Other Places

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
brutaldeluxe09

Other Places

Post by brutaldeluxe09 »

has anybody seen the work of Other Places? http://www.otherplaces.co.uk

I have recently been thinking about exactly this idea, taking the great landscapes and environments from games and turning them into ambient visual soundscapes and it seems as though not only has somebody beaten me to it, they have done a much better job than I ever could, damn it, I had even recently bought a capture card and had recorded a few of the games they've featured, sat on hard drive waiting for an edit.

Does anybody know how they have managed to frame these shots so well with no HUD or central characters?
dezm0nd

Re: Other Places

Post by dezm0nd »

I suspect they're using PC games in which you can dick about with the settings in the games console. god_mode, remove_hud etc would make this stuff happen. It's a brilliant idea, just a shame you weren't there already, bruv ;)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Do it anyway!
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

Love these vids, ive been subbed to Andy Kellys Youtube channel since he started it. Been a fan of his freelance video games reviews aswell, since, way back in 2007/8 when he worked for PSM magazine with Dan Dawkins & Andy Hartup. Hes also a mate of the Midnight Resistance duo of Sean Bell & sometimes Cane & Rinser Andi Hamilton & was on the podcast with them a couple of times. I take it these are Andy's vids, cause if they're not, some dude has stolen the idea & made my stalkerish knowledge of Andy look somewhat foolish.
Some really atmospheric shots in these beautiful game environments though.
brutaldeluxe09

Post by brutaldeluxe09 »

dezm0nd wrote:I suspect they're using PC games in which you can dick about with the settings in the games console. god_mode, remove_hud etc would make this stuff happen. It's a brilliant idea, just a shame you weren't there already, bruv ;)
I thought that initially and then saw Red Dead Redemption on there so I'm staggered at how he has accomplished this so well without relying solely on cutscenes. Having tried to do this recently with the first Assassins Creed game on PS3 it took me hours to get just a few minutes worth of footage that was worthy.
brutaldeluxe09

Post by brutaldeluxe09 »

Indiana747 wrote:Love these vids, ive been subbed to Andy Kellys Youtube channel since he started it. Been a fan of his freelance video games reviews aswell, since, way back in 2007/8 when he worked for PSM magazine with Dan Dawkins & Andy Hartup. Hes also a mate of the Midnight Resistance duo of Sean Bell & sometimes Cane & Rinser Andi Hamilton & was on the podcast with them a couple of times. I take it these are Andy's vids, cause if they're not, some dude has stolen the idea & made my stalkerish knowledge of Andy look somewhat foolish.
Some really atmospheric shots in these beautiful game environments though.
ah thanks for the info, I must try and track down some more of this chaps work as it's very much to my tastes.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

You can follow him on twitter @Ultrabrilliant
UtterBiblio

Post by UtterBiblio »

Yeah, that is Andy's website. He's been doing it for a while, some of the art on there is stunning.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

This is a really cool idea, the videos are stunning.
I also had no idea Take on Mars happened. Going to investigate that one further!