Oculus Rift

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Guy_JD

Oculus Rift

Post by Guy_JD »

I know it's a long shot but has anyone on here bought one? The mrs has pretty much agreed we should get one after watching a YouTube video of it being used with Alien isolation and who am I to argue with her about how we should save the money instead.
RoboticMonk3y

Re: Oculus Rift

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Guy_JD wrote:I know it's a long shot but has anyone on here bought one? The mrs has pretty much agreed we should get one after watching a YouTube video of it being used with Alien isolation and who am I to argue with her about how we should save the money instead.
get one of the google cardboard things and hook it up with your smart-phone,
it'll give you a taster of an occulus, but only costs about £4-5, depending on which one you pick up
http://www.dx.com/p/neje-zb01-diy-googl ... L-QtCusWuN

sorry, should have made myself a little bit clearer, there is open source software that lets you use your smart-phone as a basic oculus with your PC.

It's worth noting that the newer oculus is coming out soon, which no doubt means that the older ones will be popping up second hand on ebay.

there's also TrackIR, which tracks where your hed is pointed, and will shift the display depending on where you're leaning. Ever watched someone play an FPS and they're forever tilting their head to try and make their character look up? this actually moves things.
http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/
they pop up on ebay for about £100
Guy_JD

Post by Guy_JD »

RoboticMonk3y wrote: get one of the google cardboard things and hook it up with your smart-phone,
it'll give you a taster of an occulus, but only costs about £4-5, depending on which one you pick up
http://www.dx.com/p/neje-zb01-diy-googl ... L-QtCusWuN
lol yeah I've seen those, I'm happy to get a Rift only thing I'm worried about is HM Customs slapping me with a bill for import duty on top of the headset price.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh I'd love one, fortunately by the time I can afford one they'll be on like version 8 or something and be even more incredible.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

They are still billed as dev kits at the moment, so might be worth holding on until a proper consumer supported version comes out.

I can't wait to get one and try it out with some racing games and flight sims!
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

We have one in the office - I've tried it out briefly with Half Life 2. It's very promising - when the effect works it's almost eerily immersive, but still very much early days and they definitely have some wrinkles to iron out.
Guy_JD

Post by Guy_JD »

magicjoef wrote:They are still billed as dev kits at the moment, so might be worth holding on until a proper consumer supported version comes out.
They reckon we could see a final version at some point in the summer but you know how it is once you set your mind that you want something 5-6 months is a long time to wait. I'm not too worried about the Dev kit bit with programming and tech support experience under my belt.

I am a bit annoyed that there is no longer Minecraft support for it as Mojang threw a hissy fit when Facebook bought Oculus :(
Beck

Post by Beck »

Am I the only one that has no excitement for the rift? I can think of nothing worse than plugging myself into a headset and removing myself from my surroundings.

To me it's like 3d, it's cool but a bit of a fad, or so I hope. I have an eye impairment, nothing serious but it does require I wear glasses. I can't watch 3d films as I get terrible headaches. I would bet I have the same reaction to oculus. Sorry for hijacking the thread:(
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

I thought that since open source stuff has been cropping up everywhere, that there are patches for minecraft now?
Guy_JD

Post by Guy_JD »

RoboticMonk3y wrote:I thought that since open source stuff has been cropping up everywhere, that there are patches for minecraft now?
sorry I guess I meant no official support, so every time Minecraft is updated the mod would need to be updated too.
Beck wrote:Am I the only one that has no excitement for the rift? I can think of nothing worse than plugging myself into a headset and removing myself from my surroundings.

To me it's like 3d, it's cool but a bit of a fad, or so I hope. I have an eye impairment, nothing serious but it does require I wear glasses. I can't watch 3d films as I get terrible headaches. I would bet I have the same reaction to oculus. Sorry for hijacking the thread:(
I like the idea of total immersion into the game world but I can understand how to some it would be a step too far, as for the eyesight issue the Oculus comes with 2 sets of adjustable lenses so you should in theory be able to use it without glasses and adjust it to perfect focus.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

I'm interested to see how Sony are getting on with their headset offering.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I don't think anyone needs to worry about it ever becoming the normal way to play games. It'll always be something of a curio, we've been using pads and TVs for 30 years, its not going to change any time soon (or, ever).
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

I dont' think that those two things are mutally exclusive.
The occulus is replacing your TV, not the controller.
there are some quirks that come with having the camera movement tied to where your head is looking, but I really do think there are a whole bunch of games that would be amazing to walk around in.
Guy_JD

Post by Guy_JD »

Absolutely, just imaging walking through the streets of San Andreas taking in the atmosphere.

There's a really good video by JackSepticEye on YouTube of him playing Alien isolation that shows the genuine fear he was experiencing because it feels so real.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

walking around in GTA V would be great.

I'd love to walk around the Destiny maps, being able to glance to either side of you you be stunning
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I had a go on the Google Cardboard app last night. Even without the box and the lenses, just holding my phone up close, you can tell it's pretty incredible. I'm definitely going to have to get a proper kit for it. I wandered round this snowy woodland and whilst it was blurry as anything (without the proper lenses) you can tell it was pretty spectacular! It still worked, was just really blurred.
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

I had a go on an Oculus Rift yesterday at the Game of Thrones exhibit. It was used to recreate the lift that goes up the wall and then a little walk to the edge of it. I was very impressed with the way it works the headsets where not the new HD versions so things did look a bit like "Knightmare" but the head tracking was spot on and the headset was a lot lighter then it looks like it would be. Once the walking bit at the top of the wall happened was a bit odd as I was standing still but my vision was saying I was moving forward giving you a feeling of flying. Overall amazing stuff!