Games Completed 2015

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Scrustle

Games Completed 2015

Post by Scrustle »

You all know the drill. Post the games you finished in 2015 in here.

03/01 - D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die: Season One

Got this for free on Gold, and I think that was the best way for me to experience it. I had an expectation of what this game would be like, and although I had some curiosity, it didn't seem like it was something I was prepared to actually put money down for to sate that curiosity. My expectations ended up being pretty accurate.

It's one of these games where there's pretty much no involvement of the player. "Gameplay" almost completely consists of clicking on everything and watching the plot unfold, apart from a few QTEs (and a lot of "Slow Time Events"). There's no need to make tough choices or do any deduction at all. It pretty much requires the minimum interaction possible. It left me feeling like it would be better suited to simply being a TV show, as it pretends to be, since having that low level of "interaction" just makes the experience very tedious, because you can't relax and passively take it all in like a show, yet the actions you are required to do are as far from engaging as possible. For most of my time with it, I was literally lying on my side, lazily holding the controller and tapping it every now and then when prompted. This is a case where being a game, or simply attempting to be an interactive piece of media of any form, really hurt the experience.

As for the story itself though, I don't know. There were a few funny characters and scenes, which is what made me curious in the first place, but the quality of writing and the plot itself aren't particularly interesting. Maybe it's just because the whole thing ends when it seems like things are just getting started, but what is there is hardly an intriguing mystery plot. I might even go back on what I said about it being better as a TV show, since the level of writing probably wouldn't be good enough to hold up a show by itself. The quirky characters bring out the occasional chuckle, but that's not really enough to hold it up either.
Bakers_12

Re: Games Completed 2015

Post by Bakers_12 »

Off we go

5/1 Destiny : The dark below DLC
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Sniper Elite V2 - PS3.
James

Post by James »

Scrustle wrote:You all know the drill. Post the games you finished in 2015 in here.

(I wasn't sure whether there's some kind of official thread for this that was planned to be set up, but I finished my first game of the year today, so I thought I might as well make a thread since there wasn't one already.)
Nope. The official one is simply whoever sets one up first. So, thanks! :D

Last year was a bit up and down for me in terms of completing games. I'd say I'll do better this year, but I'm planning a backlog assault which will likely mean playing a bunch and only finishing a few. I'll keep things up-to-date on here, but it may be a short list for me in 2015.
RobC

Post by RobC »

I got a bit of a kick start this year as I played the majority of these over the Christmas break and just finished them up in the last few days of holiday :D

January
The Evil Within
This left me cold to be honest, by the end I was just ticking boxes to get to the end.
Spoiler: show
While on a whole it was enjoyable, reasonably good combat and ammo management, however the environments ruined it. Whenever I was getting into a good rhythm and found myself immersed in an environment, the screen would start to shake and then boom, I'd be dropped somewhere else. I understand it narratively, although in my mind that all went to pish long before the credits. Whenever it happened, all I could think was "what was the point?".
Pikmin 3
Picked this up just after I got my Wii U in a pricing error on the Nintendo site (Pikmin 3 & Wonderful101 among others for under a tenner if I remember correctly), though never got round to playing it till I fired it up with a friend and we started ploughing through passing the gamepad back and forth. I carried on and finished it over Christmas and a bit miffed I left it so long, it was amazing, not as mechanically sound as I would like but it was so much fun I didn't care.

Oops, edited for minor spoilers.
The_Rooster

Post by The_Rooster »

Finally after 19hrs 20 mins even though it felt 30+ completed evil within.

Loved probably 75% of it and hated 15%. And the rest was just ok.

Loved the way Laura and the keeper bosses were designed. Not the best fights but the image of those were brilliant I would of loved to see the production design for them.

As far as the story (no spoilers) goes is very good. Once you get your 'brain' around the idea of whats going on it's becomes enjoyable to see what they will throw at you next.

I did have to knock the difficulty down at the end as I just wanted to finish it. It's definitely ment to played on a high difficulty as that will generate "shit run" feeling you need.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

05 Jan: Silent Hill 3 (PS2)
Normal difficulty for both puzzles and combat.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I'm going to keep this list much shorter this year. Let's get the ball rolling.

Jan 5: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (100%)
Jan 6: Halo 3 (Legendary co-op)
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Back to the Future:Episodes 1-5 - PSN.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Wolfenstein The New Order-Wyat timeline(PC)- So I still dont understand why this game is getting so many game of the year mentions maybe that dammed expectation just got to me again but I do know this,this is the best FPS I've played since the original Bioshock only it plays much much better!(granted I dont play many FPS's) But the game is just so much fun whether you're sneaking around and throwing knifes(super overpowered by the way) or running like a madman dual-wielding shotguns(probably one of the best shotguns in a game ever).
Another thing I loved in this was all the thought put into the world,all the news articles, the records,the letters and the architecture(If you've seen Hitlers plans for New Berlin you know what Im talking about)it's all really well put together and alot of attention to detail was put into it and I love it,however I got say all that mystical sci-fi tech ruins it a bit for me especially when the Nazis have a Moon base in 1960 especially since you barely see the evolution of the nazi gear from 46 to 60,it still works because the game isnt super serious with itself but still I wish it didnt have this aspect...look I just want "The Man in the High Castle" the videogame ok.

