Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Post by ratsoalbion »

I know our Jay's been looking forward to this one for a while and the reviews are coming in HOT.
dezm0nd

Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Post by dezm0nd »

It's been off my radar completely until I saw the reviews and realised that a decent game in the LOTR universe is getting me very excited.

It's out on the same day as Smash Bros 3DS, so it's got no chance of prying my wallet open for now.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The reviews have taken me from knowing nothing about it to day one purchase. It sounds *exactly* like the kind of thing I want to play.

Monolith are one of those developers who occasionally do something very interesting from an AI perspective (F.E.A.R for example), and it sounds like the Nemesis thing in this is a nice leap forward in that area.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Hmm very very tempted but I think I'll wait for Santa.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Yeah I imagine it'll be a great Xmas game, especially with The Hobbit being out around that time too!
Beck

Post by Beck »

It has just been added to my amazon Christmas list:)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

If you have a PC that will run it you can get Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor for about half the price of, and three days earlier than, the console versions:
http://www.gamekeysnow.com/keys/Middle_ ... 4-46532121
Baron Phil

Post by Baron Phil »

I've been looking forward to this and it's great to hear the reviews are so positive so far. Definitely going to be picking this up.
countstex

Post by countstex »

Been following this one for a while. Feels like the first game that's truly taking advantage of Next-come-Current gen hardware. They didn't look how to make a totally new genre, just how to turn existing ideas into something unseen. If it works as well as the reviews suggest, this could easily be my game of the year, if not one of my favourites of all time. Of course this means I'm way too hyped for the game, which is always a dangerous place to be!
Beck

Post by Beck »

I was really looking forward to this and even pre-ordered it until the news of the season pass today. Day 1 dlc? No thanks, I'll wait for a complete edition or your game has lowered in price.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I think you'll struggle to find a game released this fall that isn't doing that.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Yeah, I wonder if it affects sales with all these season passes and day 1 dlc. I'm not normally a day 1 buyer so maybe it's just me but I don't agree with dlc on release. I'll pick it up with a goty edition or wait for the dlc to be on sale. :)
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

It's really crap. Mass Effect 3 started this off with Javik as day one dlc. Couldn't imagine it without him.
Beck

Post by Beck »

I don't think I'm anti DLC if it genuinely adds content after release but I'm totally against day one dlc. It feels like it's content that traditionally would have been in the game that has been removed for the purpose of charging extra. I'll wait until the game drops in price and take it from there.

If the game had a been available with all the DLC in a special edition with some sort of price reduction I likely would have caved. I have had a rubbish week ha ha
Beck

Post by Beck »

DomsBeard wrote:It's really crap. Mass Effect 3 started this off with Javik as day one dlc. Couldn't imagine it without him.
Yeah, that was a strange one. I really enjoyed javik but felt like I had to have him at all times.
Baron Phil

Post by Baron Phil »

Beck wrote:I don't think I'm anti DLC if it genuinely adds content after release but I'm totally against day one dlc. It feels like it's content that traditionally would have been in the game that has been removed for the purpose of charging extra. I'll wait until the game drops in price and take it from there.
I completely agree and I hate the season pass trend of charging upfront for future dlc that is clearly now the norm but I'll still pick this up as it doesn't sound like there's anything in the season pass that feels 'essential' to the story like ME3 dlc did.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Wow just saw Totalbiscuit video on the game,this nemesis system seems fantastic I had a complete 180 after seeing it I'll totally be picking this up at some point now! It's about time we had a great LotR game it has been awhile since the last one.

And yeah the DLC thing is a big bummer it's a shame that this has to happen to almost every AAA game nowadays and yeah the the ME3 was the worst example of it to this day I havent played ME3 just because of it.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Day 1 dlc is bollocks. You've already paid £40+ for the game, so locking extra stuff away sucks.
Got a fair bit to trade in,so I'm getting this. Really not paid much attention to it, LOTR games have been average at best really. But the reviews got my attention, and I'm well up for this now. If I'd paid more attention and saw it was Monolinth doing it, I'd have known better.
wolfrider

Post by wolfrider »

Loving this game. I've put in about 10 hrs and only done about 20% of the game. The personalities of the Orcs are great, and I've come up against some of them a number of times. They've reminded me that they have either have killed me or that I fled, and it's this system that makes the game so personal. The combat is like Batman, but is suited to sword combat. There have been a number of missions that I have not been able to get to, and these have also resulted in many changes in the Orcs leadership. For me it's probably my GOTY.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I'm a huge LOTR fan but had pretty much dismissed it as I presumed it'd be terrible. But it sounds amazing. I'd pick it up now but got Alien Isolation en route so I'll pick that up next.