All things Wolfenstein

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
NokkonWud

All things Wolfenstein

Post by NokkonWud »

Did anyone else pick this up yesterday? I know Darren G. did, but his PC PSU blew.

I'd been on the fence, not because I was unsure of the game, but because financially it would involve trading (yuck!) but caved, wandered into town and picked it up on the PS4. They only had two copies left, at 2pm, on a Tuesday, so it's either doing better than I expected or not as many were printed as for many other games.

Either way, my first impressions are almost all positive. Very positive. In fact, I have the feeling it'll be one of the sleeper hits of the year. It has shades of both Rage (makes sense, being id Tech) and Dishonored in how it plays whilst mixing in an actual story, stealth that works(!) and humour. I got a real kick out of playing it last night and can't wait to get back to it tonight, it's been so long since I've been excited by getting back to a shooter - and to think, it's all because we have a game that doesn't try to re-invent the wheel. Something I've been wanting for years, an old-school shooter at heart that's just really polished.

I'm on Chapter 3 now, so I'm hoping it can maintain this pacing and quality throughout.
FatsoJetson

Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order

Post by FatsoJetson »

I think you've sold me on it. I was already tempted, given the Starbreeze/Riddick heritage of the developers. Will hopefully pick it up this weekend.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I was interested in this game for a while, although unsure on it. Given the Starbreeze connection, I was hoping it would be good, but as time went on nothing really materialised showing that it had anything I was looking for from it. Then they did that gameplay livestream for it, and that put me right off. Just made it look like a really dull, unimaginative, grey corridor shooter. Reviews and the like since release seem to be making the case that it's more than that, but still I'm not really seeing anything about it that would interest me much. I guess it seems good as a dumb but satisfying shooter, which refreshingly brings back some old-school design instead of the more modern stuff I don't particularly like, but still it doesn't seem like it has enough to it for me to really get in to it.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Played the first hour on PS4, so far so good. Loved Return To Castle Wolfenstein, so I'm hoping this should be good.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

New PSU in and PC struggled to get back into action but after a lengthy defrag, I was back in the game! I've played another chunk of it tonight and i'm really enjoying it.

The perk/challenge system really helps keep me motivated to change up my play style and I can FEEL the Riddick/Darkness/Syndicate within its blood.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

dezm0nd wrote:The perk/challenge system really helps keep me motivated to change up my play style and I can FEEL the Riddick/Darkness/Syndicate within its blood.
Yes!

It *feels* great to play.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Also, it's probably the first FPS to allow no nonsense dual wielding of any gun type since Goldeneye. Double Assault Rifles? WHO CARES!
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

dezm0nd wrote:Also, it's probably the first FPS to allow no nonsense dual wielding of any gun type since Goldeneye. Double Assault Rifles? WHO CARES!
Yeah, I'd go with that. The fact it doesn't care how ridiculous it is is why it works, they've not tried to make it realistic in that regard, which just makes it fun.

Just played a bit more tonight, had several more moments I've abolutely loved about this playthrough. One thing I didn't think I'd pay any attention to throughout this playthrough is the story, so it's surprising how much I'm enjoying it.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I'm getting the tiniest, but all the better for it, whiff of Half Life 2 about it. It comes from a gun which doesn't let me fling objects but cut open certain fences and chains!

Also the oppressive behaviour of the combine and the nazi's in a well "policed" city....blah blah blah ;)
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Dual weilding assault rifles shouldn't be so much fun. But by Christ it is. Really enjoying this so far.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

You can tell it's the Riddick guys purely by how many leaning options you have. You can lean backwards! :shock: :lol:

edit: Turns out, it's kind of a crouch/prone but still... when you shoot that guy by using that move. :D
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Well great. Thanks everyone, something else I thought I could skip that now has to go on the wish list! :D
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Best FPS I've played in ages, love it.
Baron Phil

Post by Baron Phil »

magicjoef wrote:Well great. Thanks everyone, something else I thought I could skip that now has to go on the wish list! :D
I caved and ordered it yesterday. Too many of the right people saying the right things to miss it.
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

How does it compare with Riddick and the Darkness? I loved both of those games, so does Wolfenstein feel 'of a kind' with those?
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Electric Crocosaurus wrote:How does it compare with Riddick and the Darkness? I loved both of those games, so does Wolfenstein feel 'of a kind' with those?
I'm quite the fanboy of those titles and this has moments that go alongside those in quality. Wolfenstein has the best gun play, but it's not necessarily the best of those three, but it's certainly up there in quality all round, and that's quite something coming from me.

The thing that's surprised me the most is how the Stealth mechanic in it actually works! It's more than just a checkbox on a sheet, that's for sure.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Giant Nazi robots are not fun, they feel like the weak link
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Well, I just sort of marathon'd that... I've finished it. Really, really enjoyed it. Will go back and check out the other timeline, for sure.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Proper fun game this. Caught a Nazi having a slash, smacked his head, put him in his own piss, then stuck a knife through his chin. Acthung baby.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

The ending was sadder than I expected.