Star Wars: Battlefront

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
stvnorman

Re: Star Wars: Battlefront

Post by stvnorman »

I made use of a Tesco voucher and picked it up on Friday for £35. Most of the negatives highlighted in the reviews I read convinced me! As an old git with little time for gaming, shallow game play, limited scope, retro feel, casual load out system, etc. are plus points. With a decent set of cans on, you are more immersed in Star Wars than any game previously. It looks wonderful, is a blast to play, and makes me feel like I did sitting in a certain arcade cabinet over thirty years ago. And it lets pick up all those fancy power ups I've got no hope of getting in CoD!
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

Electric Crocosaurus wrote:Right, who's picked this up then?
I did, and I bloody love it!

A huge part of it is that it's Star Wars, but it's just so much fun to play. It feels like a really even battlefield when playing, and to me has just the right amount of power ups and perks, without feeling like you'll never unlock all the best stuff.

All of the game modes have been fun to play, and I'm not really sticking to just one or two like I tend to do with game such as COD.

I for one will be grabbing the season pass as more of what you get in the box is well worth it for me. I can see Battlefront being my go to shooter for quite some time.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

You both present some compelling arguments!
:)
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

ratsoalbion wrote:You both present some compelling arguments!
:)
I do try! :D

While I can totally see why some hardcore Battlefield players may be put off of Battlefront, I like the fact it's more accessible to a wider audience. A lot of people who aren't really into online shooters will likely pick this up due to the Star Wars license, especially in the coming weeks, so it needs to appeal to everyone.

It's so easy to pick up and play for a few rounds, or spend a whole evening playing the various modes like I did this past Thursday and Friday.

If you're a fan of online shooters and Star Wars, then you really should pick this up. I don't think I stop grinning from ear to ear while I'm playing it
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It sounds like a lot of fun and, as I'm sure is the case for many others, I am on my most Star Warsy tip for many a year at the moment.
However I'm loathe to spend £90 (including season pass) or thereabouts on something that few people will be playing - inlcuding possibly myself - in a few weeks time.

I'll wait to see how it pans out, then maybe add it to the Chrimble list or pick up the inevitable GotY edition when it's all a lot cheaper in a few months.
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

I can totally understand not wanting to drop cash for the game and season pass, but I think there's plenty in there to enjoy if you were to just grab the bog standard game.

I certainly don't feel like I've bought part of a game and would be happy if this was it, the fact there's DLC on the way is just a bonus.
Baron Phil

Re: RE: Re: Star Wars: Battlefront

Post by Baron Phil »

stvnorman wrote:I made use of a Tesco voucher and picked it up on Friday for £35. Most of the negatives highlighted in the reviews I read convinced me! As an old git with little time for gaming, shallow game play, limited scope, retro feel, casual load out system, etc. are plus points. With a decent set of cans on, you are more immersed in Star Wars than any game previously. It looks wonderful, is a blast to play, and makes me feel like I did sitting in a certain arcade cabinet over thirty years ago. And it lets pick up all those fancy power ups I've got no hope of getting in CoD!
Exactly why I picked it up. Huge Star Wars fan with very little time to really commit to a COD or Battlefield.

I don't like the price of the season pass, but I've got around that by asking for it for Christmas ;)
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I've been thinking about the season pass tonight. I'm in the fortunate position where value is more important than price. I'll probably dive in, especially if split screen is available in all the new maps - my 8 year old had a game with me tonight on one of the offline battles and once he'd got his brain around the controls he was more than happy just using it as a sandbox.
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

I've been loving it too, now that I've got through the usual online shooter teething pains of being bottom of the grid in my first few games. Walker Assault just brings out the 7-year old Star Wars fan in me; facing off against or running alongside those gigantic AT-AT elephants.

The value question is a good point; Fallout 4 undoubtedly has more 'game' for your buck, but in terms of pure gameplay thrills there's little to compare with Battlefront. I'm enjoying both, but I can see myself dipping into Battlefront for a long time as a comforting snack of light sabre goodness.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

ratsoalbion wrote:Super Star Wars is out on US PSN this week I believe - seems we may have to wait a little longer in the EU.
Noticed it's out here now too.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yes, £8. Put the question out to Twitter whether the quality of emulation and presentation is up to snuff. Only one response but a definite 'no'.

Still tempted though.

Edit: Positive review from Destructoid: http://www.destructoid.com/review-super ... 1401.phtml
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Picked it up, currently killing Jawas. Worth £8 IMO
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Thanks for the pointers. I'll pick it up next time I'm on PSN!