Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Videogame News

Post by ratsoalbion » September 27th, 2018, 2:57 pm

If you use ‘compare Trophies’ you can see who has what games (on a one at a time basis).

Chopper

Post by Chopper » September 27th, 2018, 2:59 pm

Yeah, that's not really gonna work, cheers though :P

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » September 27th, 2018, 3:16 pm

Chopper wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 2:24 pm
DomsBeard wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 1:12 pm
To be honest Alex after season one of The Walking Dead I didn't see many people on my friends lists playing any of the others.
That's interesting, I don't recall seeing many friends playing them either but I just assumed it was because I played the complete editions later when they came out. I'd love to check this, I don't think PSN has any handy way of checking game ownership between friends.
It doesn't necessarily denote ownership as such, but you can easily compare trophies and bring up a list of everything any of your friends have played.

And yeah, aside from the first two seasons of TWD and season one of TWAU (which for all three of those, I double dipped on both PS3 and Vita oddly enough) all the other Telltale games I own were from PS+.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » September 27th, 2018, 3:17 pm

While it’s not that representative of the whole player base, because the site skews towards the stat and achievement hunting players, TrueAchievements ‘players registered on our site that have started these games’ lists them thusly: (ignore the scale of the numbers, look at the trend)

Walking dead season 1 on XBO: 115,387
Walking dead season 2 on XBO: 64,325
Walking dead season 3 on XBO: 24,757

Wolf Among Us on XBO: 76,360
Takes from the Borderlands on XBO: 79,369
Game of Thrones on XBO: 68,316
Guardians of the Galaxy in XBO: 16,271

For comparison, so you can judge the scale:
Halo 5: 193,749

So they’ve done ok numbers wise, but most of those have had a games with gold or heavy discounting bump at some point. Season 3 of walking dead hasn’t, nor has guardians of the galaxy, and it shows.

Suits

Post by Suits » September 27th, 2018, 5:27 pm

Wow. Those numbers really tell a tale.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » September 27th, 2018, 5:28 pm

Suits wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 5:27 pm
Wow. Those numbers really tell a tale.
...Seriously? :lol:

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » September 27th, 2018, 5:55 pm

I suppose my feeling is pretty MOR: I feel for those who lost their jobs at such short notice, after unpaid overtime. I didn't like the games one bit and felt they took the piss by stretching that engine over so many licences, and they oversaturated their own sliver of the market through greed and/or mismanagement. I'm not sure where fans can possibly turn to, though. There don't seem to be many notable games in the sub-genre. Are the Until Dawn team working on anything?

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » September 28th, 2018, 3:34 am

Never bought any of the games, don't care for The Walking Dead in any capacity (which I say as a horror movie fan), but the way it was handled was super-shitty. To outright steal a quote from this Waypoint article:

"Shit happens, but it didn’t have to happen this way, and it’s a failure of imagination to suggest there isn’t a world where companies can be run in a way that ensures their workers are given a chance to breathe before finding another opportunity. Telltale afforded none of this, and it's important we recognize how irresponsible this is."

Chopper

Post by Chopper » September 28th, 2018, 5:41 am

Flabyo wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 3:17 pm
While it’s not that representative of the whole player base, because the site skews towards the stat and achievement hunting players, TrueAchievements ‘players registered on our site that have started these games’ lists them thusly: (ignore the scale of the numbers, look at the trend)

Walking dead season 1 on XBO: 115,387
Walking dead season 2 on XBO: 64,325
Walking dead season 3 on XBO: 24,757

Wolf Among Us on XBO: 76,360
Takes from the Borderlands on XBO: 79,369
Game of Thrones on XBO: 68,316
Guardians of the Galaxy in XBO: 16,271

For comparison, so you can judge the scale:
Halo 5: 193,749

So they’ve done ok numbers wise, but most of those have had a games with gold or heavy discounting bump at some point. Season 3 of walking dead hasn’t, nor has guardians of the galaxy, and it shows.
Fascinating. Those are incredible (relative) numbers for Guardians. That was a cracking game.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » September 28th, 2018, 6:56 pm

The Soul Calibur 6 network test that’s running this weekend is sooo soooooo fun.

It’s always been my favourite fighting game series, but the last entry was really weak, dropping lots of characters in favour of new ones that never quite felt right.

This one is a pretty hefty throwback. It plays much more like the original Dreamcast game, with a few new flavours like the reversal edge stuff. It has super meter and stuff, but at least at the moment that stuff feels like it takes a back seat to the normal bread and butter play.

I’m already up to speed with my old main Sophitia, and people are already rage quitting. In an online beta where the ranks aren’t going to matter a jot.

Right now the serves appear to have choked, but while I was getting games it was pretty lag free for the most part.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » September 28th, 2018, 7:22 pm

Andi Hamilton wrote a very enthusiastic preview for Trusted Reviews:
https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/soul-calibur-6

Very much looking forward to this.

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » September 29th, 2018, 4:37 am

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the series but I've not played once since 2, to be honest.

I might have a dabble and see if it clicks with me but the way my patience is headed for genres which dont instantly click with me, I might just settle for Smash Bros as a game in which fighting is involved.

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » October 2nd, 2018, 11:41 am

The creator of Conkers Bad Fur Day have come up with a brand new game as an indie developer (Gory Detail) called

The Unlikely Legend of Rusty Pup.

Here's the trailer! It's out soon.

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » October 2nd, 2018, 5:44 pm

I'm not sure where else to ask this, but is there any way of listening to the Patreon podcasts through Sticther Radio? I remember that the pledge reward used to lead to a separate Cane and Rinse feed with a white thumbnail. Does that still exist?

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » October 3rd, 2018, 2:27 pm

I still don’t really know what this is... but it certainly looks interesting (a mix of live action sections, some simple combat gameplay...). It’s apparently going to be pretty cheap and the intent is you’ll play through it in one session.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » October 3rd, 2018, 2:28 pm

...Interesting. Does anyone have any experience with their previous game Gunlord?

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » October 3rd, 2018, 3:31 pm

I don’t, but what set alarm bells ringing about this to me was the fact that they spent several seconds showing basic options as a supposed selling point.

This doesn’t look great to me, but I always keep my eye on these types of games in case they manage to get the formula just right.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » October 3rd, 2018, 7:23 pm

Not sure whether I like the graphics or not. Looks very early to mid 90s style, which I usually love, but it looks almost too chunky.

I know what I mean!

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » October 4th, 2018, 8:50 am

Flabyo wrote:
October 3rd, 2018, 2:27 pm
I still don’t really know what this is... but it certainly looks interesting (a mix of live action sections, some simple combat gameplay...). It’s apparently going to be pretty cheap and the intent is you’ll play through it in one session.

It is $15 and discounted at launch so could be £12-£13 maybe?. I will be picking this up day one as it looks like my cup of tea.

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle » October 4th, 2018, 11:13 am

The cheaper price and shorter length certainly makes that game a lot more appealing. It looks like a very strange mess of a game, but one that for some reason seems really intriguing. I kind of want to see it with my own eyes. And there's also the fact that it's from the people who made the original Prey, and of course the cancelled sequel. Always hoped for them to make some sort of comeback. And while this obviously isn't that, it adds a very entertaining twist to their story.

The length of the game also adds another layer of hilarity to the stories around this game when it was shown at whatever trade show it was last at. Apparently they brought a build of the entire game, and people were playing through huge chunks of it at the preview event, even getting trophies as they went through it. So I guess that means they likely played almost all of it already.