Rare Replay

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
dezm0nd

Rare Replay

Post by dezm0nd »

A brand new trailer showcasing the introduction to Rare Replay just went up on YouTube. I thought I couldn't be more excited about it but here I am, foaming at the mouth for it.

Electric Crocosaurus

Re: Rare Replay

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

Haha, what a great trailer / intro. It reminded me a bit of the titles for Looney Toon Adventures
Lego Solo

Post by Lego Solo »

I just had happy flashbacks to a delightfully innocent childhood. Beautiful.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I never really played any of these games aside from a little Conkers on the N64, so I don't have any nostalgic feeling towards this collection - but what a fantastic trailer! I can imagine how excited any Rare fans would be!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I am absolutely in favour of using musical numbers to promote games.

Hearthstone's been doing it since Goblins vs Gnomes last year...
Spoiler: show

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I'm looking to build a long running thread with this here Rare Replay. From leaderboards to sharing, add dezm0nd to your Xbox One friends list and we'll share scores/vehicles/stories. I really don't remember much about the Ultimate stuff so it's going to be a proper lesson for me to go back and play those games.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Almost makes me want to get a Xbox One. I've checked the list and was suprised that I have owned/played 17 of them without realising. I'd played all the early ones on my Spectrum +2.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Is this planned to be an Xbox exclusive, does anyone know?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I guess there's a slim chance of a PC release at some point. But don't expect to see it on Sony hardware, Rare are owned by Microsoft.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I can't see a PC version happening, sadly. I'd like to be proven wrong as it could potentially sell loads if they put it on Steam.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Really looking forward to this, almost convinced I'll play each game for 5 minutes before putting it to rest for a long while but right now I'm excited. Probably been asked before but are we looking at Microsoft versions of the classics where applicable or do we get both?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Jetpac 1983
Atic Atac 1983
Lunar Jetman 1983
Sabre Wulf 1984
Underwurlde 1984
Knight Lore 1984
Gunfright 1985
Slalom 1986
R.C. Pro-Am 1987
Cobra Triangle 1989
Snake Rattle 'n' Roll 1990
Digger T. Rock: Legend of the Lost City 1990
Solar Jetman: Hunt for the Golden Warpship 1990
Battletoads 1991
R.C. Pro-Am II 1992
Battletoads Arcade 1994
Killer Instinct Gold 1996
Blast Corps 1997
Banjo-Kazooie 1998
Jet Force Gemini 1999
Perfect Dark 2000
Banjo-Tooie 2000
Conker's Bad Fur Day 2001
Grabbed by the Ghoulies 2003
Perfect Dark Zero 2005
Kameo: Elements of Power 2005
Viva Piñata 2006
Jetpac Refuelled 2006
Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise 2008
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts 2008

Emulation of Spectrum, NES, N64, arcade as you'd expect, but the versions of B-K, B-T and PD will be the exact same code (even sharing Achievements, as per the 360 exclusive games) with the existing 360 XLA versions as I understand it. I don't believe that it will be possible to play the 'vanilla' N64 ROMs of those titles, despite the presence of Blast Corps and JFG. Having said that I believe it is the N64 version of CBFD that we're getting rather than Live and Reloaded.

Unless someone more clued-up can tell us otherwise?
fieldy

Post by fieldy »

really looking forward to this, especially the old N64 titles, Jet force Gemini and and blast corps in particular :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I also assume that emulated N64 stuff will have at least the option of a smooth (60fps?) frame-rate.

It will be a fun and authentic curio if they've left in the option to simulate the original clock speed though..!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

The games in the collection which are already out on the Xbox 360 market do not feature in the Rare Replay achievement list. (BK, BT, N&B, PD, PDZ, Kameo, Viva 1 & 2)

They exist purely as they did on Xbox 360 but running in backwards compatibility mode on Xbox One.

They will play in Rare Replay as normal but pull from achievements/saves from previous history with the game(s). They won't have original ROMs to play.

Blast Corps, Conkers Bad Fur Day and JFG will have a similar treatment done to them ala 4J Studios and Banjo Kazooie/Tooie with swanky hi-resolution visuals and smoother framerates. The decision to not include Live & Reloaded was made because they felt the original game represent the game better.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

dezm0nd wrote:Blast Corps, Conkers Bad Fur Day and JFG will have a similar treatment done to them ala 4J Studios and Banjo Kazooie/Tooie with swanky hi-resolution visuals and smoother framerates.
Ah, didn't realise this. Fabulous.
fieldy

Post by fieldy »

that is good news indeed, no slow down when shooting multiple giant ants with a machine gun then ;)
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Here's a screenshot they released. JFG with the "widescreen option" turned on.

It's a bit unclear what games do what in terms of upgrading them for modern machines but the wikipedia page mentions this...
Some older games have an option to add the appearance of scanlines by clicking the right analog stick, or an option to "rewind" progress in the game
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I've ordered my copy from Amazon for £17.99. RIDICLEEOUS!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Aye man, it's even cheaper than that on most sites. It's something they could easily charge full whack for which makes it more of mending the brand image going forward. It was the perfect storm for them at E3. A collection of classics for cheap, coming real soon and a brand new IP which looks promising.