Games completed 2016

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Games completed 2016

Post by Alex79 »

Glad you enjoyed, total masterpiece. And the best video game boss ever in The End.
MagicianArcana

Post by MagicianArcana »

I see some of you are keeping track of what games you've completed this year with a running list. I'm gonna look at my previous posts and try to make a list as well because I'd also like to keep track. I didn't post about every game I completed so I'm gonna do my best to recall what other games I beat and when I beat them.
Spoiler: show
Jan 6 - Psychonauts
Jan 13 - GTA V
Jan 21 - Hotel Dusk
Apr 22 - Sonic Lost World
July 1 - Fragile Dreams
Sept 15 - Tales of Zestiria
Oct 22 - Last Window
I recently finished Last Window, the sequel to Hotel Dusk. I don't think I enjoyed it as much as Hotel Dusk, but I definitely thought it was pretty good. Definitely a worthwhile game in my opinion. Now I'm moving on to Chase: Cold Case Investigations. And eventually I want to play Trace Memory which is also on my backlog.

Tales of Zestiria is another game I completed recently. I really enjoyed it, and I think it's tied with Tales of the Abyss for my favorite game in the series. It was a pretty decent departure from the typical JRPG formula in a few aspects and that's something I really appreciate. The combat system is also my favorite in the series. And around the end of the game, the story took me on an emotional rollercoaster. Another experience that will stick with me. The negative fan response confuses me a little bit. I understand the criticisms about the camera, but I other than that, I don't think it was a massively flawed game in terms of the mechanics. But hey, I've become a firm believer in notion that reviews are opinions and no game is objectively good or bad. :)
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

Alex79uk wrote:Glad you enjoyed, total masterpiece. And the best video game boss ever in The End.
I completely agree! The End was a great boss battle, but...
I almost missed it completely! I started the fight but had to stop playing. I saved the game, came back about a week later and a cutscene played showing that he had died of old age while I was away!!!!! I had heard this was a great boss fight so I was pretty pissed. Luckily I was able to change the Vita's clock, reload the save and play the fight as intended.
I haven't been as in love with the series as a lot of people are, but it's moments like that where I understand why people think Kojima is the best.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

gallo_pinto wrote: I completely agree! The End was a great boss battle, but...
I almost missed it completely! I started the fight but had to stop playing. I saved the game, came back about a week later and a cutscene played showing that he had died of old age while I was away!!!!! I had heard this was a great boss fight so I was pretty pissed. Luckily I was able to change the Vita's clock, reload the save and play the fight as intended.
I haven't been as in love with the series as a lot of people are, but it's moments like that where I understand why people think Kojima is the best.
YES! Hahaha that's the stuff,that more then 10 years later new players can still be suprised by stuff like that is what makes these games so special :D
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah that's pretty funny. I'm sure I saved during the fight, and came back to it later and I'd been captured!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

03 Jan: Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES on WU)
17 Jan: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES on WU)
24 Jan: Crash Team Racing (PS1 on Vita)
25 Jan: Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX - World Tour Mode (PSP on Vita)
07 Feb: Until Dawn (PS4)
21 Feb: DOOM (360)
24 Feb: DOOM II: Hell on Earth (360)
02 Mar: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (GBC on N3DS)
26 Mar: DOOM 3 (PC)
28 Mar: DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil (PC)
08 Apr: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (N3DS)
02 May: 3D Gunstar Heroes (N3DS)
02 May: My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (N3DS)
12 May: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (N3DS)
28 May: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (GBC on N3DS)
17 Jun: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (GBC on N3DS)
01 Jul: Street Fighter V: (PS4)
02 Jul: INSIDE (XO)
13 Jul: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (WU)
14 Jul: Rogue Legacy (PS4)
15 Jul: The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth (PS4)
11 Aug: Grand Theft Auto V (PS4)
09 Sep: Steel Empire (3DS)
09 Sep: The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA on WU)
08 Oct: Unravel (XO)
13 Oct: Rez Infinite (PS4)
14 Oct: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (WU)
25 Oct: Undertale (PC)
I didn't enjoy the first half of this game much at all, but warmed to it somewhat over the second half. I got (one of) the normal ending(s), as is only proper on one's first playthrough. If we ever decide to podcast about the game I will return and do the Pacifism and Genocide runs.
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

