Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Videogame News

Post by ratsoalbion » July 18th, 2019, 10:10 am

That’s it, the machine has a revised chipset which is less hungry for juice as I understand it.

Suits

Post by Suits » July 18th, 2019, 10:31 am

KSubzero1000 wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 9:22 am
I don't know about that. I still keep several AA-powered devices in rotation, like my Wiimote, Wavebird, clock, laptop mouse, etc... I use a set of widely available rechargeable eneloop batteries with monstrous energy capacity for everything. I recharge them every few months and never have to worry about any sort of progressive battery decay.

It's honestly the closest thing to a timeless and sustainable solution I can think of. Not sure why you're so down on it :(
I use batteries in things like clocks and controllers as such, it’s just not my preferred way of powering my SP.

Primarily I use a SP for commuting and I’m at peace with the charging aspect of it, similar to my iPhone.

The idea of carrying around an extra set of batteries in my bag for my SP, then having to replace them as opposed to the charger I have at my desk just seems old fashioned.

I suppose I’m used too and respect the fact that I must charge my devices at power points now.

I get what your saying about rechargeable batteries but that’s not the solution I lean towards if I’m honest.

Yes, it’s a more efficient version of the Tegra chip in the Switch Lite, not a bigger battery - Digital Foundry.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » July 18th, 2019, 11:01 am

Yes, of course. I totally understand the advantages of built-in batteries as opposed to AA ones, so to each his own. But I think we might be talking past one another here. My original point was in response to this:
Suits wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 8:02 am
Generally I used to get what I wanted out of a game before the battery started to drain, now it’s a matter of getting more juice before I’m done.
I just think that if there was an official built-in function that would allow players to exchange their old battery pack for a new one every few years, it would alleviate the issue instead of pushing a new model onto them.

If there is no such function, then the life cycle of the battery becomes the life cycle of the device, which leads to aberrant consumer behavior. I've heard people talking about buying a new phone simply because their old phone's battery wasn't performing at its best any more even though there was nothing else wrong with the model itself. The only ones who benefit from this are the manufacturer and the others selling this stuff.

Suits

Post by Suits » July 18th, 2019, 11:22 am

KSubzero1000 wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 11:01 am
The only ones who benefit from this are the manufacturer and the others selling this stuff.
Exactly.

Nintendo sold a replacement, high capacity battery for the Wii U Gamepad.

It increased the battery life to silly levels, it was wonderful, I’d considered it almost essential unless you want to keep tethered to the charger.

There was even a recess in the battery bay shaped to house the larger battery. Which suggests that Nintendo always intended to sell consumers a bigger battery - which then opens another question, why would Nintendo ship with a small capacity batter ?? So people would buy a bigger one.

There’s a cynical side to all of this but as with most things I think companies are dammed if they do, dammed if they don’t.

I think having a similar option, or even having the battery more easily replaced on a Switch, would come at a detriment to the form factor of the console, which clearly Nintendo wanted to improve over the Fisher Price style Wii U Gamepad.

clippa

Post by clippa » July 18th, 2019, 12:10 pm

Yeah, things with normal batteries were great, you just bought a couple sets of decent rechargeable batteries and you were off. They could make it so that when you plugged your device in to charge, it just charged those rechargeable batteries.

I see what you're saying about the sp and stuff, it'd bugger up the form factor. I remember the battery lasting a fair amount on those though, so it was less of any issue.

I was on the bus the other day and they've got bloody charging ports so people can charge their phones.
On a bus! Proper Buck Rogers shit.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » July 18th, 2019, 1:10 pm

Put it this way, if you tried to run an iPad Pro on AAA’s you’d probably get about 10 minutes out of it. The cpu power on them is the rough equivalent of trying to run an Xbox 360 on batteries.

clippa

Post by clippa » July 18th, 2019, 2:46 pm

Ha! Yeah I didn't think of that. We've moved on a bit, you'd probably be shovelling 20 AA batteries into a switch or something, would you?

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » July 18th, 2019, 2:52 pm

...Well, I certainly wasn't suggesting that the Switch would be better off using AA batteries for this exact reason. I only brought up AAs to point out that the life cycles of older devices were completely independent from their energy sources.

I think the WiiU tablet solution was excellent and that Nintendo should have stuck with that.

Suits

Post by Suits » July 18th, 2019, 4:00 pm

KSubzero1000 wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 2:52 pm
I think the WiiU tablet solution was excellent and that Nintendo should have stuck with that.
Mate, it was a game changer for me.

In my old place when the Wii U was relevant, the way our front room was set up, was that there weren’t really any power points freely available to charge the Gamepad when not on its dock.

The extra large battery was a great upgrade for me in that specific situation and pretty much eliminated the problem.

