The box art thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: The box art thread

Post by KSubzero1000 »

My favourite Fire Emblem box art. So many details crammed on this little piece of cardboard and it sets the scene perfectly.

I love minimalist covers / art in general, and this one manages to evoke so much with so little. Much better than the US version with the pink (!) sky and all the later variations of "Leon with a GUN".

Speaking of minimalism, the reversible box art of the Team ICO Collection is also one of the greats. Beautiful and awe-inspiring, much like the games themselves.

I'm sure I'm missing a lot more, though.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

My all time favourite is probably the Japanese box art for Perfect Dark.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

KSubzero1000 wrote: August 1st, 2017, 8:54 pm Image
I love minimalist covers / art in general, and this one manages to evoke so much with so little. Much better than the US version with the pink (!) sky and all the later variations of "Leon with a GUN".
My man. I did a 'best box art' top 5 for a website many years ago and this was my nr. 1 pick.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Flabyo wrote: August 1st, 2017, 10:18 pm My all time favourite is probably the Japanese box art for Perfect Dark.
I've never seen that before but I agree, it's wonderful.

Makes you wonder how the versions can differ so dramatically.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

This box can be credited as the reason I got into games at the tender age of four.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The monkey island box arts were definitely aiming for that Drew Struzan look, it’s even more obvious with the second games I think.

(It’s not surprising, what with the Lucas link and all that)
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Flabyo wrote: August 2nd, 2017, 2:03 pm The monkey island box arts were definitely aiming for that Drew Struzan look, it’s even more obvious with the second games I think.

(It’s not surprising, what with the Lucas link and all that)
Absolutely - probably none more so than the Fate of Atlantis art, also an early favourite of mine.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Flabyo wrote: August 1st, 2017, 10:18 pm My all time favourite is probably the Japanese box art for Perfect Dark.
Reminds me a bit of the Nikita movie poster. In spirit, at least.
Michiel K wrote: August 2nd, 2017, 12:24 pm My man. I did a 'best box art' top 5 for a website many years ago and this was my nr. 1 pick.
We should be going over hospital records and stuff. I'm starting to get some serious "separated at birth"-vibes. :P
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

^^^^ Haha!
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

The first gaming console that my parents caved and bought for me was Sega Master System. They also bought two extra games to make the effort worthwhile ('twas a very generous Christmas in hindsight). Of course I picked Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap, because of the awesome meka-dragon I saw on the TV ads, and the other title, which was going for a bit cheaper, was Transbot:

I guess my childhood imagination was filling in the details that weren't on the cover. After all I did grow up with Transformers and Voltron, so a transforming robot? Sign me up!

So many years of PAL region artwork, unaware of the awesome artwork from other regions...
Suits

Post by Suits »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: August 4th, 2017, 12:02 am The first gaming console that my parents caved and bought for me was Sega Master System.
Mine too man, although my two games I had bundled were Teddy Boy and My Hero - dire games.

The box art matches the gameplay but the covers themselves I hold a "only a mother would love" affection for.

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Suits wrote: August 4th, 2017, 1:21 pm
Joshihatsumitsu wrote: August 4th, 2017, 12:02 am The first gaming console that my parents caved and bought for me was Sega Master System.
Mine too man, although my two games I had bundled were Teddy Boy and My Hero - dire games.

The box art matches the gameplay but the covers themselves I hold a "only a mother would love" affection for.

There's a certain beauty to how ugly they were. That Teddy Boy cover tells me nothing of what that game is about! Maybe it was an earlier form of "trolling"! ;)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I thought I'd share this:

TGB is not exactly the most highbrow critic out there, and the humor might very well fall flat for some, but I found it funny and interesting enough.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

It's one of my favourite games, but I hate the bloody box art.

And as much as I love this game, I hate this cover. It's bland and tells you absolutely nothing about what kind of game it is.

And lastly, what the fuck is this?

In contrast, I love this and it suits the game perfectly.

As does this.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Fortunately PAL Suikoden did not have that cover!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

You should probably be following @boxartscrewup and @CoolBoxArt on twitter if the good and bad of the art form is your thing. The latter is a more regular tweeter, but they’re both often full of gold.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

And the Box vs. Box Tumblr too!
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

dezm0nd wrote: February 4th, 2016, 5:27 am Well, the new Doom boxart won't be winning any awards for imagination and presentation. So boring!

Yeah that boxart is one of the most generic "dude posing with gun" covers I have seen to date and does not represent the game at all.

However the Switch version seems to make up for that in spades, now THIS is more like it!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The previous versions had that on the inside of a reversible sleeve.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »