Games for my mum!

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
AlexMaskill

Games for my mum!

Post by AlexMaskill »

Hi all,

My mum's just gone through pretty heavy surgery and is going to be off her feet for the next few weeks. I've hooked my PS3 up to her bedroom TV just as a Netflix box, but she's curious about playing some games and is asking after whether there's anything she should play.

And I'm suddenly super aware that basically everything I have on the PS3 is adolescent nonsense, miserable and violent, or both.

So I'm stocking up on games she might like - games that aren't so aggressively "90's Image Comic" or otherwise that a proper adult who didn't grow up playing games might like. So far I picked up Journey, The Unfinished Swan and the Game of Thrones Telltale series in the big Black Friday sale, and I'm curious for other suggestions.

Requirements:
- Subject matter an actual adult who hasn't been immersed in nerd culture for decades won't be alienated by.
- A lack of gameplay focus on violence.
- Ideally, a simple control scheme (she's still figuring out 3D navigation)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Games for my mum!

Post by ratsoalbion »

Flower
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Braid.

Shatter. (Old PSN title, basically a souped-up Arkanoid)

Rayman Origins/Legends.

Not really 'adult' games, but easy controls and not difficult to get the hang of. Do you have access to an iPad or other tablet? The Room games would probably go down well too.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Picross on the DS is about all my mum wanted to play. That's not to say that all mums are the same but hey, who doesn't love Picross! :D
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Journey is a pretty good mom game I would say , other then that Amanita's games might be up her alley they are very simple adventure games with a great artstyle and sense of humor and I think both Machinarium and Botanicula are on PS3,Thomas was Alone is also pretty good choice it's simple to control and the narration is pretty gripping.
AlexMaskill

Post by AlexMaskill »

dezm0nd wrote:Picross on the DS is about all my mum wanted to play. That's not to say that all mums are the same but hey, who doesn't love Picross! :D
This is actually a solid plan just because I already own every available Picross game as far as I know. More than enough to get her through the recuperation process!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Lovely! Also, there's a "free-to-start" Pokemon themed picross game for 3DS if she wants something with, I dunno, Pikachu on it? :)

Best wishes for your mother! :)
AlexMaskill

Post by AlexMaskill »

dezm0nd wrote:Lovely! Also, there's a "free-to-start" Pokemon themed picross game for 3DS if she wants something with, I dunno, Pikachu on it? :)

Best wishes for your mother! :)
Oh god, can I really not just pay outright to get a regular premium-price experience? Pokemon Picross sounds awesome but I'm so sick of the licence being used on nickel-and-dime bullshit (see also: Pokemon Shuffle).

And I'll pass that along!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I'm not entirely sure how it works, to be honest. I do appreciate Nintendo's honesty with the "free-to-start" label they've coined but I can't see it being any different. Obviously the model works as they wouldn't keep doing it and i'm much more inclined to download it just to see what it's like because it is a free download.

Hopefully it's not a place to feel ripped off like most F2P games do.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Brothers would be good.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It crossed my mind too but I think the twin-analogue/two characters thing might be baffling.
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

Thomas Was Alone is not very challenging and tells a good story. Depending on how much she likes darker subject matter, I thought Valiant Hearts was really good (my wife, who doesn't like games at all, found that one really engaging). Lastly, I feel like the LittleBigPlanet games don't require high levels of player skill.

Hope your mom feels better soon!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Dark Souls?
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

My mum has really enjoyed the Professor Layton games on DS. Simple to control, fun puzzles, good stories. After buying them for her I actually got into them as well!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Alex79uk wrote:Dark Souls?
That's usually a reply for most videogame questions, it seems but probably not this one! ;)
AlexMaskill

Post by AlexMaskill »

dezm0nd wrote:
That's usually a reply for most videogame questions, it seems but probably not this one! ;)
"Y'see Mum, the idea is that you play this over and over until Stockholm Syndrome convinces you that you're having fun."
ultraviolet

Post by ultraviolet »

give 'Killer 7' a go

oh, wrong console :-)
zen_anarchy

Post by zen_anarchy »

AlexMaskill wrote:
dezm0nd wrote:
"Y'see Mum, the idea is that you play this over and over until Stockholm Syndrome convinces you that you're having fun."
just tell her to "Git Gud" ;)

on a serious note maybe heavy rain, LA noire, silent hill HD collection, final fantasy 13 or one of its spin offs or one of the other telltale games like the wolf among us
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

I reckon The Unfinished Swan may be one worth considering too.
LaikaMuttnik

Post by LaikaMuttnik »

Unfinished Swan, Flower, Journey, Machinarium.

Hope your mum gets well soon (and enjoys the games while recovering)! :)