Your gaming revelations and confessions

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
arry_g

Re: Your gaming revelations

Post by arry_g »

Retrothumbs wrote:10 - I'm starting to feel like a cold fish, or I am just not playing the right games, I've not cried at at game.. close to crying with frustration ;)
In fairness, subjectively I feel as though those who have cried are in a minority. Certainly when I have admitted this in the past I have had a few "what's wrong with you?!" comments from people.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Your gaming revelations & confessions

Post by ratsoalbion »

Quite a few games have given me emotional tingles, but my first play-through of Flower is the only gaming experience that's made me properly blub. More than once too. Mind you I was having a pretty bad time with my mental health at that point.

Still, Flower helped, and that's incredible.

I think (if I may generalise) 'we' as gamers perhaps tend to undervalue how much we get from games in terms of laughter. Videogames have made me laugh a lot. Not so much with their deliberate gags (although sometimes of course), but with funny 'emergent' happenings.

I've laughed out loud several times while playing Bloodborne for example - falling into traps or being made jump by a lurking mob.

Nothing compared to the time me and my friend were in proper hysterics (there were tears here too) when in late 1997 we realised we could properly terrorise the scientists in the GoldenEye Facility...
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Good to hear Flower helped you out Ratso. That game is truly special.

I think for me it's when it ties into things that have upset me in real life. People leaving prematurely, good things ending, loved ones dying, stuff like that. I very rarely cry in life and have found myself in many situations where I want to but can't. Also situations where I feel I have to be 'the strong one' and it catches up with me later. The only other games that have caused this reaction is the closing chapter of first season of The Walking Dead, and bizarrely the ending of Streets of Rage 2. That music man...

Crying is something I wish I did more to be honest. It's healthy.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

hazeredmist wrote:Crying is something I wish I did more to be honest. It's healthy.
Same here. I get very 'blocked up'.
Retrothumbs

Post by Retrothumbs »

I share that sentiment, I wish I could cry more too but us blokes don't grow up (I certainly didn't) sharing intimate things with best friends, like girls do, and so it's just instinct almost to keep things bottled up. Anyway, back to games....I think I can honestly only say that playing through the Uncharted games has given me an emotional response. I can't wait to play The Last Of Us... I'm leaving that podcast for now,, spoilers etc.

I think I need to broaden my list of games to try though, that's evident from joining this forum. Now I just need more time. We need more game revelations from people, I have another one to add that is exceptionally odd occurrence and it's gaming related. :)
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I've cried a couple of times.

You know who's death in FFVII.

Glad I read about the last of us otherwise I would've spoilt a scene that upset me that much I turned it off after
Spoiler: show
Sam And Henry
Through joy I was close to tears after finishing the water temple in Ocarina of time. Still the most difficult thing I've done I think.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I've never been into game piracy, whether chipping Playstations or torrent downloads, but before I knew better I did copy the odd Speccy cassette on my twin-deck cassette player, although that rarely worked, and I did have copied disks of Defender of the Crown and Elite on Atari ST from a friend. That's not my confession though, but it does involve Elite. My grandmother was a cleaner at a big British Telecom office. They had a photocopier, and now and then when school work demanded, she'd get a nice lady there to run a copy of something off. Elite has no copy protection on the floppy, but instead asked for a word at a certain place on page x of what I recall was a 100+ page manual when you loaded it up. So I asked my grandmother if she could get it copied! When my mum found out how big this thing was when it came back, she bought a box of Roses for this lady to say thank you. But to this day - now also appreciating how long that must have taken to do page by page - I still feel terrible every time I think about it!
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I don't well up at games, ever but
Spoiler: show
Sarah in the last of us. Goddamn that kid who played her did a bloody great job. Aided by the fact I had no idea it was going to happen or that sarah was even in the game.
And... gears of war 3 tugged at my heartstrings, alright. As did a few scenes in halo. Not to the same tearing up extent, but they got me in the feels somewhat.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Yeah I was the same with Gears 3 even though due to a scene earlier I had kind of guessed it was coming.

Thought of another one. Ocarina Of Time is one of my favourite games ever yet to this day I've not played a second of Majora's Mask.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

DomsBeard wrote:Thought of another one. Ocarina Of Time is one of my favourite games ever yet to this day I've not played a second of Majora's Mask.
I can almost 100% relate. I love every Zelda game I've ever played except Majora's Mask, which I ditched very quickly. I hate the countdown / Groundhog Day mechanics.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I'm a very calm man and very rarely lose my temper unless I'm playing Street Fighter ;)

I've rage quit, thrown controllers and shouted/sworn the full works playing Street Fighter IV through its various upgrades yet if I get tea bagged in Battlefield it doesn't bother me.

Looking forward to doing it again on PS4.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I think the first Mass Effect game is the best in the series. (It is, you know!)

I'm also in the club that never owned a Nintendo console. Actually, I didn't get a console until the PSOne redesign in about 2000, then a 360 in 2009!! I've mostly played PC games, so you can imagine the list of big name games I've missed :shock:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

magicjoef wrote:I think the first Mass Effect game is the best in the series. (It is, you know!)
I agree.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Alex79uk wrote:
magicjoef wrote:I think the first Mass Effect game is the best in the series. (It is, you know!)
I agree.
See, I'm tempted to disagree and say Mass Effect 2, but when I sat down to replay the trilogy, the only game I finished was Mass Effect, which has no trouble retaining my interest. Got bored during the replay of Mass Effect 2 and sacked it off. So maybe I agree!
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

hazeredmist wrote:Got bored during the replay of Mass Effect 2 and sacked it off. So maybe I agree!
You know it makes sense :lol:
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

hazeredmist wrote:
Alex79uk wrote:
I agree.
See, I'm tempted to disagree and say Mass Effect 2, but when I sat down to replay the trilogy, the only game I finished was Mass Effect, which has no trouble retaining my interest. Got bored during the replay of Mass Effect 2 and sacked it off. So maybe I agree!
I think 2nd is the best but I get your thinking withe the 1st. I think you'd struggle to play through 2 twice (I know I did that's what made me get 3 on Wii U).
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

...and today's post:
* I have completed Mass Effect 1 four times
* I have completed Mass Effect 2 twice
* I have completed Mass Effect 3 once

Each time I made the same decisions. The reasoning for this is due to formatting data loss and corrupted save files.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

BTW, don't get me wrong. I love all three! I've played them through twice (a male and a female Shepard) :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I absolutely love the trilogy, and 2 and 3 are some of my favourite games, and whilst the combat and general gameplay is better / more refined in the second two games, the first beats them for story I feel. Although I am also one of the few people who genuinely really liked the ending to number 3.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Since we're talking Bioware I have started Dragon Age origins 10 times but only finnished it 3 times all of the 3 times I played as the same boring male human warrior noble and the other 7 I tried to play othe races,genders and classes but I could never get really far with them the farther i went was with my elf arcane warrior but I just got to the middle of the game,this isnt because I lost data or something I think Im just crazy XD