God Hand

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
James

God Hand

Post by James »

Imminent podcast recording for Clover Studios' last ever game, the bizarre God Hand!

We'd love to have your thoughts and comments on the game for inclusion in the podcast. Thanks in advance! :D
Woodfella

Re: Our next podcast recording TONIGHT!: GOD HAND

Post by Woodfella »

God hand is the best game on the ps2. God hand is the game if its generation. God hand is THE best game

God hand makes me laugh every time I play it but its much

much more than "that funny game ign gave a 3/10 to" it possesses one of the best, if not the best fighting systems in games. It's fast, responsive, you're always on the offensive and little feels better than opening a thug up with a perfectly timed guard break. Counter hits, dodge cancelling, the decision whether to tech the landing when you get knocked down or sacrifice a bit of health for that ever so enticing invincible uppercut. It's a system much deeper than it first appears and takes a while to get used to. The environments do not look good, everything seems to have been devoted to character design and animation, both crucial to a fighting game like this one, both excellent. I'm not sure how I feel about the spanking, the dominatrix, the stereotypes. I don't think it matters too much buy they are probably the only thing about the game I don't love. Demons are an ingenious way of saying flip you, always seeming to arrive when yourev at your most b confident just to take you down a peg or two.

I'm writing this on the bus home, I'm rambling, forgetting loads and theres probably a load of typos so I'll just say this.

God hand is probably my favourite game of all time, no game makes me happier. Play it immediately then play it again on hard!(the way it was supposed to be played IMO)

Oh and guys... Don't act like you don't like the ball buster, yeah
Alex79

Re: God Hand

Post by Alex79 »

Downloaded this on the strength of Midnight Resistance constantly going on about it. Played it for a few minutes and never went back. I'll try to give it a good go over the weekend and post some thoughts.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Sorry everybody, we posted this one up far too late to get lots of correspondence for the podcast, which has already been recorded.

The thread remains as a place to discuss the game though, of course.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Hopefully the podcast will inspire me to get on and play it. Dammit I wish PS2 classics were available on Vita.
Woodfella

Post by Woodfella »

Definitely give it another go, it's bloody great. If you need any tips I'll be happy to help
Retrothumbs

Post by Retrothumbs »

Alex79uk wrote:Hopefully the podcast will inspire me to get on and play it. Dammit I wish PS2 classics were available on Vita.
I completely agree Alex. Surely the PS4 sales has given Sony some more cash tour enable them to start thinking about enhancing gaming services..? ..who knows.
I need to check out Godhand.
Woodfella

Post by Woodfella »

The podcast has inspired me to start another play through.

Mostly enjoyed the podcast but I think I find them harder to enjoy when I know loads about the game. So rather than hearing interesting new things and ideas I just find myself noticing stuff you've got wrong. I've thought about this game a lot! I really like you guys so it was great hearing what you think of a game that I love a lot. Glad you all liked it, otherwise wed have fallen out ;).

Hope I didn't sound like too much of a dickhead there
James

Post by James »

Not at all. I'd love to pretend that we can cover every game without getting anything wrong, but we can only do our best. Out of interest, aside from me mixing up some of the Roulette moves and standard techniques (which I didn't even have to listen back to know I'd done), was there anything in particular we screwed up on?

For what it's worth, you should hear me when I'm listening to any podcast on the Souls games: I properly rant when the hosts get stuff wrong. :oops:
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Finally after about 6 or 7 attempts to get into God Hand I think I’ve cracked it. The gameplay is so unlike anything else it comes across as clunky and obtuse at first. Now I’m on chapter/stage 5 and loving it. Really fun to mess around with different techniques inserting them into my build and giving them a whirl.

A lot of the levels are short with extremely fair chrckpointing which makes it much more palatable. I do find when I first reach a boss I die extremely quickly and have been tempted to watch the rest on YouTube but after 5-6 tries what at first was impossible is eventually conquered. It’s really unlike anything else and is extremely refreshing.

I can see myself hitting an eventual brick wall towards the end as the bosses are very very difficult as I’m cheesing my way past them by the skin of my teeth.

Playing it on ps3 via psn ps2 classics selection.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

On stage 7 now and still working my way through it! From the looks of the map I’m near the end. Really surprised at myself to be honest.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I finished the game at the weekend and so pleased I did. Listened to the cane and rinse podcast as my reward and am amazed the entire panel finished it on normal difficulty. I opted for easy and even then I struggled with the difficulty significantly. I’d be tempted by a normal playthrough now but playing it on that difficulty initially was brutal.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I need to get back to this one. I abandoned my playthrough (also on normal) when I reached the Mad Midget 5 (!), due to the usual distractions.