ratsoalbion wrote:25 Oct: Undertale (PC)
I didn't enjoy the first half of this game much at all, but warmed to it somewhat over the second half. I got (one of) the normal ending(s), as is only proper on one's first playthrough. If we ever decide to podcast about the game I will return and do the Pacifism and Genocide runs.
Personally, I'd highly recommend you go ahead and do the Pacifism run now. I don't think Undertale is meant to be like Mass Effect or Heavy Rain where your playthrough is your playthrough. I think it's meant to be played through twice. Once is to figure out what the world is and how all of the mechanics work, giving you one of the many "normal" endings. Then you play it a second time going for Pacifist ending and that is where all of the narrative power and character arcs come from.

I'm only suggesting this because after finishing my first playthrough, I thought the game was fine, but nothing all that special. After playing it a second time through on a Pacifist run, I completely got it. It's currently the best game I've played this year. Rather than view it as a 4-6 hour game, I think it's more enjoyable to play it as a 8-12 hour game where you play through it twice. Just a suggestion since I wouldn't have liked the game that much if I'd only gotten a normal ending.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I hear you, I have read similar elsewhere.
In a way this makes the game an interesting talking point in itself. In that, I've played the game for 6-7 hours and was glad to get it done in the end.

I found the first half aggravatingly boring but warmed to it enough throughout the second half to feel slightly more positively disposed towards it. However I still wasn't won over by the writing or the humour.

Now, I am told that another play-through may improve my opinion of the game further, but I have hundreds of other uncompleted games that I would very much like to find the time to move onto.
However, by not returning to - and spending another 5 or 6 hours on - a game which I didn't rate that highly, I might be denying myself the chance to like it more.

:?:

Addendum: I almost played it as a pacifist on this play-through - I think I only killed three monsters, all bosses. So I already understand how that mechanic works.
I'm tempted just to watch the other endings on YouTube at this point, but play the game through twice more if we Cane and Rinse it.

I picked Undertale to play because, of all the titles in my backlog, it had the highest average review score. Pretty impressive really but I still find myself somewhat mystified by that!
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

ratsoalbion wrote:I picked Undertale to play because, of all the titles in my backlog, it had the highest average review score. Pretty impressive really but I still find myself somewhat mystified by that!
I completely understand where you're coming from and why you'd want to clear more games from you're backlog. But I don't think you'd be mystified by the average review score if you did the pacifist run. I think that's where most of the Undertale love comes from. But I know there are still a lot of Zelda games to get through!
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

Jan - Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (PS3)
Jan - Escape Plan (Vita)
Jan - That Dragon, Cancer (Mac)
Jan - Super Time Force Ultra (Vita)
Jan - Three Fourths Home (Mac)
Jan - A Bird Story (Mac)
Feb - Super Meat Boy (Vita)
Feb - Bastion (Vita)
Feb - Undertale (Mac)
Feb - Zelda: Link’s Awakening DX (Gameboy Color via 3DS)
Feb - Yo-Kai Watch (3DS)
Mar - Super Mario Bros 2 (NES via 3DS)
Mar - Metal Gear (MSX via Vita)
Mar - Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (MSX via Vita)
Mar - Metal Gear Solid (PS1 via Vita)
Mar - Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2 via Vita)
Apr - Out Run (Genesis via 3DS)
Apr - Streets of Rage (Genesis via 3DS)
Apr - Zelda: Oracle of Ages (Gameboy Color via 3DS)
Apr - Super Mario Bros 3 (NES via 3DS)
Apr - SteamWorld Heist (3DS)
Apr - Gunstar Heroes (Genesis via 3DS)
Apr - Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis via 3DS)
May - Metroid (NES via 3DS)
May - Kirby’s Dream Land (Gameboy via 3DS)
May - Super Mario Land (Gameboy via 3DS)
May - Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Gameboy Color via 3DS)
May - Metroid II: The Return of Samus (Gameboy via 3DS)
May - New Super Mario Bros 2 (3DS)
May - Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis via Vita)
May - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis via Vita)
June - Volume (Vita)
June - Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii-Replay)
July - Mutant Blobs Attack (Vita)
July - 80 Days (Mac)
July - Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty (Vita)
July - Streets of Rage 3 (Genesis)
July - Felix the Cat (NES)
July - Kirby’s Adventure (NES)
July - Super Mario World (SNES via Wii)
July - Fez (Vita)
July - Star Fox (SNES via Wii)
July - Luigi’s Mansion (Gamecube)
Aug - Severed (Vita)
Aug - Guacamelee (Vita-Replay)
Aug - Aladdin (Genesis)
Aug - Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (Genesis)
Aug - Kirby’s Pinball Land (Gameboy)
Sep - BOXBOXBOY! (3DS)
Sep - The Room (iPad)
Sep - Zelda: The Minish Cap (Gameboy Advance)
Sep - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island (SNES)
Oct - Super Mario Sunshine (Gamecube)
Oct - Little Inferno (iPad)
Oct - Prune (iPad)
Oct - Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2 via Vita)
Oct - Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Gameboy via 3DS)

