Helldivers

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
MAp

Helldivers

Post by MAp »

In my quest to find a mutliplayer co-op games after Destiny I grabbed Helldivers during this week's PS store sale. After an hour or two I can see some real potential for the full spectrum of blood filled messy chaos and perfectly drilled teamwork.
Also as a big Robocop and (more importantly) Starship Troopers fan, the sci fi spoof dialogue and style amongst the misfiring carnage is more than welcome :)

RoboticMonk3y

Re: HELLDIVERS

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

I bought this on release, and hit a bit of a difficulty spike and dropped out.
I can't really think why though, it's a good little game.

Definitely played best with a group of people and some level of co-ordination over who is going to bring what gear.
MAp

Post by MAp »

Yeah I've not been able to test out the gear too much as I'm still at a low level, but I've had a few rough moments of keying in and throwing out a ammo supply drop as a hoard chases me...with one box of supplies crushing me in the chaos!?
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

MAp wrote:Yeah I've not been able to test out the gear too much as I'm still at a low level, but I've had a few rough moments of keying in and throwing out a ammo supply drop as a hoard chases me...with one box of supplies crushing me in the chaos!?
Been a super busy week for me, I've got a big project to roll out the door, but I'll see about firing this up at the weekend, I'll even drop you in a mech of your very own ;)
Tleprie

Re: Helldivers

Post by Tleprie »

I haven't played too much recently, but I would love to get back into this game, I have had some pretty funny moments involving my mech suit and accidentally running people over. Add me on PSN if you'd like: Tleprie
MAp

Post by MAp »

Added you Tleprie ;)

Yeah I've had a few goes on the harder missions and the frenetic nature even with Random people is great fun :) The only problem appears on the lower missions as I think high level people come in with a radar to find the samples rather than complete the objectives, which just becomes a mess of people tapping the "move" command...
But then there isn't too much on offer for solo play as a fair number of the missions demand you put yourself in a vulnerable situation which gets almost impossible without cover from other players.
Hopefully I can convince a few more friends (and C&R people) to grab it before the sale ends as I've had a few moments that are truly great, most involving dives for cover as another player saves my behind.

Also the Noby Noby Boy styled community features are a great touch, and I hope they meant to make your contribution look as small as it is every time you finish a world. Seeing all that bluster and shiny numbers only to then notice that the progress bar hasn't moved a pixel is perfect for making you feel like a meaningless cog in the Super Earth machine :D
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

I would say that it's worth upgrading the UAV so you can see samples on the map, it makes it a lot easier to upgrade everything then!
I'm hoping to play a few games on saturday night.
MAp

Post by MAp »

I don't think I've earned the UAV stratagem, but I've seen people constantly chucking out markers for something that brings up the samples for the Radar, it's just when another team member doesn't notice and keeps walking towards a mission objective. I have worked out checking your radar now and then is a must for avoiding unnecessary conflicts.

I'm in new house mode so I have no idea if I'll be on this saturday or cutting up some wood. But if I can I'm up for a more organised go at preserving peace and democracy/killing innocent bugs and cyborgs. My PSN name is MAp-MAp ;)
Tleprie

Post by Tleprie »

I think the UAV was only available for a limited time, you had to buy the game shortly after its release. But I could be wrong.

My loadout usually consists of the scythe laser beam, and 4 mechs.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

MAp wrote:I don't think I've earned the UAV stratagem, but I've seen people constantly chucking out markers for something that brings up the samples for the Radar, it's just when another team member doesn't notice and keeps walking towards a mission objective. I have worked out checking your radar now and then is a must for avoiding unnecessary conflicts.

I'm in new house mode so I have no idea if I'll be on this saturday or cutting up some wood. But if I can I'm up for a more organised go at preserving peace and democracy/killing innocent bugs and cyborgs. My PSN name is MAp-MAp ;)
ha!
it's amazing how much more rewarding these games are with just a little bit of voice chat.
especially when it comes to evac at the end, working out who is covering what makes you escape so much easier!
MAp

Post by MAp »

RoboticMonk3y wrote:especially when it comes to evac at the end, working out who is covering what makes you escape so much easier!
I felt the full force of bad escape plans as a random team of four all throw out turrets as we die in the mayhem of their bullets.

I've found for random people just go with a medic set up through the first mission, then let everyone else just thoughtlessly shoot anything that move. Then if you notice people seem to get their roles a little more you can start getting creative with your loadout 8-)