Retro gaming

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
chase210

Re: Retro gaming

Post by chase210 »

I have a thing on the back of my GameCube to make it work through HDMI on my 65 inch OLED, and its really swell. If i ever get the space though, i will try and get a CRT.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Pconpi wrote: July 29th, 2021, 7:37 pm I picked up a 27" Sony Trinitron yesterday for $50 https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-kv-27fs120/. I had been playing Gamecube and Wii games on my 60" 4k TV with component cables and switching between widescreen and 4:3 formats. It was fine and I've played through multiple titles this way but was curious if switching back to a CRT and 480i would be noticeably better as people have said. I plugged in the Cube and loaded up Wind Waker and was really pleased with how gorgeous it was in comparison to the 4k TV. I think going to 27" from 60" and natural 4:3 format is doing a lot of the work but the sound of turning on the CRT and the static the screen creates is pretty awesome nostalgia. Curious how using a small 20" LCD/LED screen at 480p would compare. I also was pleased at how much better the Wii remote works on a smaller screen. Not having the cursor travel all the real estate of a 60" really improved the experience. Bigger isn't always better :D

*The games I will be working through on this CRT beauty (GC Pikimin 2, Killer 7, Luigi's Mansion, Ikaruga/Wii Twilight Princess, Warioland Shake it, Metroid Prime 3, Muramasa, Super Paper Mario, and Punch Out)
Nice, enjoy! I got a 16:9 Philips CRT from my mom recently as the 3rd boob tube in my house now. I think I'm going to connect the Wii to it, instead of to the large plasma flatscreen.
Pconpi

Post by Pconpi »

Thinking of your back with that 16:9 Philips...hopefully you can deadlift 120 lbs. Seems like a good call to get the benefits of CRT with widescreen. I've really fallen for my CRT. I've paused my Twilight Princess run as I picked up Banjo Kazooie and I am playing through it for the first time and just loving the whole experience.
Pconpi

Post by Pconpi »

Looking at getting a controller to play the SNES games on the Wii. I see there is a Club Nintendo SNES controller and the Wii Classic Controller Pro. Anyone have any experience or preference with either for SNES games on the Wii? Thinking specifically about D pad and button feel…
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Pconpi wrote: January 15th, 2022, 12:48 am Looking at getting a controller to play the SNES games on the Wii. I see there is a Club Nintendo SNES controller and the Wii Classic Controller Pro. Anyone have any experience or preference with either for SNES games on the Wii? Thinking specifically about D pad and button feel…
I've always used the standard classic controller for emulation on the Wii, works well as a SNES pad. You know the white one you have to plug in to the WiiMote. By the way, if you haven't and want to, it's dead easy to hack a Wii and it's fantastic for 8 and 16bit emulation.

EDIT: Be careful with that Club Nintendo SNES pad, it may be the one they released for the Switch, not sure it would work on Wii (but it may, I don't know).
Pconpi

Post by Pconpi »

Thanks for the thoughts on the classic controller. Definitely utilizing the Wii’s SNES emulation capabilities as I was curious about the Japan only releases that have fan translations. Some interesting titles to try out for sure.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Pconpi wrote: August 4th, 2021, 10:49 pm Thinking of your back with that 16:9 Philips...hopefully you can deadlift 120 lbs. Seems like a good call to get the benefits of CRT with widescreen. I've really fallen for my CRT. I've paused my Twilight Princess run as I picked up Banjo Kazooie and I am playing through it for the first time and just loving the whole experience.
It wasn't easy lugging it around, no. But it's been set up for a while and it's a joy to use the Wii on. That console occupies a strange space of still being standard definition in output, but most of its games supporting and benefiting from wide screen. As seen here.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Michiel K wrote: January 16th, 2022, 7:11 pm It wasn't easy lugging it around, no. But it's been set up for a while and it's a joy to use the Wii on. That console occupies a strange space of still being standard definition in output, but most of its games supporting and benefiting from wide screen. As seen here.
Absolutely perfect for some pre-digital, forced 16:9 games like RE:4 on Wii.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Flabyo wrote: August 13th, 2020, 4:48 pm I have some new shiny things.

Come on man, mark stuff like this NSFW ...
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Suits wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 6:59 pm Absolutely perfect for some pre-digital, forced 16:9 games like RE:4 on Wii.
Definitely!