De-makes (inspired by an interesting find!)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

De-makes (inspired by an interesting find!)

Post by Alex79 »

Whilst searching for something entirely unrelated, I stumbled across a version of Final Fantasy VII remade entirely for the NES. Check this out :

That's not a technical demo. That's a complete and fully playable version of the game - for the NES! This absolutely blows my mind! The work that must have gone in to this is incredible. I love this game, and whilst I know full well I'm not going to sit through the whole game in this fashion (although I am considering a replay of the original but cane decide whether to wait for the remake ((modern remake)) or not) I will definitely be spending a couple of nostalgia filled hours with it.

I was just amazed by this.

So anyway, to make a thread out of it - anyone came across any other interesting de-makes of games for systems they were never supposed to be played on?
stvnorman

Re: De-makes (inspired by an interesting find!)

Post by stvnorman »

That's really cool. I remember reading about a text adventure version of God of War, but my favourite is Doom on the VIC20. Yes, it looks dreadful, but it's a real technical achievement given the limitations of the machine. You can see it here: http://youtu.be/Y7h3H-_8N_o
zen_anarchy

Post by zen_anarchy »

the ASCII portal demake game is actually pretty cool manages to stay very true to the gameplay mechanics and style of the original game , well worth playing but not sure where you can find it nowadays online. played it a few years back on my gp2x caanoo as a freeware title think its been ported to mobile phones so most likely on android or ios.

oh and the famous Atari 2600 halo demake is funny but doesn't look too fun to play from what I've seen of it.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I really liked this cute remake of Team Fortress 2 into a pixel art side-scroller...
http://www.ganggarrison.com/
brutaldeluxe09

Post by brutaldeluxe09 »

stvnorman wrote:That's really cool. I remember reading about a text adventure version of God of War, but my favourite is Doom on the VIC20. Yes, it looks dreadful, but it's a real technical achievement given the limitations of the machine. You can see it here: http://youtu.be/Y7h3H-_8N_o
that is absolutely nuts, thanks for the link, loved it.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Astonishing coding skills.