Pretty short, not very challenging and extremely charming. The levels were themed and creative. The clockwork Mario level was particularly cute. And the rabbit ears power up was great! I'm glad the game wasn't that hard because I don't think it controls quite as well as other Marios. Thumbs up on this one.
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

10/2 MGS V
18/2 Uncharted - easy
26/2 Majoras mask
7/3 Uncharted 2 - Normal
23/3 Uncharted 3 - Normal
14/6 Gone home
7/7 X-com enemy within iOS - normal
10/7 80 Days
29/7 Dark Souls 3
14/9 Journey
30/9 Tearaway : Unfolded

26/10 Day of the tentacle

Ever since I saw the big cd rom box with its iconic box art I have wanted to play this. Now I have I loved it, more so than monkey island I think. Would love to see the characters again!
eastmcduck

Post by eastmcduck »

Been a bit of a pitiful year for me. I've played quite a few games, but haven't completed many. Only two I can think of off the top of my head, besides a few VR experiences and classics that I've beat countless times, are Metal Gear Solid 5 and Fallout 4. I loved every minute of Fallout 4, save the handful of times where I had a progress losing crash back to the desktop. Actually started another playthrough of Fallout recently because I splurged on a GTX 1080. I must say, the difference between the 650 Ti I was running previously and the GTX 1080 is absolutely magnificent. I had to keep everything on low with the 650 and barely got 30 FPS in some areas. This GTX 1080 is remarkable, though. Everything maxed out and getting a consistent 60 FPS at 1080p. This was the first Fallout game I've played for more than a couple hours, too, actually. I tried 3 when it came out and didn't hate it by any means, but the fact that you couldn't move very fast kinda ruined the game for me, same with New Vegas. I really want to love those two games, but I can't get past the slow movement.

Metal Gear Solid V was a bit of a different story. I bought the collector's edition of the game for PS4 last September when it came out, but didn't even own a PS4 yet, and I was already sitting on a copy of Ground Zeroes which I had also not played. I had been putting aside some money here and there so I could save up for a system, but this past May my brother gave me his Star Wars edition PS4 for my 30th birthday. It was one he got from GameStop. Perks of being a store manager I guess. Either way, it was a very generous gift that I actually felt a little guilty accepting, and even more guilty opening. So, as a long time follower and die hard fan of the Metal Gear series, of course the first thing I did was break out my copy of Ground Zeroes, and I loved every second of it. Phantom Pain, though, as addicted to that game as I got, and as many hours as I put into it, I actually kind of hated it as part of the Metal Gear series. It felt more like a 3rd person Far Cry game with Metal Gear characters thrown in. I was also very sore that Kiefer Sutherland had replaced David Hayter as the voice of Snake. I personally thought he was a bad choice. Not a bad voice actor per se, but David Hayter WAS Snake in my mind and they would have had A LOT more dialogue to work with, not to mention it would have been the correct voice. I found myself confused at times when I was listening to dialogue, because I legitimately couldn't tell that Snake was the one speaking. He pronounced nuclear as "nucular" at one point and I actually scoffed, but I digress. I don't regret playing the game and I will probably play through it again at some point, but it didn't feel like it belonged in the Metal Gear universe. It didn't feel like a Metal Gear game, and a lot of the significant story elements that felt epic and mysterious in previous games and made me hungry to learn more about the story, seemed to be haphazardly touched upon in this most recent chapter, if not even ruined completely. A lot of the story toward the end of the game felt very rushed and as if it was more of an afterthought than a core part of the game, which is about the complete opposite that I've come to expect from Metal Gear Solid games. I might not have bittersweet feelings toward this game if the original games weren't so dear to me, but it's almost as if a part of my childhood died with 5. This game is a special case and I can't compare any other gaming experience to it. I loved it and hated it all at the same time.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

