Videogame Criticism

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Todinho

Re: Videogame Criticism

Post by Todinho »

Flabyo wrote:
Todinho wrote:I dont see how his opinion on that ruins or undermines the facts he analysed
Have a read of this.
I get what you're saying man I just dont agree that just because a guy has a opinion that you disagree with in one point his entire argument is invalid,what I found most interesting in that article is how men and women tend to like different genres in different ways and that perhaps the most invisible kind of sexism is when the games media tends to only focus on games that appeals to men instead of women and then complain that we need more women to get into games,which honestly explains alot of my questions in reguards to many websites and Forums that no matter how progressive they are are still comprised by a clear male majority,maybe the problem is that these place are just not talking about the games most women are interested in. his post is nothing conclusive of course but it's something to think about.
I also would like to object to some ideas that were presented in that link I get that there are many experimental games made by minorities that are not very well received by the general gaming public but I think the bigger problem isnt that they are challenging norms or tackling problems we dont usually see like trans issues I think the bigger problem is that the vast majority of them just arent very good games and that's the cold hard truth I played alot of these type of games around 2011 and 2012(even had a failed blog about them in portuguese)and the great majority of them just fail to deliver I know that's true for most of art but I think when people hear about a game in twine or something more experimental their first thought is that it's gonna be a pretentious game that plays poorly and it's over in 5 minutes and I honestly dont think the people promoting these type of games have done a very good job improving that image,ubt take Papers Please it's a game clearly spawned from there but one that was embraced by the mainstream but look how the game got popular and most importantly look how compeling it is to play I think games like that have to take similar routes to stop being marginalized.

And oh that video on the Death of the adventure genre is very good that guy really knows his stuff as is that Tetris video though it's kinda sad because it's one of the least viewd videos from Mathewmatosis.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Fair enough. Again, we'll have to agree to disagree. Not interested in having a major argument about it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

This isn't completely on topic, but it seemed the best place for a comment which didn't really warrant its own thread.

I'm sick of reviews that post spoilers! I rarely read reviews, even of games I'm interested in. I generally gather opinion from forums and friends, but this evening I've read two reviews on IGN for Battlefield Hardline and Hotline Miami 2. Not major spoilers but both reviews contained information I'd rather have discovered myself. In fact the Battlefield review went out of its way to inform the reader of a few surprise moments. What a pain in the ass!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I want to add just one more video I didn't think to add in my post before. It's a video from a channel that focused specifically on level design in games. Some really interesting breakdowns of specific levels:

Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Cool little video criticisim the lack of actual choice in the Walking Dead and Telltale games,it really manages to ilustrate my main problem with the Telltale formula and why it has grown a bit stale to me despite being fairly new:

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I found this transcript of a keynote about the subject of games as art, and found it pretty interesting. And don't worry, it's not trying to answer the old question of "Are games art?" In fact it spends a lot of time demonstrating how that's a redundant question. Instead it shows examples of various different ways art and games come together. It also talks about how best to present games as art.

http://www.molleindustria.org/blog/the- ... t-upgrade/
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

I only played a little bit of Rocket League but this video nails as why this game is so great,by the way this gamespot show is probably the best thing they've done in years I highly recommend it

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Probably my favourite Extra Credits of recent months...

Are remakes good or bad for the industry? Sums up both sides of the argument, and articulates the downsides better than I do when I try to explain what I dislike about them.

Interestingly, Rare Replay does answer the question they pose at the end of the video...
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I just came across this really cool and well written editorial on Dante's Inferno, which compares the game both to the original work and some 19th century illustrations that you often see more closely associated with the original. I found it really interesting as I recently played through the game myself. It actually provides a pretty balanced view of the merits of each version of the story. The view of the game overall though falls in line pretty close with my own.

http://www.avclub.com/article/what-dant ... e-d-224188
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Great video of Jim Sterling reguarding Quiet's design on MGSV:

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I just realised there's a Youtube channel I should have posted about here a long time ago. It's called Games as Lit. 101, and it's focused on analysis of games from a narrative perspective. The guy recently did a really brilliant and lengthy series delving in to the Gears of War trilogy of all things. Don't let the subject matter fool you, as it's actually really interesting, and gets in to some cool stuff.

