All things Batman

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Testtube27

Batman: Arkham Knight

Post by Testtube27 »

Hi Guys,

I'm a huge fan of the Arkham games and Batman comics, wanted to set up somewhere where we could try out fan theories about the Arkham knight, discuss plot points from the previous games and what we hope to see in the new game
arry_g

Re: Arkham Knight, fan theories and discussion

Post by arry_g »

Well speculation on the Knight himself is difficult because we know so little.

Popular theories include:
* The Joker
* Jason Todd (aka The Red Hood)
* Thomas Wayne *sighs*
* Damian Wayne
* Thomas Eliot (aka Hush)

It being the Joker would cheapen the ending of City. It being Jason Todd would be telling an old story all over again. It being any of the Wayne's past of present wouldn't serve the Arkham series that well. It being Hush would be a plausible follow up to a plot line left unfinished in City but that doesn't seem like a satisfying outcome. So, who then?

I honestly don't know - Rocksteady said that the Arkham Knight was a character of their own creation but as far as I'm concerned the man (or woman) under the mask doesn't need to be. To matter, to have impact it needs to be someone the player knows... not just a random security guard from the first game or a member of the rogues gallery unrecognisable to fans of the previous games or movies. That would give us three games to choose from Asylum, City and Origins but can we consider Origins cannon as Rocksteady themselves are very dismissive of it. More than likely then we have two games to choose from. So, let's look at established characters who made an appearance in those games then:

Batman
Joker
Harley Quin
Barbara Gordon (Oracle)
Jim Gordon
Bane
Zsasz
Killer Croc
Poison Ivy
Scarecrow
The Riddler
Quincy Sharp
Thormas and Martha Wayne
Clayface
Jack Ryder
Catwoman
Tim Drake (Robin)
Alfred
Hugo Strange
Two-Face
Penguin
The al Ghul family
Mr. Freeze
Calander Man
Solomon Grundy
Mad Hatter
Deadshot
Hush
Azrael
Vicki Vale

How likely are any of these characters to have the means of becoming the Arkham Knight? How many would wear the name "Arkham" with pride I wonder?

I personally would eliminate the following due to physical build/stature: Bane, Killer Croc, Quincy Sharp, Penguin, Solomon Grundy and Mad Hatter.

I would eliminate the following because of:
Spoiler: show
death (though excluding Ra's because he is the most probable to chillax in a Lazarus Pit)
Joker, Thormas and Martha Wayne and Hugo Strange.

At this stage I'm left with:

Batman,
Harley Quin,
Barbara Gordon (Oracle),
Jim Gordon,
Zsasz
Poison Ivy
Scarecrow
The Riddler
Clayface
Jack Ryder
Catwoman
Tim Drake (Robin)
Alfred
Two-Face
The al Ghul family
Mr. Freeze
Calander Man
Deadshot
Hush
Azrael
Vicki Vale

Obviously there are more who can be crossed off for age, motivation, intelligence and so on - I refuse to rule out Batman himself, Robin, Hush or Azrael though.
Beck

Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - fan theories and discussion

Post by Beck »

As someone who has limited knowledge of the comic book world but who has enjoyed the three games. How do you know it isn't Bruce? I've just watched the trailer and the letter from Thomas Wayne to Bruce whilst batman suits up suggests that it is Bruce?

I've read a few of the graphic novels and watched a good few of the animated films. I was aware that there had been other people that wore the suit but hadn't realised it to be a regular thing.
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

Beck wrote:As someone who has limited knowledge of the comic book world but who has enjoyed the three games. How do you know it isn't Bruce? I've just watched the trailer and the letter from Thomas Wayne to Bruce whilst batman suits up suggests that it is Bruce?

I've read a few of the graphic novels and watched a good few of the animated films. I was aware that there had been other people that wore the suit but hadn't realised it to be a regular thing.
Hey, sorry - we're making massive assumptions that everyone has followed all the video footage and interviews regarding the game. In Batman Arkham Knight, there's a new villain present called Arkham Knight (as opposed to Batman being the Dark Knight). It is he I am speculating on :)
Beck

Post by Beck »

Ah! Ha ha I was a bit lost! I'm really looking forward to Arkham Knight and will definitely be buying it at launch.