@eastmcduck: Interesting read. I can definitely see where you're coming from in regard to MGSV. Thanks for sharing!
Any other titles for you on the horizon now that you have access to the PS4 library?
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

@eastmcduck:
Very interesting indeed,I couldnt disagree more with you on the game but it's certainlly valid, if you could indulge my curiosity had you played Peace Walker before this and what did you want/were your expectations for the story? Also now that you finnished the game you might wanna check out a fellow by the name of Superbunnyhop he made a video on the game that I think speaks to what alot of people including you felt about it.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I pretty much agree with that assessment. I liked the size and complexity of the areas and the bosses were good fun, with one in particular hitting the heights of Bloodborne and the original Dark Souls in terms of grandeur. As a whole, it was basically a lore-light Painted World of Ariamis crossed with the Hunter's Nightmare, which is a fine thing. It took me five hours including lots of suicide runs.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

So a few days ago, I finished Tearaway Unfolded on the PS4 and I have to say that I have not felt such a sense of childlike wonder from a game in years. The fact that you can decorate characters and parts of the world gave this title a sense of gleeful playfulness throughout. This game breaks the fourth wall in so many ways just through its gameplay such as throwing items into your controller and the latter parts of the story implying that the player is a form of god over the world which truly make this title stand out.
Also, was not expecting such a cutesy little platformer to have such emotion in it, particularly near the end. Going into the controller to rescue the lost messenger had a tragic, creepy vibe throughout the whole level. And when you find out that the message that iota is delivering is about the adventures you had together I did a huge awww at the screen. I got insanely attached to the baby wendigo you rescue, loved it as soon as I seen it. And the fact that you defeat the villains in this game by making them look pretty is a great way to wrap up that storyline, a standard boss battle would not have worked for this story at all and I applaud Media Molecule for taking such an approach.
Honestly, the only real issue I have with this is that the camera can be a bit of a pain in certain sections but due to the very generous checkpoints you never get frustrated enough to chuck the controller, you are always compelled to keep going. There were so many moments in this where I would put down the controller and just marvel at this beautiful arts and craft world that the game takes place in, its sense of atmosphere is astounding. Apologies if I am being hyberbolic but there were moments in Tearaway Unfolded that made my jaw drop with its sheer invention and originality. Moments that matched the first time you run outside the castle in Mario 64. An absolute gem that I will never forget, completely recommend it.
eastmcduck

Post by eastmcduck »

