Retro gaming

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Alex79 »

Speak to Joshihatsumitsu on here, he's made more than one, I believe.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Suits, is this you and Michiel spreading your CRT gospel?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... knows-why/
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

^^^^
Haha!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Love it :D
Suits

Post by Suits »

Chopper wrote: August 16th, 2019, 7:34 pm Suits, is this you and Michiel spreading your CRT gospel?
Downer - BUSTED !!!

Lololololol

I saw this in the r/crtgaming thread a few days ago.

It’s cool man, it’s jokes, but I understand that the homeowners are known fans and enthusiasts of the hardware.

The work that’s being done in terms of getting old analogue systems looking good on modern panels is excellent - it gets better by the month.

BUT, nothing comes close to how good these old tubes display RGB signal.

They are dying out, they’re breaking and the parts and knowledge to repair them is fading too.

I consider myself lucky in the regard that I had the opportunity to pick up a top level CRT (PVM) before they became extremely sort after and desired.

I met a dude around the back of White City BBC in London 5+ years ago and paid £200 then, for a 20” Sony PVM.

The fuzz, pop and static on these are incredible and there’s no technology in existence that can yet replicate the glow and charge that a CRT delivers.

If anyone ever wants to relive or see what these look like in the modern era of panels and liquid displays - let me know, I’d be so pleased to show them first hand how these older analogue consoles can look and perform.

It won’t be long and they’ll all be gone 😩.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Making me tear up here, Suits.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

:lol:

I’m visiting my parents this weekend and there’s a 30” Trinitron in the front room. I just measured it and it’s around 12 cubic feet (3x2x2)
Suits

Post by Suits »

Fcuking BEAST.

Ask it if it’s seeing anyone.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

:lol:
Suits wrote: August 17th, 2019, 6:15 pm Fcuking BEAST.

Ask it if it’s seeing anyone.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Not really been picking up too much recently, its been summer, I've been on holiday and the opportunity hasn't taken me.

But this is what I picked up last week from various places.

Couple of Sega games.

I don't actually have the Revenge of Shinobi, even though it's a massive childhood game of mine that looks stunning and sounds incredible.

Well now I have it.

Cart, Instructions, Box all in very good condition as it goes, especially once I give it a good clean. Certainly for £12 in CEX.

These I spotted by a re-seller at a Car-Boot-Sale. they were part of a Master System, bundle that was up for sale but he agreed to separate these out for me.

R-Type is rad, pretty decent port actually, has the manual but needs a new box.

Then TransBot is something you just need if you have a Master System because the box art is dope. Again a bit scruffy but is complete.

These should come up lovely once they are given some TLC.

The pair for £10.

Then theres the usual Gameboy haul which I love too pick up at any chance I can.

These are from various CEX's, car boots, sofas, friends and bundles I pick up.

Sadly most are swaps but of the four I need here it brings me to 150 Gameboy games, although only 40 are boxed.

These will all be cleaned and treated as well, also, I have quite a decent amount of good spare cases now, so these will all be housed and loved.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Transbot is terrible. One of the worst games on the System.

But you probably know that already, hehe.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Flabyo wrote: August 28th, 2019, 10:05 pm Transbot is terrible. One of the worst games on the System.

But you probably know that already, hehe.
I’ve not actually played it yet mate, although I’m aware it’s pretty naff.

I just have a bit of a soft spot for that box art 😄.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The music in it is... a thing. That exists.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I’ve recached the end of my five year GameCube collection adventure – but I’ve come up short of the line.

It’s been loads of fun, a great adventure. I’ve met plenty of cool people and it’s been exciting finding games you need and learning about the systems library.

I’m under 50 short of a full PAL set (449) but I’ve just ran out of desire for it.

A number of factors has led to this.

Space.

This is a serious factor in any collection. A full set is roughly 450 games, if you’re going for full PAL-UK, this excludes reginal games that were only released in France, in French etc…. That’s effectively two IKEA Billy bookcases stacked top to bottom. I have rather a lot of other games on other systems too (over 1000) so shelf space is a premium and its pushing collection like Saturn and Dreamcast into areas of the office I don’t like.

This will give me much more space to organise things nicely and room for future pickups and expansion.

The missing games.

These suck, they are mostly now terrible third party games that were late release and sold badly. Because of this, they can reach upwards of £200 for something I don’t even want to look at.

To finish the collection, cost wise, you’ll be looking at about £1000. The whole PAL set, would likely be around £6000.

Forking out serious money for games like Chibbi Robo, Mario Party 7 (Big Box), or Kirby’s Air Ride is easier, than for games like Disney Sport Basketball, Gadget Racers (£200) or the Powerpuff Girls.

The solution.

Trim down my displayed collection to just the game I want, want to play or are interesting.

I’ve taken out all the first Nintendo titles, the big box games, games I love and then other cool curios on the system and kept them out on the shelves – about 100 in all.

I’ve also left a few of the big price games in there as they make good conversational pieces as to why they are expensive, Frogger etc..

The cull.

Then the rest (300+ below) are the shovel wear, or other naff entries I have no real desire for outside of the full PAL set.

I will likely wrap these up, box them up and store them somewhere secure (the loft I’d expect)

I’m not ruling out picking up any further GameCube games in the future should I come across titles I need if they are deals but for now - I’m done.

To the loft with these......

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Honestly, I never quite understood the urge to buy every single game ever released on a platform regardless of quality. Even as an ardent defender and collector of physical media, I'd much rather have a tight, curated selection of great games than a catalogue of absolutely everything.

I'm not trying to be mean, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I totally understand why you might have reached your breaking point after all these years. The remaining shovelware probably isn't worth all the effort and monetary investment.

Space is also definitely a factor. I'm sure you'll appreciate the extra breathing room! :)
Suits

Post by Suits »

The urge came from going to boot sales, CD stores, markets and other outlets and seeing games for 50p.

This turned into a ritual where a few of us would get up early on a Sunday, grab a coffee, bacon roll and go game hunting.

After a few years, you would suddenly find you’ve amassed quite a collection, well over 50% - so the thought of, maybe I can get all these came up.

I suppose it turned into a bit of a sticker album.

However, over the coming years the desire to collect these became higher for a lot of people, thus less were about and prices soared.

In turn making it less of a cheap few penny pick ups, into a burden.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Ah, I see.

One less thing to worry about, then! Doesn't sound half bad to me.

And who knows, ten years from now that pile of junk might even fetch a pretty penny if you ever decide to go down that route.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Suits wrote: September 12th, 2019, 9:43 am .. shelf space is a premium and its pushing collection like Saturn and Dreamcast into areas of the office I don’t like.
Great line :D
Suits wrote: September 12th, 2019, 9:43 am It’s been loads of fun, a great adventure. I’ve met plenty of cool people and it’s been exciting finding games you need and learning about the systems library.
Great stuff, lots of people* have a one-dimensional view of collecting and don't realise that it's more than just pawing the merchandise in one's man cave (though there's an element of that too :) ).

I'm using 'lots of people' in the Trumpian sense here, ie Me. ;)
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I'm kind of with Ksub in that I'd never go for a full library of a system myself (shovelware and all), but I also get the appeal as you explain it, Suits. Especially the whole social experience around it. So I'm sad you couldn't complete your sticker album before it became unfeasible.

That picture of all the GC games is damn impressive, though!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Suits wrote: September 12th, 2019, 10:14 am
I suppose it turned into a bit of a sticker album.

I get this bug too! I still have ebay searches set up for books/games etc to complete a set even if I have no interest in the series any more.

I need to stop doing that!

Before you bundle them away forever any shovelware you'd be interested in selling