Part 1:

Parts 2-4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP2IOiRXttQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDRc1boW_Ik
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4deDtSrFD5Q

There are also videos on games you would more likely expect to see on the channel, like Bioshock, Little Inferno, and Thomas Was Alone. There are also a bunch of videos covering specific topics, like tropes or storytelling themes. It's all really good stuff.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Danny O'Dywer nails why I left Assassins creed behind,great video on the evolution,or lack there of, of the series:

deacon05oc

Post by deacon05oc »

One thing I always seem to notice about games criticism is mainly from us outsiders. Most of the time it seems to me that nobody likes anything. Or that the game that was once the super hype all of a sudden has become an "unplayable piece of garbage." Or other such hyperbole. All I hear and read is how no one is gonna buy this game because of X reasons, yet then it sells boatloads. It can't certainly be casual gamers making up the ground. I know I'm kinda all over the place with this post but just wanted to express something that's been on my mind a while. Seems like we as gamers, myself included don't have the fortitude to stick to our guns. Even I'm beginning to waffle on Star Wars Battlefront after playing the beta despite not being on board with the multiplayer focus when announced.
AlexMaskill

Post by AlexMaskill »

Flabyo wrote:His good points are unfortunately buried by his being into the whole 'lots of other media have been ruined by cultural migration (i.e., feminists) so we need to protect ourselves' thing.
Yeahhhh, he's not as bad as the Mafia guy but he's really not great. I mean, as far as I know Polish politics is tending very right-wing at the moment so I guess he's in a different climate to the rest of us but denying the obvious reality of the medium and industry's broad mistreatment of marginalised groups is never a good look.
MagicianArcana

Post by MagicianArcana »

deacon05oc wrote:Most of the time it seems to me that nobody likes anything. Or that the game that was once the super hype all of a sudden has become an "unplayable piece of garbage." Or other such hyperbole.
To be honest I feel the same way. For example I really like Armikrog. I started playing it before looking at any reviews. After I played it for a bit I decided to see what the consensus on the game was online and I was surprised to see most people calling it an unplayable, buggy mess. I thought the game was really polished. I saw a few minor animation imperfections while playing but nothing noticeably bad or game breaking.

Are people's standards too high? Am I too forgiving? Or am I missing something? Maybe I'm just optimistic. I know how hard it is to develop a game, so when I play games I try to overlook the flaws in an attempt to get the experience the developers intended us to have.
deacon05oc

Post by deacon05oc »

MagicAirplane wrote:
deacon05oc wrote:Most of the time it seems to me that nobody likes anything. Or that the game that was once the super hype all of a sudden has become an "unplayable piece of garbage." Or other such hyperbole.
Are people's standards too high? Am I too forgiving? Or am I missing something? Maybe I'm just optimistic. I know how hard it is to develop a game, so when I play games I try to overlook the flaws in an attempt to get the experience the developers intended us to have.
I ask myself those same questions. I know that if I don't like a game, but it's well made, I can't take anything away from it for that. It just may not be for me. I would like to think most people would agree that something like The Last of Us is a well made game. Even if one didn't enjoy it. But to say something like its "broken" for something that is clearly not, it just seems you want to make it seem that it's not on you for your lack of enjoyment. Now if the game is a mess then there's no debate there.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

That's why I really like the Assassins creed video it's not about saying that Syndicate is bad,it's probably the best game of the series since 4 or brotherhood if you didnt like the pirate stuff,it's about saying how the series changed and what it became and why as someone who started from the first game looking for something what the series is now just isnt appealing anymore.
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

Todinho wrote:Danny O'Dywer nails why I left Assassins creed behind,great video on the evolution,or lack there of, of the series:
Completely agree with all of this as well. My middle school students loved both Black Flag and Unity and that helped me realize these games weren't really for me anymore. The newer AC games are really fun for a certain type of person, even more if they are your first experiences with the franchise. But even the good Assassin's Creed games aren't really for me anymore.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Great video from Kotaku looking critically at the RE7 demo and how it stands up to the classic RE games and PT:
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Very similar to the comments I made in a separate thread earlier, right down to Blair Witch, though put far more eloquently and infinitely more knowledgeably! Thanks for sharing it. Great to watch after you've played through, but avoid if you haven't yet!