All things Halo

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
NokkonWud

Re: Halo 4

Post by NokkonWud »

Toffer wrote:Oh god, some of them, including IGN are announcing it to be 'raising the bar in first person shooting'.

FFS. It didn't do it the first time round.
I could not disagree more. The first was a revolution in SP, the sequel a revolution in MP (on console), and every game since has had a noticeable evolution in some way.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

I think establishing how FPSs should control on consoles, recharging health (technically a shield in the original, but this impacted other games), grenades having their own trigger, swapping between 2 guns, etc had a pretty large impact on games. I don't rate Halo 1 as highly as others, but I recognise its importance.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Combine Hunter wrote:I think Reach is the definitely the best one
Campaign from Reach certainly does carry the most weight for me. Felt a bit more complete than any of the other Halo campaigns (along with plenty of references to the halo universe).

For multi-player however, I have far fonder memories of halo 3.
Until only recently I have been playing halo multi-player every Sunday evening. It could be down to the age of the game, but I found the amount of BS gameplay slowly on the rise, people quitting out, teamkilling and the like.

I've heard good things of Halo 4 so far, I'm excited to play the game myself.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Yeah, I put more hours into Halo 3's multiplayer than Reach's. I think Reach is the superior game, but Halo 3 was kind of the first online multiplayer game I REALLY got into.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

Combine Hunter wrote:Yeah, I put more hours into Halo 3's multiplayer than Reach's. I think Reach is the superior game, but Halo 3 was kind of the first online multiplayer game I REALLY got into.
This was like me, except with Halo 2 - I have no idea how many hours I played that game online, but it was an ungodly amount. Since then I've really struggled to get into Halo's MP, especially Reach, which I barely touched. I might try Halo 4 MP, but I can't say I'm that excited to give it a go.
Rare

Post by Rare »

Halo 4 reviews

Polygon 9.5

Destructiod 10

Giantbomb 4/5

Joystiq 5/5

Video review

Contains minor story spoilers

MP montage for those interested (contains dubstep)

NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

RoboticMonk3y wrote:
Combine Hunter wrote:I think Reach is the definitely the best one
Campaign from Reach certainly does carry the most weight for me. Felt a bit more complete than any of the other Halo campaigns (along with plenty of references to the halo universe).

For multi-player however, I have far fonder memories of halo 3.
I know many who feel that way, I believe Tony also feels this way too. The issue I had with Halo 3 MP (if you can call it that, because it was amazing regardless) was that it felt a little slow, Reach was a lot more perky and quick. Both brilliant but I definitely sunk more time into Reach.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Thanks for posting these Rare, those are some pretty imposing scores! (I won't read the content because reviewers have a habit of saying a little more than I'd like)
SnakeyDave

Post by SnakeyDave »

I preferred Halo 3 MP, mostly because I thought it was faster, a bit better balanced, and had better maps (guardian and construct in particular) but I've been playing Reach regularly since it came out and probably put more time into it, so it's hardly been a disappointment. Looking forward to seeing armour abilities refined, and in general the MP looks so polished and fun.

As for campaign I think the first is the best, but in terms of the moment to moment combat, reach or 3 was probably better.

Really excited now, it looks like 343 have pulled it off. As much as the different communities will probably take awhile to really decide what they think- lack of overt ranking may annoy a few,- I'm pretty sure it will only take the first 5 minutes of moving and shooting as chief I'll know if this game is as good as I hope it will be.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

9.8 on IGN, reviews a bit OTT.
Kayin Amoh

Post by Kayin Amoh »

Probably, but most high profile games don't get fair coverage either way. They're either praised to a cultlike status or used as an 'we're not biased, we gave the highly hyped game X 6/10. HA!' argument.

There's literally no way that a collection of sane, impartial minds would have scored, say, Diablo 3 the way it scored on Metacritic. No way in hell.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

...I like Diablo 3...it isn't GOTY material, but I liked it.
W1DGET

Post by W1DGET »

My Collectors Edition arrived from Shopto this morning or rather I found it on my doorstep on the way to work lol.
Leg of Time

Post by Leg of Time »

Have now ordered this based on multiplayer shenanigans last night (won't be here for a couple of days though as ordered from amazon as I had a voucher). Not too sure on the Singleplayer - getting a bit tired of MC, but the recent Giant Bomb halo 1-3 marathon did make me more interested again...

Still really like the Reach story specifically because it wasn't MC and it wasn't a win situation...

But, buying mainly for multiplayer/co-op which should be solid! :)
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Very happy with the LE version of Halo 4, some really good stuff in there!
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

NokkonWud wrote:Very happy with the LE version of Halo 4, some really good stuff in there!
:'(
Really wanted the limited edition, but I'm dirt poor at the moment.
I'm hoping that in a few months I'll find a copy going for cheap.

What goodies did you get?
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

"GAME_Canterbury: Get down to our midnight opening tonight for #Halo 4 where we have exclusive offers and an extremely special guest!!"

I'm going to have to go now to find out who/what it is. I hope it's a dude is a MC costume.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

RoboticMonk3y wrote:
NokkonWud wrote:Very happy with the LE version of Halo 4, some really good stuff in there!
:'(
Really wanted the limited edition, but I'm dirt poor at the moment.
I'm hoping that in a few months I'll find a copy going for cheap.

What goodies did you get?
[img]http://i.imgur.com/rf1nr.jpg[/img]
These are the things in it.
It's lovely.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Yeah I'm happy with the Limited Edition, it's very nice indeed. Played the first Mission on Campaign, if it keeps the quality up i'd say the series is in safe hands with 343. Hopefully the multiplayer will be a big time sink :D
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Played an hour of Team Slayer with randoms, it's definitely got that "one more go" factor. Enjoyed shotgun-ing two people in the face to win a match.