As for the Arkham Knight, I'd like to not know. I like the idea of trying to figure it out as I progress. I'd really like it to be someone new though, as much as I like the joker I think it would be good to see another villain take the spotlight.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I'd like it to be Superman trolling because he's bored ;)
Testtube27

Post by Testtube27 »

I think the only way joker is making an appearance will be as an hallucination, Scarecrow being the main villain means they'll be plenty of surreal moments like Asylum, and the City DLC showed that Jokers death had a huge effect on Batmans mind.

One of my favourite Arkham Knight theories is that its Hush, following on from City's side mission.

Has anyone else read Court of Owls? the character at the end of that storyline has a very very similar appearance to Knight, and it would tie in to the announcement trailers "father and son" theme
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

Testtube27 wrote:I think the only way joker is making an appearance will be as an hallucination, Scarecrow being the main villain means they'll be plenty of surreal moments like Asylum, and the City DLC showed that Jokers death had a huge effect on Batmans mind.

One of my favourite Arkham Knight theories is that its Hush, following on from City's side mission.

Has anyone else read Court of Owls? the character at the end of that storyline has a very very similar appearance to Knight, and it would tie in to the announcement trailers "father and son" theme
I have, it's been a while but do you mean
Lincoln March aka Thomas Wayne, Jr aka one of the Talons?
Testtube27

Post by Testtube27 »

That's exactly who I mean, though introducing that character would be difficult in the last game
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

Testtube27 wrote:That's exactly who I mean, though introducing that character would be difficult in the last game
To be honest the whole Court of Owls story could work well as an open world Batman game. I'm not sure they would take any elements of characters from that for the final Rocksteady Arkham game (and let's be honest, Rocksteady will stop doing these games but how likely is it WB stop) but it would be kind of awesome taking that character especially if given his own Arkham twist.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Could it be
Azrael?
Azrael: I bring a message: dark days are coming, Batman. The Prophecy is coming true, you are the warrior who will close the gates of Hell, you are the one who will save this day, and in doing so, events will occur that you cannot stop, from the ashes of Arkham the fires will rage and Gotham will burn, and you, you will burn too.Batman: I don't believe in fairy tales.Azrael: Believe what you will. The message has been delivered. We will meet again.
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

After the twists in City I think all bets are off. The Arkham Knight might be just a pawn in some one else's game! One trailer made it look like the rogues gallery have united after the events of city. Could the new villain in town just a destruction from the big plan?
Testtube27

Post by Testtube27 »

How do you guys feel about the inclusion of the Batmobile, I was skeptical at first, but after seeing it in action I've been converted, as long as there aren't too many of those tank battles, I want Batman not Battlefield
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Like it as it reminds me of a Batman game where there was a great driving section (snes maybe?).

Tank stuff doesn't appeal at all and feels totally uneccessary. Batman shooting robotanks? :/
Testtube27

Post by Testtube27 »

yeah the general driving looks great and fits the feel of the series more, the tank sections .......not so much

Is anyone planning on getting the special or collectors editions, I always planned on getting the best version but at £150 I think they are taking the mickey
Testtube27

Post by Testtube27 »

Seeing the latest ACE chemical trailers has got me a little worried over the writing and story for Arkham Knight, not sure if the guys at Rocksteady can bring the characters to life the same way Paul Dini did. Or is it just me?
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Not worried about this at all, I'm all in. Got the £88 amazon edition pre-ordered :lol:
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I'm still not looking forward to driving around but I'm sure it'll be superb. As long as the Arkham Knight isn't The Joker. I'm going for a clone of Bruce Wayne that Quincy Sharp has put together.
Testtube27

Post by Testtube27 »

DomsBeard wrote:I'm still not looking forward to driving around but I'm sure it'll be superb. As long as the Arkham Knight isn't The Joker. I'm going for a clone of Bruce Wayne that Quincy Sharp has put together.
Thats the first time I've heard that theory Dom, I like it, cloning was hinted at in the Harley Quinn DLC. I wish I'd ordered the £88 version but it's completely sold out on Amazon now. :cry:
Alex79

Re: Batman: Arkham Knight

Post by Alex79 »

I reckon it'll be Alfred.