All things Fallout

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: All things Fallout

Post by Flabyo »

i am now having endless fun making all my companions wear sparkly evening dresses.

I am easily amused.
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

Combine Hunter wrote:If you choose to play as a lady, you're treated to a much better vocal performance.
Yep, I went for a lady. In fact, I went for an hispanic lady in order to have a nice break from playing a white man in a game. The voice artist does a decent enough job, but to be honest I'm always taken out of the game by the conversations because the animation is so stilted. It's a big problem for the game, because talking to people and ranking up my charisma level tends to be my preferred play method in these open world games.

Still, I agree with what Josh said about the art design of the game. It is 'beautiful', and can be added the great open-world vistas of San Andreas, Skyrim and Halo in the annals of video game history.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Flabyo wrote:i am now having endless fun making all my companions wear sparkly evening dresses.

I am easily amused.
Hang on, you can change their outfits? I must know how.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Talk to the companion, select trade.
Give them what you want them to wear.
On their side of the trade screen, highlight the item you've given them then press the button for equip (I think it's y on the xbo, but it's labelled on screen)

Not everyone is willing to change clothes.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Aw man, beautiful.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Not my video, but I've had things like this happen at least three times already...

Lego Solo

Post by Lego Solo »

Haha cool.
Ghost World

Post by Ghost World »

I'm around 12 hours in and I'm enjoying it but not loving it.

The world, quest structure and look of the game feel very much like we've seen this all before in fact bar the fairly rudimentary base building mechanic you could be forgiven for thinking you had turned on Fallout 3 by mistake!

Fallout 3 felt brave but this feels super safe which is fine but I can't help but think I should have started the Wither 3, MGSV or even Mad Max for a more involved experience, It's less that Fallout 4 is a bad game more that in the time it's taken it to be made open world games have evolved leaving this feeling stale, still I reckon that I'm going to be dropping 80+ hours into this adventure so there's plenty of time for things to improve and wow me or at the very least meet my expectations.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It's an odd one and no mistake. There's an awful lot of *stuff* in there, and I'm enjoying that aspect of it a lot, but it doesn't feel very 2015 to me.

It hasn't the depth and character of Witcher 3, and it doesn't have the polish of Mad Max. But I'm still playing the crap out of it.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

I'm roughly at about the same time invested but it's certainly a grower. Had a moment earlier today where I'm sure that if I didn't have other stuff to do I could've just sat there forever, I did share that opinion for a good number of hours though.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I find Boston far more oppressive than Fallout 3. There's always Raiders/Super Mutants nearby and I've discovered several interesting locals. Still early days but I see it as putting on a new pair of much loved slippers.

Slight personal disappointment that
Spoiler: show
the super mutant companion is dull and I disliked immediately but Fawkes was always going to be a tough act to follow
It's an upgrade on 3. I see Witcher 3 getting lots of praise but that had several issues at launch which put me off (2 minute plus load screens, broken quests), several GB and over 10 updates later it's where it is now which from watching my wife play it most nights looks great. I wonder where Fallout 4 will be after that length of time?.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Fallout: New Vegas

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can write up your thoughts and opinions for Obsidian Entertainment's - Fallout: New Vegas.
Sean

Post by Sean »

I'm surprised to find people struggling with this one. I can't stop playing it. Already at about 60 hours and there's so much left. There have just been so many of those Bethesda moments, for me. Looking in the distance, thinking "huh, what's that?" and then I'm being told a new story for a brief amount of time that this new quest takes. I don't really get that from any other RPG out there, and, I've found it in droves with Fallout 4.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Ghost World wrote:
The world, quest structure and look of the game feel very much like we've seen this all before in fact bar the fairly rudimentary base building mechanic you could be forgiven for thinking you had turned on Fallout 3 by mistake!
I really struggle with this criticism of Fallout 4. I think Fallout 4 plays and feels like how people remember Fallout 3 playing and feeling, because they haven't revisited that game very recently. There are TONS of small changes, that end up feeling like a big change to me. Plus the art direction is a HUGE improvement in my books.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I guess in this respect it'll be interesting for Cane and Rinse folks to go back to New Vegas for the podcast after having played 4.
Beck

Post by Beck »

I'm enjoying fallout 4, in fact I'm really enjoying fallout 4, it's really fun. I'm at the 25 hour mark but I don’t feel like I have touched much of the content, I have been focusing on side quests and misc objectives rather than the story as I've not found the main story that interesting so far. I’ve been focusing on the Minutemen and Brotherhood quest lines, normally until they become too difficult before doing some side quests to level up, it is really easy to get distracted though. I love the radio thing, being able to navigate to points of interest via radio broadcasts that are in your proximity of is a brilliant idea. It has encouraged me to travel to the next objectives by foot and to explore on the way rather than fast travelling.

I was a little disappointed with the exit from the vault, it just felt empty in comparison to 3 and even Skyrim. I remember a strong feeling of both excitement and caution in fallout 3, maybe those emotions were not present in fallout 4 because fallout 3 was my first fallout games and I didn’t know what to expect. It didn’t help seeing the exit of the vault scenes in the E3 announcement footage. I also found the area around the vault seems a little thin, maybe it’s designed to be that way but it had me worried to begin with, I kept bumping into settlements but the people there had no interaction options which was odd. Thankfully the world has become more interesting as I have moved further south, I have had many random encounters, maybe a little too many, it is very easy to be distracted but that’s why I love fallout.

On another point, I have a friend who is really big into Bethesda games and I was quite shocked when he told me that he really isn’t enjoying fallout 4. His main gripe with the game is the addition of voice acting from the vault dweller has decreased the dialogue options and your interaction with the world. I can see his point as a lot of the options that you can pick have the same response from NPC’s or don’t do anything. For example he met an old brotherhood of steel soilder who went into hiding, the majority of the dialogue options that you are given give you exactly the same response from the NPC. You are given several different persuasion options that require different perks to achieve, even if you do achieve those perks the responses from the NPC are the same.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Still brilliant, I have a companion I like
Spoiler: show
Curie
and level 17. Don't know how long I've been playing but it feels like 5 minutes.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

My only negative is the speech options are not clear enough. I thought I was trying to barter with a trader to get lower prices but instead "give me all your caps before I kill you" came out instead so she did and now ignores me/won't trade with me.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

DomsBeard wrote:My only negative is the speech options are not clear enough. I thought I was trying to barter with a trader to get lower prices but instead "give me all your caps before I kill you" came out instead so she did and now ignores me/won't trade with me.
Yeah, there's a mod for the PC version which fixes this by showing the text exactly as it will be spoken.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Well hopefully that'll arrive on ps4 soon