*SPOILERS BELOW!!!*
KSubzero1000 wrote:@eastmcduck: Interesting read. I can definitely see where you're coming from in regard to MGSV. Thanks for sharing!
Any other titles for you on the horizon now that you have access to the PS4 library?
There are a few games I'd like to play, yup! Definitely looking forward to the new God Of War, The Last Guardian, Resident Evil 7, and Mass Effect Andromeda. There are some current titles I may try out while I'm waiting for new stuff, but I've been mostly sticking with PC gaming lately. Rise of the Tomb Raider looks pretty interesting, and I did play the original Tomb Raider games on Playstation, so I'll probably go with a PS4 copy of that.
Todinho wrote:@eastmcduck:
Very interesting indeed,I couldnt disagree more with you on the game but it's certainlly valid, if you could indulge my curiosity had you played Peace Walker before this and what did you want/were your expectations for the story? Also now that you finnished the game you might wanna check out a fellow by the name of Superbunnyhop he made a video on the game that I think speaks to what alot of people including you felt about it.
Yes sir, I played Peace Walker on PSP when it came out and again when I picked up the HD collection for PS3. I also own Legacy Collection, which ended up being basically the same as HD collection with a copy of MGS4 and a download voucher for MGS1. I tended to blindly buy Metal Gear Solid stuff if that tells you how much of a fanboy I was (and still am to a degree.) In a lot of ways the story in 5 went pretty much where I was expecting it to, but at the same time it didn't really conclude Big Boss's story like I thought it would. I was expecting them to show how he went from being the Legendary Hero to his decent into evil. During that last mission where you go through the quarantine zone and have to execute your own guys who have become infected with the vocal cord parasite, you kind of get the feeling (or at least I did) that this is supposed to be Big Boss's decent, but then you find out you've been playing the entire time as a decoy to keep the real Big Boss safe. I thought a majority of the story was brilliant up until the later missions of the game where they lost me with the twists. I felt there were a lot of unanswered questions as well. Like, is this kid with the gas mask Psycho Mantis as a child? Who exactly is Eli and where did he take Sahelanthropus? Why was Huey so angry over you executing your own guys at the end when he was responsible for the parasite breakout? I could probably go on, but I don't want to ramble too much. I think the game is a masterpiece in it's own right, it just didn't resonate with me in the same way the previous games did. I think some of my dissatisfaction has to do with age and cynicism, too, not to mention I was just used to MGS being a linear game that takes 8 - 16 hours to play the first time around, and they definitely strayed from that formula. The way David Hayter was ditched for Kiefer Sutherland definitely left a bad taste in my mouth too. I plan on playing through it again at some point or another. I definitely had some confusion by the end of the game and I wonder if another playthrough will clear any of that up. I know there have been movies I've had to watch more than once to get.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Spoilers incoming:
The Sutherland thing does make sense though, having played through Mission 46, right? I do know where you're coming from but if it at least makes sense, as much as MGS ever makes total sense. Eli is Liquid Snake. That Floating Boy is Psycho Mantis, yeah. As for Sahelanthropus, they basically never finished that mission in time but you can watch the cut scenes and maybe story board on YT. I think it was given away with a certain edition of the game on a DVD or something, I forget. Equally, there was supposedly a third chapter, Peace, but I think that's actually just the cut scene which would hypothetically trigger if all the FOB nukes were disarmed. Again, you can see this on YT.
Further, Kojima was interviewed by the novelization guy about what the ending really means, and other stuff. Some people found it to be bullshit but I think he touches upon some beautiful complex ideas and it's one of the most interesting things I've ever read about gaming.

https://webnewtype.com/special/metalgear/en_01/
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

@eastmcduck: If you're even remotely interested in the Souls franchise, may I recommend Bloodborne? An acquired taste for sure, but one of the very best games I have ever played, especially in the last few years. As a new PS4 owner, you might be in for a treat.

@Stanshall: But no, it doesn't make sense.
Big Boss Ending? Ground Zeroes? Truth tapes??? It would have been the much better choice to use Hayter for those few scenes and would have sold the twist in a much more convincing way.
"As much as MGS ever makes total sense" seems like rather cheap handwaving to me. I don't recall the other games leaving such blatant holes. They at least tried to provide coherent explanations for a lot of stuff, even if it didn't always worked. MGSV completely leaves you hanging on a bunch of stuff.
Now, if you enjoy the final product the way it is, then more power to you! I mean it. But this seems like one of the better examples of that game's issues to me.