Now the story was something everybody was praising it but unfortunally I didnt find anything that blew me away or anything it's a pretty straight foward black&white "Let's kill the nazis and save the world!" and it plays most of the beats you would expect,the story does have some unexpected grim,heartwarming and interesting moments,which for me are flashes of brilhance in a otherwise predictable plot,that elevate it to above average but that's all.I got say though the villian in this is great and that final level is stelar I really liked how things ended,also this game has a protagonist that is a combination of two tropes I hate: The mary sue and the edgy soldier so I was prepared to hate this guy but somehow the game just wouldnt let me( the phrase "So you've put a nazi on the moon...fuck you moon!" might have something to do with it) and also Caroline is great. By the way is it ever explained who Caroline is and how Bj is a super soldier greater than Captain America himself and how he knows Deathshead before the first mission?Because if there was I sure did missed it.

So after writing this all down I guess I do get it a little why people like this so much,but yeah great game reallt liked playing it but I dont think I'll go for the other timeline though.
PS:The Soundtrack in this game is awesome!!!
Jinkkai

Post by Jinkkai »

Got this year off to a good start.

Completed campaign of Sniper Elite 3 (1/5/15) Granted it was co-op , but I enjoyed it enough to maybe go for a second run on hard. All in all a tad short but incredible fun.

(1/10/15)Dragon Age :Inq- (Plat but not 100%). I'm still really torn over this one, lord knows it took a while to get going. there were some tedious rough patches. It'll be a long time I think before I pick it up again.

(1/12/15) Shadow Warrior. Surprised the hell out of me. Turned out I really enjoyed it. Action was fast in the Painkiller/Serious Sam vibe and the story was quite competent and lengthy. Dragged a bit toward the end, but was easily forgiven.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Right... time for another big list.

Jan - Sega Rally Championship
Perfect, the ultimate Mizuguchi game by a long stretch. Always wondered how this game kept re-appearing month after month in magazines. I actually expected this to be a nice 15 minute playthrough but if you're pushing for perfection there's been at least 10 hours of fun without being able to say I've truly hit my personal milestone just yet.

Jan - Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
An easy entry into the GOTY list but perhaps a tiny bit premature, it had everything I originally looked for in the zero escape series but failed to hit that level in the long run.

Jan - Salamander 2
Managed to reach loop 2 before game over but it was a tough game for the most part, should set me up for the dark depths I'm planning to travel to with this genre.

Edit: This year I'm thinking that naming the platform I played a game on is pointless so I'm kicking it off the list.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Jan 5: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (100%)
Jan 6: Halo 3 (Legendary co-op)
Jan 14: Gears of War Judgement

Not a bad GoW game but wasn't essential by any means. I enjoyed the combat and the optional modifiers helped keep the game fresh. It looked stunning, too. UE3 was on top form!
GSMason

Post by GSMason »

Jan: Sunset Overdrive

This was a campaign I felt compelled to see through to the end despite nearly leaving it completely on a few occasions. Did get better as it went on But it took me a long time to get used to some of its systems especially the upgrade stuff. A lot of dull missions but different combat and great traversal. 7/10

Jan: Super Mario 3D World

I was late to the Wii U party and finally played this. Not much to add to what others have said - Nintendo at their best, inventive and brilliant. Completed to credits after 8 worlds. Will go back at some point for other stuff

Next up Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
wolfrider

Post by wolfrider »

Jan:
Lara Croft & the Guardian of Light
Golden Axe Arcade
Ratchet & Clank Nexus
Alien Isolation
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Back to the Future:Episodes 1-5 - PSN.
(Jan) Velocity 2X - VITA.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Right, let us begin the year with...

Jan 15th - Dragon Age: Inquisition (XBO)

Still a few minor side quests to mop up, but I think I've done about 90% of what the game has in it. The part of the ending where it shows the affect your choices have had on the wider world going forward was fun, I think I may have left things in not quite as good a state as I was intending to... the road to hell and all that...
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Flabyo wrote:Right, let us begin the year with...

Jan 15th - Dragon Age: Inquisition (XBO)

Still a few minor side quests to mop up, but I think I've done about 90% of what the game has in it. The part of the ending where it shows the affect your choices have had on the wider world going forward was fun, I think I may have left things in not quite as good a state as I was intending to... the road to hell and all that...
So what is the combat in that game actually like? Footage of it looks kind of good, but some people say it plays kind of MMO-ish, with you just managing cooldowns, but as I was listening to Bin-night Resistrinse Very Good yesterday, it was said to be like Dragon's Dogma. Those are two very different combat styles.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I was playing on 'normal' so almost all the time I was just playing it like Dragon's Dogma. Controlling mostly my main character and occasionally switching to the other characters when I wanted to do something specific.

I suspect if you were playing on a harder setting you'd need to use the mode where you pause the game and issue orders from an overhead view more like the way Baldur's Gate and Knights of the Old Republic worked. As it is, I hardly ever needed to.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

What I mean is how is the fundamental control of characters handled? Like, if you're not in the tactical mode, do you have direct control over a character with the sticks, and if you press an attack button that will equate to one swing of a weapon?