From what I understand now, an official large capacity battery fetches a very pretty penny.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » July 18th, 2019, 5:15 pm

I love how it has taken the announcement of the new Switch to let people relax enough to criticise the old Switch - poor build quality, a bit uncomfortable for handheld gaming (!), battery issues (not sure on this, I just skimmed the conversation above). I hadn't heard of any of those things till now!

This is not a Nintendo-specific criticism, but tech-specific - everythings always golden till the next thing comes along :lol:

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » July 18th, 2019, 5:20 pm

Chopper wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 5:15 pm
poor build quality, a bit uncomfortable for handheld gaming (!), battery issues (not sure on this, I just skimmed the conversation above). I hadn't heard of any of those things till now!

This is probably the one video that made me decide to wait on a hardware revision. There have always been real criticisms of the console, especially in terms of its ergonomics and build quality, but I think the novelty factor and excellent software lineup drowned them out over time. People were just too excited to have another top Nintendo platform to play on.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » July 18th, 2019, 6:13 pm

Woah, that looks pretty awful. Admittedly I would probably know better if I was a handheld gamer, but all I'd heard were the docking station scratching issues. Good idea to wait really.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » July 18th, 2019, 6:18 pm

Three years after its initial launch, Overwatch is finally going to implement role queue.

I'm gutted. I think this is absolutely the right design choice for a multitude of reasons, especially for the massively positive effect it's bound to have on the social aspect of the game. But man, how I wish they would have thought of that a few years ago before I burned myself out on the game due to its rampant toxicity! :cry:

I have incredibly fond memories of the game itself and think it's a masterpiece in so many ways but I just can't see myself re-invest any significant amount of time into it at the moment.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » July 18th, 2019, 6:22 pm

Chopper wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 6:13 pm
Woah, that looks pretty awful. Admittedly I would probably know better if I was a handheld gamer, but all I'd heard were the docking station scratching issues. Good idea to wait really.
I’ve had no ‘issues’ worthy of the name with my 2017 Switch. The battery life is definitely not amazing and the kickstand (that I virtually never use) is well flimsy, but in all other respects I am completely happy with my console.

Of course improvements and revisions are welcome, but I don’t think you’ll find too many Switch owners who aren’t delighted with their machine.

clippa

Post by clippa » July 18th, 2019, 6:33 pm

I only use mine docked with the pro controller so if mines got any of the common issues, I wouldn't know about it.
I did have to buy a usb to ethernet convertor since the wifi on the thing was terrible!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » July 18th, 2019, 6:40 pm

I don't find it uncomfortable. My only gripe, and it's nothing to do with the Switch, is that when I'm lying in bed playing it, my hands go numb after a while but I think that's just bad circulation as I'm effectively holding them above my heart. I have to put it down and dangle my hands down for a few seconds then it's all back to normal for a bit :lol: I had the option of getting one for my birthday in May or waiting for a new model, and have not one regret of getting it earlier. Had two months of fantastic fun so far. I've also only used it docked once (aside from the odd go the kids have had on it, not trusting them with handheld mode just yet!)

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » July 18th, 2019, 6:42 pm

No wifi probs at all with mine.

Like you Alex, I too get numb hands from handheld gaming, especially when lying on my back.

clippa

Post by clippa » July 18th, 2019, 7:07 pm

My hands go numb when I'm playing on an arcade stick sometimes, I don't get it playing on mouse and keyboard or a pad, I'm a hypochondriac so i always stand bolt upright and scream "I'm having a strooooke!"
I think it's the way I sit with the side of my elbows against the arms of my chair, cutting off the blood, or just that you're holding your hand still in the same place for too long. Thinking about it, it only happens to my right hand, the one in charge of the buttons, you're mainly holding down the shoot button and rarely shifting from that position. Thinking about it, games like varstray where you're constantly switching to your special weapon and shit, I've never had it, so that's what it must be for me.
I'm a bit of a dollop as well like, so that's not gonna help.

Hmm, so the wifi is fine, is it? Mine is pants, even outside the dock, I had to take it downstairs and introduce it to the router personally just to download a small update for a game because it was going to take 3 weeks otherwise. I had it all over upstairs and downstairs, only the room with the router was any good. My wifi is decent for everything else.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » July 18th, 2019, 7:31 pm

Genuinely no Switch wifi problems for me but obviously it’s very hard to compare and contrast conditions. I have pretty fast internet and the dock sits a few feet from the hub, albeit behind a wall and around a corner.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » July 19th, 2019, 5:41 am

I have no idea if my switch has any of these issues. It hardly ever leaves the dock, I use the pro controller for everything, and it’s sat about 12 inches away from my wireless router.

If they made a version which was just a small block like the Apple TV that only worked via hdmi, I’d probably get it and sell the weird looking thing that is a docked switch.