All in all, I find the reputation of the MGS games to be these needlessly convoluted plot hole festivals to be somewhat artificial and undeserved.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

@eastmcduck
Cool,not your cases but some people felt very alienated by V because they didnt play PW before and didnt really like the new mission based structure but to be fair PW did a much better job in keeping the rythim of the other games,meanwhile in V there are alot of moments that you seem not to make alot of progress and not be doing much besides the missions for gameplay's sake and being drip fed audio tapes I also think because of the more sparse nature of the cutscenes many of characters of the game didnt really get to shine all that much,and much of their development and best moments comes in the audio tapes like Skullface,Code Talker and Huey.
Now on your expectations of the story I feel like that's what really diferentiates me from most other fans because I personnally wasnt really looking foward to it,precisely for the reasons you gave that you were expecting XD ,to go into more detail why I ended up liking the story I'll go into spoiler territory:
So to me I was really looking foward to Phantom Pain because I loved the gameplay in PW and this was gonna be that but way better by not being restricted to the PSP,buy storywise I was really dreading it because the talk that it would be the game that shows the "fall" of Big Boss and I really dislike that, this is because the ending of MGS3 is so good that it signals you how that man was gonna become the leader of a nation state of soldiers against the US you really dont need anything else to understand that,now Peace Walker did expand on that but it did it in the exactly right way by taking the man that had the ideas and emotional turmoil and turns him into a inspiring leader,the game's constants alusions to Che Guevara are not a coincidence, and the thing about great leaders is that they are revered by some and hated by others :D ,in the end of the game when Boss gives his speech "This is Outer Heaven!" he is the exact same man philosofically as he is in the end of Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. To me Boss didnt need to have a revenge filled story to "turn to the dark side" and be evil and against the US,no that would be assuming that the US governament was a good guy and that's not what Metal Gear is about,the moral greyness has been a part of the series since it's creation for example in MGS2 Solidus is the antagonist and you can disagree with his methods but is he really wrong in wanting to restore freedom to America after it was stolen by the Patriots?And the Patriots AI by itself are they evil by wanting to control human society when shown that time and time again humans can destroy each other?Everybody is right and everybody is wrong and even that is gonna vary depending on who you ask, there in lies the beauty of MGSV story to me.
To me the story at first really wasnt clicking I mean it was a standart revenge story so I was way more invested in the overarching thematic stuff contained mostly in the tapes like the nature of langagues,symbols and culture.Those really resonated with me and it was the second part of the game that really delivered what I wanted to see from the story,for example you mentioned the Shining lights mission and that was the most emotional draining moment I had in a videogame in awhile I mean I felt sick to my stomach that doesnt happen often when Im playing a videogame,now I also thought that the reveal that you`re not Big Boss(it was starting to get pretty obvious at a point there) would take away from that but it actually put the whole thing in a new light,I mean look at those guys they venerate Big Boss they feel they are apart of something greater and are willing to be killed by him yet the dark irony is that the real Big Boss isnt even aware that they exist,that calls into question the whole enterprise of mother base I mean you start to realize that the whole atmosphere of the place isnt very healthy once think about it which in turn makes Hueys desperate pleas ring alot more true,his tape where his about to be lynched by the soldiers cuts to the core of what`s wrong with everybody in MB.
I could go on but it would get too long XD but the whole nature of Chapter 2 is deconstructing symbols,especially that of Big Boss and Outer Heaven because above being a person and a place they are above all an idea,the clever thing is that it actually does the "fall" of Big Boss without it being a revenge story or anything by making Big Boss do to the player character what the US did to the Boss he is erasing you for the greater good of the cause. And lastly there's the meta-aspect of the ending that I really love and that I dont think alot of people appreciatte but think about it,compare the position of us the player and Kojima as the mastermind of the Metal Gear series,in this context Kojima is like Big Boss of the Metal Gear series(and in every game the portrayal of Snake reflects Kojima's personal feelings) he is the name on every box the author that people respect and will remember however in this ending Kojima is saying that his "legend" would be nothing without us the players that helped build his legend,that we are just as important in building that legacy as he is but we will remain nameless in history,he is saying that despite years in the future people talk about Kojima&Metal Gear and our individual names will be gone here he is saying "you are just as important,we built it together" especially how the story ends with Big Boss heading off into the distance as Kojima was heading off from the series.
All of this is not to say that any of your dislikes and disapointemments arent valide or that the game has to click with you now I just wanted to provide another point of view and way see the story :D