to check this, I don't think PSN has any handy way of checking game ownership between friends.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests