Retro gaming

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
OldBailey

Re: Retro gaming

Post by OldBailey »

Oh wow, I'd not heard of that before. Guess I got lucky with my copy.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Suits wrote: May 21st, 2020, 5:39 pm
Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: May 21st, 2020, 4:01 pm Yeah I saw your JogCon posts Suits - it's a beautiful thing! I was very tempted to pick one up, and may still do it if I really fall in love with RR4. One of the games I'm most excited about.
I’d be more than happy to drop in a box and post it to you if you wanted to try it - like I said, it really elevated my enjoyment of the game.

Just let me know if you fancy it 👍🏽.
That is an incredibly generous offer Suits! I was all set to bite your hand off and then thought "hold on - can you actually plug original controllers into the Polymega?".

Unfortunately the answer is 'yes' and 'no', and in the case of Playstation controllers, it's a 'no'. The base system comes with its own controller, and also supports a variety of modern third party controllers as well (for example Retrobit's excellent recent wireless and USB replica Saturn pads). But it doesn't have ports for the original controllers of all the CD-based systems it supports out of the box.

The separate modules you can purchase in order to play the cartridge systems (all regions/versions of Mega Drive & 32X, SNES, NES, and PC Engine) do however come with both a custom controller designed for that system, plus ports for original controllers. I've not ordered any of these as I'm really in it for the CD systems, but I do still have a small collection of Mega Drive carts that might tempt me to pick up that module at some point.

Long story short - I can't use a JogCon :cry:

But thank you again for the kind offer!
Sinclair Gregstrum

BaileyBoy wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 12:28 pm Oh wow, I'd not heard of that before. Guess I got lucky with my copy.
Yeah we moan about modern consoles and game always hitting us with updates and patches, but at least game-breaking bugs are largely a thing of the past!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I'd never heard of that before either! I don't think my copy had that bug, at least I don't remember ever encountering it. I've still got my disc so could try it out at some point.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Localisation is something I find to be a fascinating topic (and not just cause I tend to end up in charge of it on the games I work on these days).

Mentioned it a few times, but the articles on legendsoflocalization.com are well worth your time.

There were some weird policies in the early 32 bit days, but in the end Sony and later MS enforcing those things did cause everyone to raise their game a lot. The idea of a square game getting a translation as awful as the original ff7 one now is... well, not a thing.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

We don't really have a "Freshly purchased" thread, do we? Oh well, this'll do.

So, a few days ago I bought "5 X Original Sony Playstation 2 Empty Box Cases" on ebay because I noticed how some of my games weren't looking their best and I wanted to freshen up my collection a bit, what with the spring and everything.

Today I receive:

...like it's the most natural thing in the world that I'm supposed to just chuck the shit game discs / covers / literature in the bin and keep the cases. Our world is going downhill fast. :lol:

I also grabbed:

... which I've heard good things about. Never came out in Europe, though!

And:

Obviously.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Little thing I used to do with GameCube cases, was when I was out and looking I would see a FIFA or Tiger and if the case was decent - I’d pick it up.

Often those types of games were, between 50p and £1 and much cheaper than buying and paying for postage of bundled of cases from eBay.

Nice pick ups, thanks for sharing 👍🏽.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

That's an excellent strat and I seem to recall having done exactly that at least once in the past.

Only problem is that it's a bit rare for me to find mint condition games in the wild where I live, and certainly not at those prices when I do. So this was the next best solution. It kinda worked out in the end! :D
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah, that’s worked out well for you by the looks of things, going to be hard throwing out those inlays and contents mind 😬 - just wanted to mention it, as it‘a worked very well for me in the past and currently.

I’m a case nut, it’s gotta be a tight as possible and the correct colour for the release etc...

What’s the Glory of Heracles all about then ??
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Glory of Heracles! That's a bit of a blast from the past. It was on the future release list when I was at NoE for quite a while, as in projects that we had to take on in the future, but it eventually disappeared off that list and I can't remember any solid reason why.
Sinclair Gregstrum

BaileyBoy wrote: May 21st, 2020, 4:35 pm Make sure you check out Wipeout 3 SE
Well I picked it up Bailey!

Got that double pack with Destruction Derby 2 in mint condition for £22. The game on its own is still a lot more than that, so while I'm not bothered about DD2 wasn't going to pay a premium for just Wipeout!

Now if my Polymega would just turn up I could actually play the bloody thing...

OldBailey

Post by OldBailey »

Nice one!!! Absolute classic, enjoy.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I had a lot of fun with the DD games, but I suspect they’ve not aged quite so well.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Flabyo wrote: June 10th, 2020, 8:16 am I had a lot of fun with the DD games, but I suspect they’ve not aged quite so well.
The menu system on DD2 is awful in my opinion.

Vague and unclear.

The season mode is hidden away in some weird menu process.
Sinclair Gregstrum

It's not a series I've had any experience with at all so kind of interested to give it go, but as Flabyo said, I'm not expecting it too have aged particularly well.

It certainly always looked a lot of fun back in the day, but the Saturn version of the first game was always regarded as a shoddy port so I gave that a miss, and the subsequent games never released on a system I owned.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Obviously not OG hardware here but I thought I'd take a punt on one of those RG350M Chinese handheld emulator jobs and it's superb! I've got stuff running previously via the PS Classic and assorted devices over the years but never really bothered much with emu.

Anyway:

Progear on a little handheld

G-Darius on a little handheld

Also been playing Einhander, MGS, Tomb Raider, Dodonpachi (!), some PC Engine stuff, Neo Geo Pocket, GBA. Really really pleased with it and how well everything is running.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Nice! What's the build quality like? Reasonable price? I use my Vita for handheld emulation but this looks nice as a dedicated emulation machine. Have you tried any SNES games or later Nintendo stuff? Even on the Vita SNES isn't always perfect, so interesting to see how it runs on that. Is the screen nice? Looks good in the photos.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

It's £100 approx. Build quality is really solid, it's got a bit of weight to it. Nice little screen. The two shoulder buttons on each shoulder are a bit awkward I guess but I've not played anything where I need them yet. Using all single button is fine and comfortable. The D-pad and buttons feel good to me, I've been tap-dodging my way through a couple of stages of some bullet hell stuff, so it's pretty good. It's a shitload better than the Joycons or the Pro Controller D-pad, for context. Not quite as good as the PS4 D-pad but solid. The analogue sticks seem very similar to the Switch Joycon sticks, they're absolutely fine and work just as nicely as a D-pad alternative for digital controls in MAME etc.

In terms of Nintendo, it won't do anything beyond GBA. SNES seems OK but not as solid as the Switch Online, to be honest. PS1 and Neo Geo are better. I guess that's an emulator issue.

The screen is small coming off the Switch but I just cleared two stages of Progear on it without the losing a life, so visibility and readability are really good considering how much shit is filling the little screen. I'm not really very familiar with the game but it's responsive and clear enough for me to read and tap dodge my way through it.

If you have a Vita, I'd expect that to do what this can and more but for my needs, FB Alpha and PS1 emu, it's ace.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Been wanting to play this on my Saturn for a while now, but obviously I needed the controller and the bundle was of clear interest to me.

Needs a good clean and freshen up but it's all in good condition overall.

I managed to get it for a reasonable price too, so I'm happy and buzzing to see what its all about.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

^^^^

Damn, that's still on my shopping list as well. Don't know if I'll love it as much as a lot of other people seem to do, but it seems like such a quintessential SEGA Saturn experience, next to all the ports of 2D arcade games I have on it.