All things Halo

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
NokkonWud

Re: Halo 4

Post by NokkonWud »

ADS?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Just for shits and giggles, here's all the Halo games and their respective MetaScores:

Combat Evolved: 97
2: 95
3: 94
Reach: 91
4: 87
ODST: 83
CE Anniversary: 82
Kayin Amoh

Post by Kayin Amoh »

It doesn't really kick off till chapter 3. The first two chapters are simply 343 showing that they can do a Halo game - the chapter afterwards, though it's all I've got up to, is them showing that they can do even better.

Edit: Yes, those metacritic scores are about what I'd expect from metacritic all right.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

You peoples playing Normal/Heroic/Ledge?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Kayin Amoh wrote:Edit: Yes, those metacritic scores are about what I'd expect from metacritic all right.
Don't blame the aggregator!

I quote these not as a buyers guide but to challenge the perception that Halo 4 is being raved about universally by critics. Halos 1, 2 and 3 were, whereas this is scoring well by and large but only a few percent above the oft-maligned ODST.
Sean

Post by Sean »

NokkonWud wrote:ADS?

Aim down sights. Not a knock against the game at all, as, that's what Halo's always been. It's just always been the barrier between me and Halo MP. Never a problem in SP for me because the enemies don't jump around like lunatics as people do in MP. I played a few matches last night and *maybe* got like 3 or 4 kills.
Sean

Post by Sean »

ratsoalbion wrote:You peoples playing Normal/Heroic/Ledge?
Played the first chapter on Heroic, but, died way too much in the second chapter, so, brought it down to normal.

I'm also playing by myself, so, that might have something to do with it.

I might ALSO be a total wuss.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

For me, ever since CE, the Halos has always been Heroic on single player and Legendary on co-op. That just seems like the sweet spot for difficulty for me.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Dante Fireseed wrote:For me, ever since CE, the Halos has always been Heroic on single player and Legendary on co-op. That just seems like the sweet spot for difficulty for me.
^^ this
The difficulty went down the more people you had.
I've found that to be slightly different in this game though. I've been playing through on heroic with 2 other people and it's pretty brutal!
Kayin Amoh

Post by Kayin Amoh »

ratsoalbion wrote:
Kayin Amoh wrote:Edit: Yes, those metacritic scores are about what I'd expect from metacritic all right.
Don't blame the aggregator!

I quote these not as a buyers guide but to challenge the perception that Halo 4 is being raved about universally by critics. Halos 1, 2 and 3 were, whereas this is scoring well by and large but only a few percent above the oft-maligned ODST.
And ODST was excellent.

Besides, the 20/100 review took it down a notch. I don't mind where it ends up on the scale, but looking at pretty much anything on Metacritic often simply leaves me with a profound sense of overwhelming sadness.
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

I have a mixed view of metacritic.

I am a fan of so called "big data", and the idea of extrapolating information by aggregating data from multiple sources. Metacritic is actually pretty sophisticated and factors in reliability and deviations in its scores to eliminate rogue ratings like 2/10.

However, I don't like what this data has been used for by the industry; it has lead to even more low risk projects getting the Greenlight for fear of below par meta ratings.

It's not the service or data itself; but how it is interpreted by a human.

(See this excellent article on data and the arts http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture-profe ... n-open-art)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I agree for the most part, although I also have mixed feelings about MetaCritic's weighting algorithms. A 'rogue' rating or the opinion of a smaller site whose score impacts the MetaScore less may be the one that I most agree with. I prefer Game Rankings' pure mean average, although they take fewer organs into account. Perhaps MetaCritic should take things further and have their scores degrade with time...

The concept of an average review score is absurd. In fact the concept of the review score for a piece of entertainment (and/or art) is absurd (hence we don't use them on C&R). However, conflictingly, I also enjoy stats and data.
DomsBeard

Re: Halo - All of it

Post by DomsBeard »

I've never been onto meta critics website. I trust the publication I read and they're normally spot on plus with demos and such you can pretty much make your own mind up nowadays.

Just saw the trailer before Skyfall, it makes me want the game now so fair play to them for a good ad!
Leg of Time

Post by Leg of Time »

Just finished Halo 4 story, I liked it overall but IMO not as good as CE, ODST or Reach. It had it's moments (mission 1 & missions 4-6 were excellent) but not enough to tip it over the other games for me. But especially liked the Infinity missions.

Thought the cutscenes were very well done, nice graphically and had some nice cinematography.

I think the main problem I have with the game is that it's Master Chief again, getting a bit tired of his character and overarching storyline. Much prefer ODST and Reach as they were so different in terms of story and player character.

Multiplayer - only played one game (which I won :D), first impressions are that there are some nice refinements and it was just fun (not very descriptive but hard to explain differently)... Mechanics just make it something special with I don't think many other games can beat.

Music - liked it, especially the piano bits. Again, think Reach/ODST was better. But may change with more listening.
Leg of Time

Post by Leg of Time »

Also, may be a problem with my enjoyment of the story is I watched Forward Unto Dawn just before starting and that though that was excellent!

More akin to ODST in terms of feel, so perfect for me. But may have detracted a bit from 4.
Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex »

I think the story and single player are tired A to B jaunts which lack imagination. It's really dissapointing after Reach, whose story, locations and characters I still remember.

At least the multi is the dogs.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

I had my first go at multiplayer last night and I was a bit disappointed.
I was playing slayer, and found that my first game went well. I noted that one of our players dropped out and within a few moments, another player was dropped in. But the game felt somewhat lacking. The guns I had didn't really seem to do much in the way of damage, and I found I was getting picked off by people with much better guns than me.

Then I dropped into big team slayer and it clicked.
Once I'd got myself some perks and better weapons, I found it much easier to hold my own. I'm also loving playing on Valhalla again!
I think really I would have found it a bit easier if I'd got myself up to level 10 by playing Spartan ops before jumping into Slayer.

I couldn't decide between the DMR and the BR.
The BR felt a bit more useful for running and gunning, but was absolutely trumped by the DMR. I was able to pick people off with headshots really well with the DMR.

I'm a little confused by matchmaking too, and not really too sure what to make of it. The design of matchmaking didn't really change though all of the halo games. It worked really well and it was easy to see your group and what game you were, jumping into and out of menus seems to me a bit like a bit too much style over substance. Having a whole line of player cards all stacked across each other just looks a bit cluttered. I also think that the scoreboard you're shown at the end of the game (or by holding the back button) looks like a menu screen from an amiga game.

I'm pushing slowly through the Campaign, I like how they tie in Forward unto dawn rather neatly. I've noticed quite a lot of glitch behaviour though. I've been re-spawned knee deep in landscape and been unable to move a few times. I've also been pushed out of the map more than once, and fallen into the skybox.

All minor niggles, and I'm sure within a month I'll have forgotten what went before...
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

I shall dispense with words or scores.

IMHO
[img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/09/vuvahyma.jpg[/img]
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

love the chart! :)
what scale did you use? was it rated in awesomeness units or standard metric levels of funsies?
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

Satisfaction but my scale is secret sauce and relative ;)